Thoughts?

Markd

Expert Member
So long as it pays the bills and buys beer, I'm happy!

Ja it'll pay the bills if you still live with your parents, go to work on a bicycle, and never get married and have kids. If you've been in your current role for 4+ years and never received an increase or a bonus, then what exactly is wrong? You either don't have the credentials to move on to a better job or you're already getting paid a tremendous amount of cash. Which is it?

Deanos

DAMN! How much do you pay for bills every month???????
If 30k doesn't cover 4 people in a house, then you spend far too much...

I'm married, with 2 kids, both out of school now.
I work from home currently and ride a motorbike (close! :))
And for the last part, I enjoy my job and is covers my expenses.
We all wish we had a whole lot of cash on hand, but yea, that's reserved for all them EE/AA jobs only!

So we do what we do and take what we get!

C'est la vie...

Sinbad

Honorary Master
We all wish we had a whole lot of cash on hand, but yea, that's reserved for all them EE/AA jobs only!

C'est la vie...

No, it's not reserved for ee/aa jobs. It's reserved for competent people with skills in current demand and a good track record and a dissatisfaction with the status quo

Deanos

Oh well, then I must be one of the useless people then.

Sorry. 30 years in IT.... Who would have guessed.

retromodcoza

This is a job market where the power balance lies with IT people. Not companies.
There are more jobs than candidates. Unemployment amongst developers is 2% , even after covid. Most of this is cyclical. 1/5 dev jobs (and to a lesser extent IT jobs) go unfilled due to a lack of suitable candidates.

Methinks you're getting screwed. Your company has convinced you that you are less valuable than you are , and that you don't have options , in order to keep you in your position doing what they need you to do.

I would try applying for jobs , even as an exercise. See what crops up.

Deanos

And that's exactly the reason I sent this dude my details!

If you happy and you know it, follow the money!
Nothing really keeping me at my current job...

static_sa

Expert Member

Yikes.

30 years in IT and you're getting paid 30k

Either you've fallen out of the loop (Which I've seen time after time with older people), or you're being cucked by your employer.

Sodan

Expert Member
Yikes.

30 years in IT and you're getting paid 30k

Either you've fallen out of the loop (Which I've seen time after time with older people), or you're being cucked by your employer.

This. This is.. just wow. I don't even know where to start.

And that's exactly the reason I sent this dude my details!

If you happy and you know it, follow the money!
Nothing really keeping me at my current job...

I'm pretty confident you're getting shafted at your current employer. You would not have lasted 4+ years at your current employer if you were incompetent, so without a shadow of a doubt, R30k is wayyyyy under the value you bring to the table. Put your CV out there, get in touch with @WhiteRaven (she's one of the few recruiters I respect), and see what turns up.

Good luck. I'm rooting for you.

Bobbin

Executive Member
DAMN! How much do you pay for bills every month???????
If 30k doesn't cover 4 people in a house, then you spend far too much...

I'm married, with 2 kids, both out of school now.
I work from home currently and ride a motorbike (close! :))
And for the last part, I enjoy my job and is covers my expenses.

C'est la vie...

This job posting is 24-28K CTC (Cost to Company). Which could mean you take home as little as 18-22k, depending on tax and deductions. Where did 30k come from, is that your take home income at the moment or is that your current CTC?

Deanos

Thanks mate, somebody with some positivity for a change.... :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::thumbsup:

I have dropped @WhiteRaven a message, so let's see what happens.

As I mentioned, I have possible just had the luck of the draw through my career, so not really sure why, but I am still alive and bills get paid.

I enjoy what I do, and never really worried about tons of money.
I get by in life.

Yes, haters going to hate, but that's life.
To answer the other questions, I live on the WestRand in Gauteng and work in Bryanston.

As for the above , most companies are negotiable, and will advertise a lower wage, but will offer more when they get to see you.

Messugga

Honorary Master
Thanks mate, somebody with some positivity for a change.... :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::thumbsup:

I have dropped @WhiteRaven a message, so let's see what happens.

As I mentioned, I have possible just had the luck of the draw through my career, so not really sure why, but I am still alive and bills get paid.

I enjoy what I do, and never really worried about tons of money.
I get by in life.

Yes, haters going to hate, but that's life.
To answer the other questions, I live on the WestRand in Gauteng and work in Bryanston.

As for the above , most companies are negotiable, and will advertise a lower wage, but will offer more when they get to see you.

Yeah luck has nothing to do with it. You've allowed yourself to get shafted. It's solely on you, buddy.

eg2505

Honorary Master
Yeah luck has nothing to do with it. You've allowed yourself to get shafted. It's solely on you, buddy.
dont always know the full story here,
maybe wanted to experience a new environment so took a pay cut temporarily.

Messugga

Honorary Master
dont always know the full story here,
maybe wanted to experience a new environment so took a pay cut temporarily.
Then he wouldn't have blamed EE/AA for him being paid peanuts in relation to his experience, now would he?

God, every time I read one of your poorly thought out posts I feel like I lose braincells.

Deanos

Yup. and I'm not blaming anybody else for it either.
I take what I get as it beats sitting on the street begging!

When you have spent 7 months looking for a job, you will understand.

I have a job right now, it pays the bills....
I am always open and looking for something and when the next one arrives with better money, I take it with open arms!

It is also EXTREMELY difficult to find a job when you are almost 50, with kids and a family....
Life was great in my 20's and 30's, but catches up very quickly!

So EE/AA is also a huge factor in this country, and if I could pack up and leave today, I would!
I have had 3 opportunities to work in the USA, but have too much holding be back here.
So when my kids have moved out, and I can get rid of my wife, I'm gone!

Life is awesome for me! Can't you tell...
And all you okes have to come tell me how kak it is.....
I bet all your lives are fantastic!

I think we now drop this as this whole thread has now been hijacked from what the OP said, only because I'm looking for a job.

Come on guys....
Think a little before you type and start telling people how kak they are because they have a job.

WhiteRaven

Recruitment Link
Company Rep
Both arguments are very valid, Deanos I get what you saying seen many guys your age range sitting in this type of situation who have hit hard times before and understand the value of money in the bank rather than nothing. This doesn't mean your skills are not more valuable, lets see what we can do for you :)