The PC Build Thread

weelzSA

Expert Member
That some bad luck sorry to see that.

Pretty sure they will sort you out, been dealing with them and finalizing my order. But they have been super helpful, just hope this does not happen to me as I am in JHB and wont be easy to sort out.

What case did you end up buying ?
Yeah pretty sucky but they are collecting on Tuesday - not sure when I will get the replacement tho.

Luckily I wasn't waiting for the case to build new PC as that would have upset me.

Went with the Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic Black.

Hey guys
i'm looking at purchasing a lenovo y730 gaming laptop. intel 8th Gen Intel Core i7-8750H up to 4.1GHz Processor 9MB Cache, 6x Cores, 12x Threads /. 16GB DDR4 RAM / 256GB Ultra-Fast SSD + 1TB Hard Drive / 17.3" NARROW BEZEL Full HD 1920x1080 Anti-glare 144Hz Refresh Rate With IPS-Level Display / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB GDDR5 DX12 Dedicated Graphics With Desktop Level Performance

It comes with Windows home only. Could i get something very similar or better for cheaper then R21k? i have till Tuesday to make this decision, also GTX 1060 would be preffered

weelzSA

Expert Member
So I've been doing some research online (I know very late) with regards to the B450 Tomahawk and Ryzen 7 2700x. From what I've read some say they work just great even with OC applied and others say it won't work.

Can someone here maybe clarify for me?

My plan as mentioned is to have a full custom Waterloop setup and either run 2700x or one of the new Ryzen all depending on price when launched and performance.

I've already bought the mobo but if I will have trouble with it then can still return and swap for something else.

Soul Assassin

Executive Member
So I've been doing some research online (I know very late) with regards to the B450 Tomahawk and Ryzen 7 2700x. From what I've read some say they work just great even with OC applied and others say it won't work.

My plan as mentioned is to have a full custom Waterloop setup and either run 2700x or one of the new Ryzen all depending on price when launched and performance.

I've already bought the mobo but if I will have trouble with it then can still return and swap for something else.
Everything I see says it will work just fine and OC.

Lupus

Honorary Master

Should be fine. Apparently Ryzen can be tricky to overclock. I've not even tried on my 2600 then again the only recent game I delve into is the Division 2. PC gaming is only a bit cheaper then console gaming and I've been using my pc to play 4x games

weelzSA

Expert Member
So the last thing I will ask about the B450 Tomahawk :)

I see I can get this board from Amazon UK for roughly the same price: Aorus Ultra Gaming

Would it be worth going through all the trouble of sending back the B450 and then buying it on Amazon and having it sent to my friends and then me bribing it back to SA in luggage or are their no real advantages?

edit: or even the MSI X470 Gaming Pro also on sale for R2100.

ponder

Honorary Master
So the last thing I will ask about the B450 Tomahawk :)

I see I can get this board from Amazon UK for roughly the same price: Aorus Ultra Gaming

Would it be worth going through all the trouble of sending back the B450 and then buying it on Amazon and having it sent to my friends and then me bribing it back to SA in luggage or are their no real advantages?
That's entirely up to you, it's not a big deal to ship it back. That Auros is a very good MB though. Amazon US will ship it to your door all inclusive for R2660 unless you are going to the UK soon to bring it back.

weelzSA

Expert Member
I'm going there next week actually to UK which is why was looking. So should I return the Tomahawk and go with something else from Amazon?

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Core 2 Quad destroys the Phenom II X3. I love playing with these old machines so much. Will be so cool when the Phenom II X6 1055T 95watt arrives. True hexa-core performance.

I should add this C2Q only has single channel DDR2 and I am waiting for and upgrade to change that.

Before upgrade :
NCR C2D.gif

After upgrade :
NCR C2Q.gif

The X3 :

X3.gif

RaptorSA

Expert Member
Screw tech channels on Youtube and the endless obsession with benchmarks, bottlenecks, architectures etc. etc.
I really don't see the point for the average person, and even the not-so-average person (apart from fringe uses like video editing, research & full time streaming).

