The Personal Development & Financial Independence Thread

I’ve had 4 jobs in about 30 years now. Stuck with the current until I’m 64 then - quite feasible actually!
 
I'm a Millennial and I've had 2 jobs lol.
I am also a millennial but I have held 5 jobs now. I will say my story is complicated, having jumped countries in the last year. I have learnt a lot about life in North America in the time I have been up here. I am definitely loved up here; people are rooting for me.

The first year was scary and stressful - so many unknowns and so much uncertainty. However, I am seeing now that things are getting easier and more enjoyable. I have done things here that I would not have done back in ZAF and look forward to trying out other new things (part of the experience - adapting to what locals here do). Excited to see what my decisions will be in the upcoming months.

I should expect a massive tax refund in Canada in 2027 (should be between $5000 - $6000 CAD), given that I am maxing out every single tax efficient investment vehicle in 2026, and using all the unused room that I didn't use in 2025 (unused room rolls over into the following tax year).
 
Last edited:
I am also a millennial but I have held 5 jobs now. I will say my story is complicated, having jumped countries in the last year. I have learnt a lot about life in North America in the time I have been up here. I am definitely loved up here; people are rooting for me.

The first year was scary and stressful - so many unknowns and so much uncertainty. However, I am seeing now that things are getting easier and more enjoyable. I have done things here that I would not have done back in ZAF and look forward to trying out other new things (part of the experience - adapting to what locals here do). Excited to see what my decisions will be in the upcoming months.

I should expect a massive tax refund in Canada in 2027 (should be between $5000 - $6000 CAD), given that I am maxing out every single tax efficient investment vehicle in 2026, and using all the unused room that I didn't use in 2025 (unused room rolls over into the following tax year).
where about in canada?
 
where about in canada?
In Metro Vancouver.

I am starting to like it here - the first year was stressful because I felt super vulnerable. I feel that I can move with confidence now, having survived the first year.
 
Job Hopping: How to earn the salary of a 25 year old at 21. Also, how to earn the salary of a 25 year old at 50.
 
If you actually look a the LinkedIn profile of the person mentioned in that article, you can see how she hopped out of her career. Started at a company with 400k people, then moved to a company with 2k people and then moved to a company with 20 people, never stayed long enough to learn anything, downgraded for a salary bump, and then moved to another smaller company (22), and then was likely fired and then couldn’t find a job afterwards.

She even proudly states that she was the first data scientist hired for the 2nd last company, and first dev rel hire for the last (8 months). You’re not going to learn much of any of these when you only have a couple years experience and are the only person in the company doing your type of work.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X