ZCFOutkast
Expert Member
He's like SvZ. Too slow for ODIs&T20s. Same applies to Bavuma!On related news, I see Elgar got 98 off 45 just now. Still think he might be a good number 6 or 7. Bowls too.
South Africa’s biggest forum. Discuss, discover, and connect with thousands of members.
He's like SvZ. Too slow for ODIs&T20s. Same applies to Bavuma!On related news, I see Elgar got 98 off 45 just now. Still think he might be a good number 6 or 7. Bowls too.
Lonwabo Tsotsobe's last ODI for the Proteas:
http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/648653.html
View attachment 185730
Sigh!![]()
You didn't read above. Gulf in class between qualiy of bowlers they faced compared to what AB faces is a joke!
By the way, Lara, Sachin&Chanderpaul opened in ODIs, successfully too! As we all know Bradman aside, Ponting, Dravid&Sanga were 3 for the bulk of their careers - opening later in their careers in ODIs, also very successful. Very acceptable if you read what I said initially.





Four and below in ODIs you can't really be taken seriously when compared with the greats. Even more so these days when it free for all. That's the gist of my argument.






I've got plenty of reputable quotes if you like.![]()
The problem with you is that you don't read my posts. You want to disprove them but you're not keen on understanding them, merely gleaning through. Which is understandable if like most you don't think much of them or considering the length at times, perhaps naturally you have a general averseness to reading.Uh, I see, so the criteria on which you judge has changed again. He's now made to look better than he is, not only because of where he bats but also because the bowlers are rubbish! Got it...
AB currently has an average of 62 batting 3. How does that compare with Ponting, Steve, Kohli etc? (Seeing as we now not focusing on number of runs and just averages).Whatever the case might be, as a result, you're fixed on opening yet I've been referring to the top 3 - which includes openers, hence my references to Ponting, Sanga, Steve Smith&Kohli batting there. All the more reason why I said AB over QdK(1/2) or Faf(3) - top 3 the bare minimum for him against the quality of bowlers doing the rounds these days.
Secondly, you're using number of runs as opposed to average.
So you agree, opening at the beginning of your international career is a lot harder than doing it towards the 'tailend'? Or is your theory the more experienced you get the poorer you play?I was very careful to say certain players opened at the "tailend" of their careers. That includes Ponting&Mahela. Obviously Mahela much more than Ponting but the bottomline is they didn't have poor averages or starts there like AB (or QdK&now RR), prior experience conceded.
The typical cricket article always dissects the attacks most batsmen face.
I complete that list as 2.Lara, 3.Sanga, 4.Dravid, 5.Sachin, 6.Kallis.
Still guilty of neglecting to read my comments. Look back and you'll notice that I expressly said - AB may have struggled opening but he's done well at number 3, so why doesn't he continue there.AB currently has an average of 62 batting 3.
I specifically said in "Tests"Seeing as Australia are generally the benchmark let's make a quick comparison of home and away ODI averages for some of the players on your all time greats list....
I have been commenting on AB for a long time. I say the same thing to Australians about Michael Clarke on Cricinfo, I say the same to the English fans about Root sliding down then suddenly looking like a world beater. You're personalising this to AB, Proteas and now Boks, which is the problem.Truth is the only time you will comment is when he fails as that is the nature of your prejudice and bias. Same way you wait, hope and pray for the Boks to fail so too you wait, hope and pray for the Protea's to fail.
I specifically said in "Tests"
I have been commenting on AB for a long time.
You're so hell bent on your inclinations that you're missing the comment, misreading a lot, and responding to absent questions.
The one thing that you never want is when people discuss the greatest batsmen, the moment you hear something like "greatest middle order batsman", already you've been gently discounted from the equation of the true greats. I fear he'll belong to that category.
I'm always reluctant to start calling a guy a legend when he is theoretically barely half way through his international career but the fact that many already compare him with the greats is a testimony to his greatness. May he go from strength to strength! I sometimes watch and think, "has he already played his best cricket"?AB is already being touted as one of the best batsman in the history of the game, and nothing an outcast says is going to change that.
Australia’s three-time World Cup winner Adam Gilchrist has heaped praise on South Africa captain AB de Villiers, describing him as the “most valuable cricketer on the planet”.
“De Villiers is the most valuable cricketer on the planet. His versatility is extraordinary and he is amazing to watch,” said Gilchrist, who is sixth in the list of leading run-getters in the history of World Cup and with 52 dismissals is the most successful wicketkeeper.
“He’s so inventive … he can play a touch game or a power game. Then, he can also keep wickets. He’s also one of the best fielders in the world and recently has taken some wickets when he had a bowl. And he leads his team very well, so, I think he’s the most valuable cricketer around.”
I'm always reluctant to start calling a guy a legend when he is theoretically barely half way through his international career but the fact that many already compare him with the greats is a testimony to his greatness. May he go from strength to strength! I sometimes watch and think, "has he already played his best cricket"?
This is quite an interesting article (but probably written by a ex-player who knows nothing :wtf...
http://indianexpress.com/article/sp...ost-valuable-cricketer-around-adam-gilchrist/
Indeed, as will Warner, Kohli, Rahane, Smith, Kane Williamson, Root, Mathews, Monimul Haque (Bangladesh) etc!AB is already being touted as one of the best batsman in the history of the game...
AB hasn't even had a Test year as dominant as Warner, Smith, Amla or Root.
He'll feature in very few stats that one calls up. Total runs per year, highest averages, most centuries in a year etc.
Parnell...