Thoughts?

garp

Executive Member
There are DevOps guys out there with that kind of skill set (I'd like to think I'm one of them, LOL) - but I guarantee you that if you want anyone with more than "a knowledge of" a significant number of those items, and that can actually competently work in those areas, you're going to be paying a heck of lot more than that.

eg2505

Honorary Master
more and more people are emigrating, skills are harder and harder to find in SA,
so eventually you'll have to settle with a more junior person who will grow into the role.

GhostSixFour

Mafia Addict
more and more people are emigrating, skills are harder and harder to find in SA,
so eventually you'll have to settle with a more junior person who will grow into the role.

Problem is, growing into a role without guidance leads to growing the tech stack into a pool of chaos.

eg2505

Honorary Master
Problem is, growing into a role without guidance leads to growing the tech stack into a pool of chaos.
what comes to mind is an old proverb,

I'm not Rich enough for Cheap things.

IE you pay Peanuts, you get Monkeys, who will **** up everything and build it up again like trainees.

pay the Market related salary (use mybb), dont be cheap, get the right person from day one and work from there.
but these days Ive found, people just want IT to work,
without understanding or indeed appreciating the work it takes to get something working properly, the first time round.

IT is the heart of the Business, literally everything is dependent on it, (unless your a plumber)
almost like the foundation, nothing else works if the foundation isn't right.

yes, I've heard this Term many times, IT is the Spending department,
but then again, I go back to my proverb, are you rich enough for Cheap things?

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
Just get a consultant in to train your noobs up.
You might get two extra people in that can do some of that stuff better than the guys you currently have.

Mrlepen

Hi All,

Hoping to get some advise (and not be burned alive by all the flaming :D).

Company I work for is looking to advertise the following job opportunity:

Requirements:

• UTM/Firewall configuration, maintenance and monitoring.
  • Knowledge and understanding of layer 3 switching and routing (VLANs).
  • Knowledge of VPN protocols including Ipsec and openVPN. Implementation, configuration and maintenance of point-to-site and site-to-site VPNs.
  • Understanding of DDNS, NAT and port forwarding to accommodate on-site hosted applications.
  • Knowledge of SIP and VOIP protocols, management of on-site PABX server (Asterisk Based).
  • Maintenance of VOIP hardware (mostly Yealink), incl updates, firmware and VPN configurations.
  • Maintenance, monitoring and expansion of core network with +- 400 devices.
  • Maintenance, monitoring and expansion of Unifi wireless implementation with 40+ Access points and +- 600 clients on different subnets Vlans.
  • Maintenance, monitoring and expansion of CCTV network with 320 cameras and devices including DVR’s, switches, custom built storage servers, remote connections and offsite monitoring implementations for various properties.
  • Maintenance of warehouse hardware devices and scanners (software / firmware updates, etc).
  • Microsoft HyperV virtual infrastructure setup and administration including replication, backups and disaster recovery.
  • Microsoft Windows Server setup, implementation & maintenance.
  • Linux server setup, implementation & maintenance (Mostly Debian, Ubuntu and CentOS).
  • Implementation and maintenance of Linux virtual private servers hosted on DigitalOcean, Vultr and on-site.
  • Maintenance and monitoring of Windows Domain Controllers with knowledge of Windows Active Directory, DNS, DHCP.
  • Google Apps for business maintenance and administration.
  • FreeBSD, Linux and Windows Server storage solutions (nfs, zfs, cifs, smb).
  • Client workstation setups including hardware/software troubleshooting, repair, upgrade, backup and remote desktop assistance.
  • Server setups including hardware/software troubleshooting, repair, upgrade, backup - mostly Supermicro and Dell.
  • Website hosting implementations of static and Wordpress websites.
  • Knowledge of Docker, Docker Compose and DevOps.
  • Veeam Backup & Replication for both clients and servers.
  • Arcserve Backup monitoring.
  • Basic Microsoft SQL / MySQL management and querying.
  • Knowledge of Sage 300 ERP advantageous.
  • Good Microsoft Excel skills.
  • Dealing with escalated support calls from office and remote staff as well as some clients.
  • Responsible for overseeing IT costs & expenditure.
  • Responsible for managing and training junior networking and IT support staff.
  • Writing and updating of technical documentation as required.
  • Good communication skills essential.

My questions are:
1) What would you even list this as (General IT manager ?) - seems this is broader than even that.
2) What would a reasonable salary offer be ?

Edit:

Seems they are looking to offer R24 -R28k CTC. Anybody in a similar role that could provide some insight?
4 people's Jobs

Deanos

Hi All,

Hoping to get some advise (and not be burned alive by all the flaming :D).

