The smartphone in 2011

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
might time for me to get a new phone sometime this year...

CrazYmonkeY159

Expert Member
I agree with this article except for:

Obviously the signal problem will be a top priority as will a faster processor and more memory
only < 1% of complaints towards apple for the iPhone 4 were regarding antenna issues. "antennagate" is just a lie imo. this coming from an android fan.

Some Comments:

Sony Ericsson - please update your devices to froyo for your customers

HP-Palm - make an iPhone-like candy bar phone and a qwerty slider like the Dell Venue Pro with WebOS please. The Pre 2 looks like a child's toy

DominionZA

Executive Member
For me it is Android. Running Gingerbread on my HTC HD2 - NAND version. Love it. WinMo is history IMO.
Wife and both daughters using BlackBerry. Just not for me anymore (Was BB fan once upon a time).

elvis_presley

Expert Member
HTC goes way back and although HTC has shipped some of the best Android-based phones, the company is now readying a range of Windows Phone 7 devices. The first of which is the HD7, a 1GHz slimline phone that looks every bit the iPhone challenger
Readying? They've been shipping for a while, and the first to reach us is the HTC Trophy, which has been shipping for a month.

Samsung - they will probably be the biggest smartphone seller by the end of the year; and even if they aren't, they still make the money - they make significant portions of the innards of every other phone and tablet out there - from screens to processors to GPS chips, etc. They're investing $5bil in AMOLED and ARM-CPU manufacturing facilities that should come online this year. They will basically own the mobile space, either directly through their phones, or by the parts everyone else builds from. What I like about Samsung is that they don't do it via any dodgy Apple-like tactics, they make awesome components, drive prices down and everyone buys them based on that.

Valis

Expert Member
Readying? They've been shipping for a while, and the first to reach us is the HTC Trophy, which has been shipping for a month.

Samsung - they will probably be the biggest smartphone seller by the end of the year; and even if they aren't, they still make the money - they make significant portions of the innards of every other phone and tablet out there - from screens to processors to GPS chips, etc. They're investing $5bil in AMOLED and ARM-CPU manufacturing facilities that should come online this year. They will basically own the mobile space, either directly through their phones, or by the parts everyone else builds from. What I like about Samsung is that they don't do it via any dodgy Apple-like tactics, they make awesome components, drive prices down and everyone buys them based on that.
Hear, hear!

naids

you are forgetting another player...

Even though the brand may not be strong, LG is launching a mobile attack on the smartphone world with much anticipated dual core 'b' phone. The trend now is akin to the early pc day wars when it was a combination of software and hardware which ultimately led to the mainstream success of Microsoft. We may soon be in a situation where people are placing their looking glasses over things like snapdragon and hummingbird instead of Samsung HTC and lg with regard to the eventual OS market leader - Android. Let's face it, the OS's of apple bb and symbian are more or less device specific so they face a tougher task for OS dominance.

TJ99

Honorary Master
Huh? Smartphones went mainstream in 2010? Just.. no. Smartphones are still far from mainstream if you look at the sales figures.

elvis_presley

Expert Member
Huh? Smartphones went mainstream in 2010? Just.. no. Smartphones are still far from mainstream if you look at the sales figures.
Oh, they're VERY mainstream... they went from 25% to 35% the total cellphone marketshare in 2010 in US (far east is probably more), and are expected to account for >50% of cellphone sales by the end of 2011.

shanil1234

Awesomeness Lol ;)
I shall anounce the sale of my iPhone 4 once Apple has confirmed launch dates for iPhone 5 :)

TJ99

Honorary Master
Oh, they're VERY mainstream... they went from 25% to 35% the total cellphone marketshare in 2010 in US (far east is probably more), and are expected to account for >50% of cellphone sales by the end of 2011.
Well if your numbers are correct, dumbphones are still 65% of the market, the most used ones, A.K.A the mainstream.

And how about this in the article:

The first and best of these looks to be the HTC HD7 which looks every bit the iPhone challenger.
Freakin journalists always say that for some incomprehensible reason, iPhone challenger, iPhone killer etc... like it's something so awesome and completely unlike any other piece of electronics and everyone is trying to beat them. No wonder their customers have such snooty attitudes. Guess it's all the Wifi's and the bigger GB's confusing them :D

elvis_presley

Expert Member
Well if your numbers are correct, dumbphones are still 65% of the market, the most used ones, A.K.A the mainstream.
I dont think mainstream in this context means the most popular by market share, it just means one of the popular ones that the general public have embraced. Both iOS and Android are mainstream smartphones, Android isn't NOT mainstream just because iOS happens to have a larger install-base right now. There are something like a million+ smartphones a day being sold. It's not a nerdy little niche market anymore, like it was 5 years ago.

Freakin journalists always say that for some incomprehensible reason, iPhone challenger, iPhone killer etc...
Yeah it's very annoying. Today's media is so black-and-white and polarised. There can only be one good thing, everything else is crap. It's easy to write articles like that. Just laziness.

TJ99

Honorary Master
There are something like a million+ smartphones a day being sold. It's not a nerdy little niche market anymore, like it was 5 years ago.
OK I get what you're saying, I'd agree with the 5 or so years, seems more realistic than the title, which implies it happened all of a sudden in one year.

elvis_presley

Expert Member
My iPhone killer is somewhere waiting for me to upgrade within a month :)
I got my iPhone killer last month... WP7 based HTC Trophy. After using it, my 3GS and its iOS UI seems quaint and dated. I guess the iOS UI is getting pretty long in the tooth. You can't be cutting edge for 3+ years, after a while you're "that old UI".

TJ99

Honorary Master
I've used iphone killers since 2005, first one wasnt a smartphone, yet it could do more.

McT

The Humble Scot!
I'll be watching Android in 2011... but will keep an eye on Samsung. I love my Galaxy S. It is impressive and love the Android apps I can access. Can Samsung improve on it?