Thunderbird 5 leapfrogs 4, enters beta

Creag

The Boar's Rock
Long time since I used it. Will check it out, although I am quite happy with Outlook 2007.

K

kingrob

Long time since I used it. Will check it out, although I am quite happy with Outlook 2007.

Outlook 2010 is even better! ;)

Have tried Evolution and Thunderbird on Linux, but just didn't like it.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
I use Evolution on Linux. Thunderbird you cant do a back up and restore when you redo your OS....not as far as I could tell though. :-(

shiram

I use Evolution on Linux. Thunderbird you cant do a back up and restore when you redo your OS....not as far as I could tell though. :-(

Yes, you can: Just backup your profile folder to somewhere and point %AppData%\Thunderbird\profiles.ini to point to the restored profile folder after a re-install. I keep my profile folder in a Truecrypt archive, and share my Thunderbird mailbox between Windows Linux (dual boot, and VM).

IMHO Thunderbird is awesome and MS Outlook is bulky and slow (I use Outlook at work).

dabbler

Expert Member
I like keeping my work emails separate from my personal emails, so I use Outlook for work and Thunderbird for personal. Works for me. I use Kmail on Debian Squeeze (KDE).

Last edited:

Nuro

Expert Member
I use Thunderbird on Windows, Evolution 3 on Linux, and Mail.app on OSX. Pretty messed up :)

EDIT: I use imap for mail, so mail is easily synced across all clients....

Last edited:

Alchemist

Expert Member
I've just recently ditched Thunderbird and gone back to Outlook. There is very little support for Thunderbird from developers in terms of contact and calender synchronisation for various devices and applications.

SuperBru

Havent tried it yet but I use Windows Live Mail for my private email at home and it does the job and looks good too.

snobee

One annoying git uses Thunderbird out of 450 people where I work. He expects me to fix it when he has problems with it. I think he is starting to get the message....

murraybiscuit

Executive Member
I've just recently ditched Thunderbird and gone back to Outlook. There is very little support for Thunderbird from developers in terms of contact and calender synchronisation for various devices and applications.

i can't say that my needs are extremely advanced.
but so far i've been able to use lightning and gcontactsync to synchronise contacts, calendar and mail between tb and gmail/apps.
everything in imap, syncs fine for me...

milomak

Honorary Master
I briefly moved to Evolution. But because the Windows version is crap, moved back to TB as I can use the same folder for Windows and Linux and not have to reconfigure.

I am also able to sync my gmail contacts to TB and vice versa so both TB and my Nexus always have my contacts. I use Outlook at work and I can’t say that I feel I am missing anything using TB on my home computers.

Tacet

Expert Member
For Windows I use Outlook 2010 and Outlook 2007 (work and home, respectively). In Linux I use TB. Tried Evolution, but for some unfathomable reason I just can't seem to like it.

Tassidar

Expert Member
I use Thunderbird, quite simply because it's IMAP synching is WAY faster than Evolution or Outlook.

In fact I can't stand either Evolution or Outlook because of their slow IMAP.

Creag

The Boar's Rock
Outlook 2010 is even better! ;)

Have tried Evolution and Thunderbird on Linux, but just didn't like it.

2010 even better? Maybe time for me to upgrade at home then, 'cause they ain't upgrading in the office any time soon.

K

kingrob

2010 even better? Maybe time for me to upgrade at home then, 'cause they ain't upgrading in the office any time soon.

Yeah, I'm using it at home & office and very impressed with it.