The Shroom Thread

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
Yeah I think I know what you mean. Brown rice flour and vermiculite is the standard, should work pretty well.

Then you'll have a layer of verm at the bottom with the cakes on top? Should be fine. Don't overdo it with misting them.

Oh one step that I missed the first time I did that is that apparently you need to dunk your cakes in water for a few hours after they have colonised. So, you inoculate them, wait for them to colonise, and then remove them from the jars. You then soak the cakes in water for a few hours before carrying on. The reason this matters is that the mushrooms are mostly water. Each time you get a flush, the cake loses a lot of water and you need to replenish it between flushes. But, keeping them too wet all the time tends to raise the risk of contamination by bacteria.

Good luck! Its an exciting hobby. I don't know why, but I just love the sight of growing shrooms. I think I'd even consider growing non magic shrooms, its just awesome.

saor

Honorary Master
Oh one step that I missed the first time I did that is that apparently you need to dunk your cakes in water for a few hours after they have colonised.
My understanding was to fruit first without water dunking (possibly to avoid contamination from the water?). Then once the cake has finished fruiting you dunk in water and roll the cake in some vermiculite (to introduce some darkness?) and wait for a second flush & even third flush.

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
My understanding was to fruit first without water dunking (possibly to avoid contamination from the water?). Then once the cake has finished fruiting you dunk in water and roll the cake in some vermiculite (to introduce some darkness?) and wait for a second flush & even third flush.
You dunk and roll first. You roll it so that the vermiculite sticks, which acts as a casing layer. Casing is beneficial because it raises the humidity.

You don't necessarily have to dunk it before fruiting - it should fruit as is, you just might get a smaller flush because it might lack water.

Also bear in mind that what the mushroom community says is not necessarily right - it is just what people have figured out what works.

krieg

Yeah I think I know what you mean. Brown rice flour and vermiculite is the standard, should work pretty well.

Then you'll have a layer of verm at the bottom with the cakes on top? Should be fine. Don't overdo it with misting them.

Oh one step that I missed the first time I did that is that apparently you need to dunk your cakes in water for a few hours after they have colonised. So, you inoculate them, wait for them to colonise, and then remove them from the jars. You then soak the cakes in water for a few hours before carrying on. The reason this matters is that the mushrooms are mostly water. Each time you get a flush, the cake loses a lot of water and you need to replenish it between flushes. But, keeping them too wet all the time tends to raise the risk of contamination by bacteria.

Good luck! Its an exciting hobby. I don't know why, but I just love the sight of growing shrooms. I think I'd even consider growing non magic shrooms, its just awesome.
For the medicinal I want to try Lion's Mane next.

saor

Honorary Master
Also bear in mind that what the mushroom community says is not necessarily right - it is just what people have figured out what works.
Ja was speaking from having done pf tek a few times. Never noticed a difference from dunk & roll before first grow, but the second flush seemed to benefit. Have seen how cakes can go bad so kinda makes sense (for me) not to risk contaminating the cake by introducing it to water (especially after all the clean precautions leading to this point). Rather fruit then mess with it for the second flush.

krieg

Also received some other goodies today Sceletium Tortuosum and Silene Capensis (African Dream Root). There is also a guy in Durban that sells Salvia Divinorum but not sure if that will grow in the Cape without a greenhouse.

saor

Honorary Master
Ugh.
You making me lus.
Keen to try a monotob or something else other than pf tek.
@Ancalagon You done any shrooms grows other than pf tek?

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
Ja was speaking from having done pf tek a few times. Never noticed a difference from dunk & roll before first grow, but the second flush seemed to benefit. Have seen how cakes can go bad so kinda makes sense (for me) not to risk contaminating the cake by introducing it to water (especially after all the clean precautions leading to this point). Rather fruit then mess with it for the second flush.
Fair enough, do what works for you. Cakes are normally a little more resistant to contamination by that point, but yeah, sometimes they go bad.

I've actually never used original pf tek. I went straight into using rye grain. I had two rye cakes that fruited pretty well, and from there onwards I used rye cakes as grain spawn for mini monotubs. I'm still learning though. I've got some jars going at the moment, so over the holidays I'll get my mini monotubs going again. Should have mushrooms in the new year.

With a mini monotub, you can see signs of mould on the surface, but unless its trich, nothing happens. The mycelium sorts it out. I don't worry about it. Only something like trich is serious enough to contaminate an entire monotub.

I've now got a timer so I can run my USB powered fan for 15 minutes every hour or two. Should reduce the chances of mould growing even further.

giveITback

SupplierSingle DoseQuantityTotal CostCost per Gram
Green Guys0.03525R800.00R914.29
Serenity0.110R300.00R300.00
Bobby Greenhash0.0560R402.50R134.17
420M0.230R800.00R133.33

After some research this is what I've found. Because of the different prices, dosages and quantities I felt the need for a table and thought I'll share. All of them cubensis mostly Golden Teacher except for Green Guys which are Mexican something. 420M has a promo code when they open on Monday. If there are any other suppliers let me know. Otherwise seems like 420M all the way for me

giveITback

420M haven't sold shrooms for a while now afaik. And you left out King Kushie.
Ok thanks. Only whole plants on the KK website. No microdose caps. And theres no stock with BG! TBH I feel Serenity dosage of 0.1 is a little on the high side. Which leaves only the Green Guys which is overpriced in my opinion. I should probably buy a scale and empty caps but I just wanted an easier option for a first timer. Anybody else come to mind?

Mycelium

Note to self: Attempting to bring about a blissful slumber to end what was a delightful trip, by way of our friends alprazolam and zolpidem - It turns the real world into a weird surrealist artwork, with which you can interact. Gods!

raiNzaf

Just some feedback on suppliers:

TGG were great at first but the second experience was absolutely horrible. For some reason most of these guys have really bad communication skills.

Same can be said for DGF.

KK delivered as promised (and provided a tracking number for the courier) and seem a lot more organised than the other guys.

Serenity does not seem to have an awful lot of stock, but they do respond via email professionally.

I have yet to try out BGHF but have heard good things about them.

There's also Golden Lion but have never heard of them before.