Things that irritate you.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are the roads in a complex considered public roads?

No, the roads are private and the complex is responsible for the upkeep of the roads. This is why complexes can also restrict access (to a certain point) as you have to agree to the conditions before buying/renting into a complex.
 
Last edited:
I find that Michael Rodent works quite well.

I live in a boomed suburb. The guards note the date time and registrations, but are not allowed to question or impede people as it is ILLEGAL to do so on a public road.


As per the above post.
 
Last edited:
Glad you asked, its part of the Gauteng Rationalisation of Local Government Affairs Act. Here a summary

  • Guards may only monitor and observe activity.
  • Guards may not search any vehicle or person.
  • No person or guard is permitted to deny any person or any vehicle access to or through any roads.
  • No person or guard is entitled to request or demand proof of identification or ask anyone to sign any register as a condition of access.
  • All pedestrian gates should be left accessible and not locked in any way 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
  • No motorised gates are allowed.
  • Guards must lift booms as soon as they see a vehicle approaching.

Yes, my entitlement complex to have access to public roads as defined in the various acts and legislation. But I must rather keep quiet and allow the person to do what he wants because "its his job and he is following instruction".

Point taken.

However, you cannot get annoyed with the guard. He is doing what he was told to do - if he doesn't he gets in trouble or looses his job.

A security guard is not going to be the most educated of people and I'm willing to bet he isn't going to be privy to the nuances municipal laws regarding the legality of booming off suburbs.

Should his employer try and educate him on such things? Probably, but at the end of the day if you take exception to what the guard is doing don't take it out on him - get hold of his employer.
 
Point taken.

However, you cannot get annoyed with the guard. He is doing what he was told to do - if he doesn't he gets in trouble or looses his job.

A security guard is not going to be the most educated of people and I'm willing to bet he isn't going to be privy to the nuances municipal laws regarding the legality of booming off suburbs.

Should his employer try and educate him on such things? Probably, but at the end of the day if you take exception to what the guard is doing don't take it out on him - get hold of his employer.

Yes, you are correct, I could of handled it better.
 
Point taken.

However, you cannot get annoyed with the guard. He is doing what he was told to do - if he doesn't he gets in trouble or looses his job.

A security guard is not going to be the most educated of people and I'm willing to bet he isn't going to be privy to the nuances municipal laws regarding the legality of booming off suburbs.

Should his employer try and educate him on such things? Probably, but at the end of the day if you take exception to what the guard is doing don't take it out on him - get hold of his employer.

Isn't that what "phone your Supervisor" means?
 
Glad you asked, its part of the Gauteng Rationalisation of Local Government Affairs Act. Here a summary

  • Guards may only monitor and observe activity.
  • Guards may not search any vehicle or person.
  • No person or guard is permitted to deny any person or any vehicle access to or through any roads.
  • No person or guard is entitled to request or demand proof of identification or ask anyone to sign any register as a condition of access.
  • All pedestrian gates should be left accessible and not locked in any way 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
  • No motorised gates are allowed.
  • Guards must lift booms as soon as they see a vehicle approaching.

Yes, my entitlement complex to have access to public roads as defined in the various acts and legislation. But I must rather keep quiet and allow the person to do what he wants because "its his job and he is following instruction".

And you decided to challenge the guard with this? :erm:
 
Glad you asked, its part of the Gauteng Rationalisation of Local Government Affairs Act. Here a summary

  • Guards may only monitor and observe activity.
  • Guards may not search any vehicle or person.
  • No person or guard is permitted to deny any person or any vehicle access to or through any roads.
  • No person or guard is entitled to request or demand proof of identification or ask anyone to sign any register as a condition of access.
  • All pedestrian gates should be left accessible and not locked in any way 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
  • No motorised gates are allowed.
  • Guards must lift booms as soon as they see a vehicle approaching.

Yes, my entitlement complex to have access to public roads as defined in the various acts and legislation. But I must rather keep quiet and allow the person to do what he wants because "its his job and he is following instruction".

And you decided to challenge the guard with this? :erm:

Not at all. I just told him that I don't need to fill in his register, and he is not allowed to stop me from entering the neighbourhood. That's when he mentioned "the rules".
 
Not at all. I just told him that I don't need to fill in his register, and he is not allowed to stop me from entering the neighbourhood. That's when he mentioned "the rules".

In other words being a self-righteous prick. You expect him to disobey his orders because you are telling him you don't need to fill in the register.
 
In other words being a self-righteous prick. You expect him to disobey his orders because you are telling him you don't need to fill in the register.

Ag dude, whatever.

You're obviously one of the members on here that won't stop until somebody concedes to you so that you get your ego boost for the day.
 
Not at all. I just told him that I don't need to fill in his register, and he is not allowed to stop me from entering the neighbourhood. That's when he mentioned "the rules".
Can't you report them for having an illegal boom gate then? I remember quite a while back many of these popped up and many were subsequently removed because they were illegal.
 
Ag dude, whatever.

You're obviously one of the members on here that won't stop until somebody concedes to you so that you get your ego boost for the day.

Yah, I want an e-Boost. :rolleyes: You're just one that won't admit to being a dick.
 
Can't you report them for having an illegal boom gate then? I remember quite a while back many of these pooped up and many were subsequently removed because they were illegal.

I believe the boom gate is legal, its how they operate it that's not. But I guess its one of the same in the end.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X