Company I work for is looking to advertise the following job opportunity:

Requirements:

• UTM/Firewall configuration, maintenance and monitoring.
  • Knowledge and understanding of layer 3 switching and routing (VLANs).
  • Knowledge of VPN protocols including Ipsec and openVPN. Implementation, configuration and maintenance of point-to-site and site-to-site VPNs.
  • Understanding of DDNS, NAT and port forwarding to accommodate on-site hosted applications.
  • Knowledge of SIP and VOIP protocols, management of on-site PABX server (Asterisk Based).
  • Maintenance of VOIP hardware (mostly Yealink), incl updates, firmware and VPN configurations.
  • Maintenance, monitoring and expansion of core network with +- 400 devices.
  • Maintenance, monitoring and expansion of Unifi wireless implementation with 40+ Access points and +- 600 clients on different subnets Vlans.
  • Maintenance, monitoring and expansion of CCTV network with 320 cameras and devices including DVR’s, switches, custom built storage servers, remote connections and offsite monitoring implementations for various properties.
  • Maintenance of warehouse hardware devices and scanners (software / firmware updates, etc).
  • Microsoft HyperV virtual infrastructure setup and administration including replication, backups and disaster recovery.
  • Microsoft Windows Server setup, implementation & maintenance.
  • Linux server setup, implementation & maintenance (Mostly Debian, Ubuntu and CentOS).
  • Implementation and maintenance of Linux virtual private servers hosted on DigitalOcean, Vultr and on-site.
  • Maintenance and monitoring of Windows Domain Controllers with knowledge of Windows Active Directory, DNS, DHCP.
  • Google Apps for business maintenance and administration.
  • FreeBSD, Linux and Windows Server storage solutions (nfs, zfs, cifs, smb).
  • Client workstation setups including hardware/software troubleshooting, repair, upgrade, backup and remote desktop assistance.
  • Server setups including hardware/software troubleshooting, repair, upgrade, backup - mostly Supermicro and Dell.
  • Website hosting implementations of static and Wordpress websites.
  • Knowledge of Docker, Docker Compose and DevOps.
  • Veeam Backup & Replication for both clients and servers.
  • Arcserve Backup monitoring.
  • Basic Microsoft SQL / MySQL management and querying.
  • Knowledge of Sage 300 ERP advantageous.
  • Good Microsoft Excel skills.
  • Dealing with escalated support calls from office and remote staff as well as some clients.
  • Responsible for overseeing IT costs & expenditure.
  • Responsible for managing and training junior networking and IT support staff.
  • Writing and updating of technical documentation as required.
  • Good communication skills essential.

My questions are:
1) What would you even list this as (General IT manager ?) - seems this is broader than even that.
2) What would a reasonable salary offer be ?

Edit:

Seems they are looking to offer R24 -R28k CTC. Anybody in a similar role that could provide some insight?

So was this position ever filled yet or they still looking?

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
If the guy can do all that competently he's worth over a bar a year easy. Closer to two.

There is management, architecture, support, sysadmin, Dba and dev there.
Or at least 4 people on 500k a year.

Yeah I would tend to concur with this after reading that spec again a few times.

At 26k CTC they are way way short of the mark for what that sort of person would be expecting to be paid (and it wouldn't be an unrealistic expectation)

Deanos

I'm sucker for hard work and low pay....

I dropped you my details...
Let's chat.

Deanos

My thoughts, companies are struggling at the moment.
I have been at my current place for just over 4 years now.
Never had an increase, never received a bonus. I do the work of 4 IT guys and somehow manage to get through every day.
When lockdown hit, I had 1 day to then "convert" the whole company to work from home and that was possibly the toughest week because that was also when the undersea cables were all broken and nothing worked!
It was great fun!

IT is and always has been a fascinating job with new challenges everyday.
And I think that when a new opportunity arises, regardless of who, what, where and when, you grab it by the horns and make the most of it!

Everybody wants the most money out of everything, Ooooh I'll do it for 12 million bucks... bla bla bla!

It's a job guys, you either enjoy what you do, even if you struggle every month, but just do it and get the job done!

2020 has been a challenging and VERY tough year, especially for IT and I really can't see much changing next year either....
Running a whole production house remotely is difficult, but you learn on the fly and that is it!

Just do it and stop with the comparing.
Get the job, prove your worth and value and life will be good!

This is the way!

Sinbad

Honorary Master
My thoughts, companies are struggling at the moment.
I have been at my current place for just over 4 years now.
Never had an increase, never received a bonus. I do the work of 4 IT guys and somehow manage to get through every day.
When lockdown hit, I had 1 day to then "convert" the whole company to work from home and that was possibly the toughest week because that was also when the undersea cables were all broken and nothing worked!
It was great fun!

IT is and always has been a fascinating job with new challenges everyday.
And I think that when a new opportunity arises, regardless of who, what, where and when, you grab it by the horns and make the most of it!

Everybody wants the most money out of everything, Ooooh I'll do it for 12 million bucks... bla bla bla!

It's a job guys, you either enjoy what you do, even if you struggle every month, but just do it and get the job done!

2020 has been a challenging and VERY tough year, especially for IT and I really can't see much changing next year either....
Running a whole production house remotely is difficult, but you learn on the fly and that is it!

Just do it and stop with the comparing.
Get the job, prove your worth and value and life will be good!

This is the way!
This is the way of the wage slave.