I almost made the mistake of dumping a bunch of cash on building a new (Ryzen) system because it's hard not to get sucked into the rabbit hole. So last night I gave myself a hands-on reality check and started to rummage through my heaps of old PC parts.
In no time I slapped together an old i5 2500K with a mini ITX board into an old Coolermaster Elite 120 ITX case I had lying around. Dropped one of the multiple old SSD's I had lying around and voila! ...I'm thoroughly impressed with how much performance you get out of a 2011 architecture.

I think it also helps that I have 50Mbps fibre internet now. All I know is that the little system chews through everything I could think of feeding it.

So now, instead of blowing more money on stuff I don't need I'm going to spend some cash on a decent 1440P IPS monitor and I've just bought an awesome little GTX 1070 Mini off Carbonite for cheap.

I'm not even going to overclock the i5 given the tiny form factor (and the fact that it's a B-series chipset board).
However, just look at the gaming benchmarks you can get with this setup:
https://www.gpucheck.com/gpu/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070/intel-core-i5-2500-3-30ghz/high#comments

I don't really know why anyone would need more, apart from professional "gamers" of course... or the benchmark obsessed.

Maybe I'm just angry at the current "elite" overpriced status of PC hardware in general, or maybe it just despise the "RGB everything!" trend more than I think I do. Whatever the case may be, I can't wait to have a Desktop system again and try out some games.

The Voice

Executive Member
Screw tech channels on Youtube and the endless obsession with benchmarks, bottlenecks, architectures etc. etc.
I really don't see the point for the average person, and even the not-so-average person (apart from fringe uses like video editing, research & full time streaming).

I almost made the mistake of dumping a bunch of cash on building a new (Ryzen) system because it's hard not to get sucked into the rabbit hole. So last night I gave myself a hands-on reality check and started to rummage through my heaps of old PC parts.
In no time I slapped together an old i5 2500K with a mini ITX board into an old Coolermaster Elite 120 ITX case I had lying around. Dropped one of the multiple old SSD's I had lying around and voila! ...I'm thoroughly impressed with how much performance you get out of a 2011 architecture.

I think it also helps that I have 50Mbps fibre internet now. All I know is that the little system chews through everything I could think of feeding it.

So now, instead of blowing more money on stuff I don't need I'm going to spend some cash on a decent 1440P IPS monitor and I've just bought an awesome little GTX 1070 Mini off Carbonite for cheap.

I'm not even going to overclock the i5 given the tiny form factor (and the fact that it's a B-series chipset board).
However, just look at the gaming benchmarks you can get with this setup:
https://www.gpucheck.com/gpu/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070/intel-core-i5-2500-3-30ghz/high#comments

I don't really know why anyone would need more, apart from professional "gamers" of course... or the benchmark obsessed.

Maybe I'm just angry at the current "elite" overpriced status of PC hardware in general, or maybe it just despise the "RGB everything!" trend more than I think I do. Whatever the case may be, I can't wait to have a Desktop system again and try out some games.
You'll notice that most reputable tech guys will actually tell you to steer away from all the overpriced fluff that has "gaming" stamped on it. It's all marketing hype, and yes, people fall for it all the time, especially uninformed buyers - it says "gaming" on it, so it must be good, right? Sure, they'll still review the products (usually because the review is sponsored), but they won't outright tell you to go buy it over something else that doesn't have "zomg rainbows, lasers and 1337 overclocking" capabilities on the front of the box. And in tests, the differences are always minimal, if any.

With PCs it's always going to be about personal preference and functionality. You need a car to get from A to B: you can do that in a rundown piece of crap, or you can do it in a Lambo. IT guys know the reality lies somewhere in the middle for most people, and that you don't need 600BHP to go the mall down the road. Of course, consumers don't know that, because it's not what they're being sold.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Agreed, I mean I've seen "gaming" written on a stick of G-Skill AEGIS 3000MHZ ram, it's like uhmm really it's just a normal stick of RAM with a darker PCB, no heat sink nothing.