South Africa’s biggest forum. Discuss, discover, and connect with thousands of members.
Still have mine buried in the back of cupboard somewhere.My dad just gave me his SADF surname patch
This is mine from my army days in the 80s.My dad just gave me his SADF surname patch
Yeah my dad's one looks the same. Did your gold also come off?This is mine from my army days in the 80s.
The sew-on patches only came after I finished my 2 years national service.Yeah my dad's one looks the same. Did your gold also come off?
The one I am referring to was the one you guys had to sew on yourselfs.
Sew his(mine) on velcro and placed it on my body vest.

My dads gold came off his. So now his jacket looks like the middle one.The sew-on patches only came after I finished my 2 years national service.
No, the gold did not come off. I was awarded a silver badge. There were three different badges awarded. Marksmanship badges were categorized into classes, such as 1st Class Gold, 2nd Class Silver, and 3rd Class Bronze (often associated with basic qualified marksman or 3rd class/bronze shot levels). If you were not awarded a badge, you were considered to be an ordinary rifleman.
View attachment 1943896
You sure he wasn't awarded the gold badge? I had a look at mine, and I did not get the feeling that it was plated, but solid metal.My dads gold came off his. So now his jacket looks like the middle one.