The Sushi lovers thread

superskully

Expert Member
Try the Rainbow reloaded at Spar in All Saint Centre in Olivedale.
The guy that makes it sells it for about R82 for 10 pieces.
Its a Salmon rainbow roll with prawns as the rainbow.
It has Teriyaki sauce, with spring onion, mayo and red caviar.

Bokkie_

Expert Member
Best sushi in Centurion / Midrand area is the Fish Mongers on John Voster drive.... mmmm... thinking of going tonight :)

Sharon39

I do, best thing I ever did for myself and my family was learn to make my own Sushi. Saving a bomb on buying it nowadays and according to my family and friends I make better sushi than Most restaurants. Plus I get to test out all sorts of fillings that you won't normally find on menus. I have made chicken and mango, bacon and cream cheese, spare rib and onions, stuffed jalepeno and a various other experiments. For our Family New Years party I played around with making deep fried Tempura sushi. It was a huge success. Well worth learning to do it myself, hard work but lots of fun. The only thing I can't get a grip on is cutting fish perfectly for Sashimi. It takes years of training and special knives but I've had no complaints yet

Last edited:

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
I do, best thing I ever did for myself and my family was learn to make my own Sushi. Saving a bomb on buying it nowadays and according to my family and friends I make better sushi than Most restaurants. Plus I get to test out all sorts of fillings that you won't normally find on menus. I have made chicken and mango, bacon and cream cheese, spare rib and onions, stuffed jalepeno and a various other experiments. For our Family New Years party I played around with making deep fried Tempura sushi. It was a huge success. Well worth learning to do it myself, hard work but lots of fun. The only thing I can't get a grip on is cutting fish perfectly for Sashimi. It takes years of training and special knives but I've had no complaints yet
Mr Jiro may finally die of a shock and trauma induced heart attack..................

Athos

Sushi is life.

I go to a place called CnC Sushi, in a centre called Sunninghill Village in Sunninghill (surprise, surprise) JHB.

R 149 all you can eat, including a portion of Sashimi. Literally includes the entire menu (yes even salmon roses) as well as a few other arb things off the menu like soup etc.

I have never had a bad experience there. Always fresh and delicious.

The worst is when you go to a sushi place and the "all you can eat" is limited to all the average stuff on the menu. Then you still gotta pay for the good stuff.

Last edited:

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
You need help.

One day I'll take you to a real sushi restaurant so that you can know the difference and never go back to that Asia Asia place again.

At the very least if you are going to go cheap then venture up the road to Yummy Zone instead.

Thor

Honorary Master
You need help.

One day I'll take you to a real sushi restaurant so that you can know the difference and never go back to that Asia Asia place again.

At the very least if you are going to go cheap then venture up the road to Yummy Zone instead.
Yummy zone is **** k@k horrid service, warm sushi, untidy space I've posted all about it on trip advisor numerous times with picture evidence it's just plain k@k.

The nicest sushi I have had recently was at Asami's in tygervalley that was genuinely nice and I won't mind going back there again.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Yummy zone is **** k@k horrid service, warm sushi, untidy space I've posted all about it on trip advisor numerous times with picture evidence it's just plain k@k.

The nicest sushi I have had recently was at Asami's in tygervalley that was genuinely nice and I won't mind going back there again.
Haven't been to Asami's on Tygervalley but I was at the (original?) one in Somerset West and it wasn't too bad.

It's still very much on the cheap and nasty side of things though.

A bloody shame Takumi has closed down.

Thor

Honorary Master
Haven't been to Asami's on Tygervalley but I was at the (original?) one in Somerset West and it wasn't too bad.

It's still very much on the cheap and nasty side of things though.

A bloody shame Takumi has closed down.
What's your definition of cheap thou? At 159 per pop this doesn't feel all that cheap to me granted I'm a frugal thing so everything feels expensive to me.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Cheap as in quantity over quality.

What do you get for that R159? Probably like 30 pieces. That is cheap.