The PC Build Thread

Neoprod

Honorary Master
Anyone have this monitor ? I read mixed reviews on it. Some people love it, and others say it's not that good. Anyone with it - what are your thoughts, and are there better alternatives in your opinion. I want 1440p - not HD

I have one...it's a solid monitor. Looks good next to the Dell IPS screen on my desk (color reproduction and black levels are good enough for me).

The little profile management app is useful...being able to switch to higher colour saturation / strong overdrive with a right-click before launching CSGO is great.

Fjorko

Expert Member
Also in the market for 1440p 144hz.
Just discovered this LG 27GL850 , but so sad it's not available here in SA. The Dell S2719DG is the only other one that's readily available.

Nah, can't handle a TN panel. Has to be IPS or VA at a minimum for me. I am also looking at an LG

I have one...it's a solid monitor. Looks good next to the Dell IPS screen on my desk (color reproduction and black levels are good enough for me).

The little profile management app is useful...being able to switch to higher colour saturation / strong overdrive with a right-click before launching CSGO is great.
Thanks - yes saw that review. Did you also buy from Wootware ? How is the backlight uniformity/bleed ?

Last edited:

Neoprod

Honorary Master
Nah, can't handle a TN panel. Has to be IPS or VA at a minimum for me. I am also looking at this LG

Thanks - yes saw that review. Did you also buy from Wootware ? How is the backlight uniformity/bleed ?
I don't notice any but then I don't use it in the dark and don't watch movies on my PC (just work and gaming).

Fjorko

Expert Member
I don't notice any but then I don't use it in the dark and don't watch movies on my PC (just work and gaming).
Cool - thanks man. I'm not going to ask you to check, because just now you will hate on me forever. :laugh: :laugh:

jackshiels

Expert Member
I wanna build a new PC in a few months... am I gonna have luck coinciding with new AMD processors?

RayD

Hiya

Looking for a entry level pc (read budget) for my son for gaming. Can get the below from Evetech for R8k is it A good deal, or are there better options out there? Also what is your take on going second handroute? Much appreciated:

PC Case: Standard Black Case - Included
Power Supply: Standard 400W Power Supply - Included
Processor: RYZEN 5 1600 (3.4GHz, 19MB Cache, 6x Cores, 3.6GHz Turbo) - Included
Heatsink & CPU Fan: Standard Heatsink & CPU Fan - Included
Motherboard: AMD A320 DDR4 Micro-ATX RYZEN MB - Included
Memory: 16GB DDR4 2666Mhz High Performance Gaming RAM - Included
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 1650 OVERCLOCKED Ed. 4GB GDDR5 Card - Included
Sound Card: Integrated High Quality HD Sound Card - Included
Primary Hard Drive: 256GB Ultra-Fast SSD Upto 550MB/s+ Speed Solid State Drive - Included
Network Adapter: Integrated Gigabit Network - Included

furpile

Expert Member
Hiya

Looking for a entry level pc (read budget) for my son for gaming. Can get the below from Evetech for R8k is it A good deal, or are there better options out there? Also what is your take on going second handroute? Much appreciated:

Primary Hard Drive: 256GB Ultra-Fast SSD Upto 550MB/s+ Speed Solid State Drive - Included
For R8k that seems pretty good although there are some upgrades that will make sense if you can afford it. Just check the news articles the last week for the issues with Evetech before ordering.

Newer motherboard can help in the long term, B450 or higher. I assume that CPU is the 1600AF version? Apparently faster RAM helps a lot for Ryzen builds, so 3200MHz or higher, 16GB is plenty. GTX1650 should be ok for entry level gaming, can easily be upgraded later on if required. Might want to get a normal HDD as well, since games are getting pretty big, like GTA5 is 90+ GB, or a larger SSD.

You will probably get more responses tomorrow, see what the more knowledgeable folks have to say.

PS, I had a look on their site and it looks like all the pre-built gamin PC's only have the A320 motherboard, no other options.

Neoprod

Honorary Master
Hiya

https://mybroadband.co.za/forum/threads/evetech-accused-of-breaking-the-cpa.1096016/

https://mybroadband.co.za/forum/thr...ht-into-the-tech-retailers-processes.1096294/

Prim0

Hiya

It's not bad but a few of those parts you will want to upgrade. The first two things being the case and PSU, they are seriously cheaping out on those parts. The other thing is also the motherboard but I see they don't allow for that option and then also the memory. Ryzen loves faster Ram so you will lose a bit of performance by sticking to those 2666 dimms. Once you factor in all the necessary upgrades you start you realise the reason for Evetech's bad rep. They are horrendously cheaping out on parts in their pre-builts necessitating customers to upgrade for more expensive parts or go through their refund program eventually. You are better of going on to Carbonite and purchasing items from one of their many verified resellers.

SAguy

Executive Member
Where can I find 3 pin to 2 pin fan adapters?

I'm replacing the noisy fans in my NVR with these Noctua fans , but the fan is 3 pin and my NVR has 2 pins for power.

Seven_Nine_Eight

Hi, I am building building system to do some molecular dynamics and machine learning. I am looking to build a decent system for R35 000.00
I am looking at the following specs:
AMD Ryzen 3900XT
32 GB RAM
2080ti
I have a case, storage, screens input etc.
I need a PSU and cooling.

Now I need a little help with the following please:
1) Selecting the RAM and RAM clockspeeds that goes well with the CPU.
2) Good distributors with decent pricing and service. I am looking at evetech atm (this deal for the 3900 only seems decent but the RAM is iffy) but if anyone has a better suggestion feel free to share please.

UrBaN963

Honorary Master
Hi, I am building building system to do some molecular dynamics and machine learning. I am looking to build a decent system for R35 000.00
AMD Ryzen 3900XT
32 GB RAM
2080ti

2) Good distributors with decent pricing and service. I am looking at evetech atm (this deal for the 3900 only seems decent but the RAM is iffy) but if anyone has a better suggestion feel free to share please.
Nice rig. I'll be honest, I don't know much about those types of applications and whether thread-count / clock speed is more beneficial.

However, being a Ryzen-based rig, you'll benefit largely from faster RAM. Go for 3600 if you can.

Also, NEVER deal with Evetech. Just a quick search of Carbonite or MyBB will show many reasons why they are a terrible choice.
Also, that bundle oif theirs is terrible. One of the fastest AMD CPUs coupled with the shittiest motherboard and crap RAM.

Safe options would be wootware, titan-ice.co.za, dreamwaretech.co.za.

Edit: I see you have a case already, so maybe something like this (if you case can fit an AIO)

Wootware quote.PNG

Lupus

Honorary Master
AMD Ryzen 3900XT
32 GB RAM
2080ti

2080ti will take most of that budget. Look for a 2080 super.

maqs

Hiya

have you tried Wootware?
just recently built pc for my daughter
end result came out not too bad, the guys in the pc shop oved the Fractal Design Meshify case when they were putting it togther
i also went with B450 board and 3200mhz ram
mine came in at R8k but that was using ebucks and takealot vouchers otherwise its adding to R18k