The Rugby Thread - Part Deux

Marx's workload at hooker is heavy on account of inadequate 2nd and 3rd choice hookers.

Inadequate is the wrong word. The disparity between 1st choice and 2nd choice is vast.

I honestly don't feel anything should be done to increase Malcolm's workload.

If anything we should be pacing him up to 2027 RWC.
 
How many of them are better at winning turnovers on the ground?
Probably none. Perhaps the opportunity for jackle is increased playing off of the flank but if Malcolm were to play a full 80 he should probably do it at hooker.

If he moves to flank and Grobbelaar comes on at 2 for example, overall you are not gaining a jackler. .
 
Probably none. Perhaps the opportunity for jackle is increased playing off of the flank but if Malcolm were to play a full 80 he should probably do it at hooker.

If he moves to flank and Grobbelaar comes on at 2 for example, overall you are not gaining a jackler. .
He's not playing 80 this weekend
 
But as a long term solution I don't see the point if it's purely about having an extra jackler in the pack. Unless the hooker you bringing on is also a jackler? Deon Fourie or potentially Paul de Villiers...
I am REALLY missing Kwagga in the setup. The ultimate jackler as well as ripper.

Hope he recovers from his horrific injury to be available next year for the RWC....but Rassie seems optimistic.

I wonder why he did not receive the magic treatment Siya got for his knee. I assume Kwagga's was much worse...especially the meniscus tear probably.
 
Pollard 10
Herchel 9
Marx on the bench
5-3 split

Its like we jumped into the past for this weekend haha.

Somebody checked in on Matt Williams? Bloke must be so confused right now.
 
So you're saying it's not worth the 20 min experiment to see how it goes?
Marx actually played flank most of his school career. Only towards the end of his school boy career did he shift to hooker. Like really late in his career.

I recall watching him live against Parktown boys playing 7 flank.

You could see he was something special. Melting Parktownians left, right and centre.

KES won 74 something... Massacre on the reds main field, St Patrick's road...
 
As a 1 game experiment, sure try it. But not as a full time option.

I don't get the concern, wouldn't a shift from front row actually reduce his physical workload? Its his breakdown work that he's really on the field for primarily these days. The scrum won't lose anything.
 
I don't get the concern, wouldn't a shift from front row actually reduce his physical workload? Its his breakdown work that he's really on the field for primarily these days. The scrum won't lose anything.
My concern is that he is untested at international level to play flank. I don't have the technical knowledge to know if it's easy to do the positional switch. If it pays of, then great.
 
From a layman's perspective I'm guessing the roles are quite similar. The big difference being scrums and lineouts.

Hookers and flankers tend to carry into contact as regularly, both often find themselves carrying out wide.

Hooker generally joins the lineout maul last, on attacking maul. It's where Malcolm has scored so many tries.

Flankers tend to defend a lot more and cover more ground generally.

The front row cohesion is as important as the loose trio cohesion and it's here that a switch might not benefit.

Anyway, in Rassie we trust.

A number of coaches have adopted the 'its just a number on the back' philosophy. Meaning forwards are required to be interchangeable. Lock, 8th man, props the likely exceptions.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X