TNT Courier Services Admin Fee for Customs Clearance

lorgat94

Hi

I recently ordered a cellphone from geekbuying.com which was successfully sent to the courier i selected, being TNT. I was charged an additional R200 for using this shipping instead of the China standard delivery.

It is the first time i ordered an item which I was charged customs duties on. I was aware that i may be charged duties when i completed the order form on Geekbuying. So i received an invoice from TNT, with the amount of duties I owe them as they had cleared my parcel. The customs duty and VAT on the item worked out to roundabout R140.

TNT however charged an admin fee of R430 for having cleared the item. I had no idea that this would be charged as nowhere was it mentioned when I placed the order that an additional admin fee would be charged on the item by TNT and I also feel that an admin fee of over 300% of the taxes paid is rather exorbitant.

Does anyone feel that i have a valid case to oppose the admin fee as when i entered into the sale contract i was unaware of such costs and nor was I informed by TNT prior to the costs being incurred?

Or is such fee regarded as tacit? and I should just pay it?

gopes

Checked my last few dhl invoices - R150
R430 is a ripoff

Vis1/0N

Expert Member
You are in a position where you are being ransomed and have to pay it unless you can somehow argue it. They are automatically providing the clearance when you could (theoretically) do it yourself or have your own clearing agents do it for you. There is no contract for the service between you and them - but they have your package and will hold it hostage and will threaten to dump it unless you pay them.

The only thing you can do is pay the fee and then name and shame. https://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/828701-Importing-with-TNT-Express-Avoid-at-all-cost

Actually DHL have a bad reputation for this as well, but TNT's fees are a much bigger rip off.

Sensorei

Executive Member
TNT has the highest clearance fee of all the bigger international courier companies and also the worst :mad: service. DHL's service is quicker and better than Aramex, Fedex, TNT but their shipping fees are usually highest. A lot of the time I pay it because it is worth it for my sanity. Usually I go with Aramex for smaller orders.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle

Shayd

Expert Member
You are in a position where you are being ransomed and have to pay it unless you can somehow argue it. They are automatically providing the clearance when you could (theoretically) do it yourself or have your own clearing agents do it for you. There is no contract for the service between you and them - but they have your package and will hold it hostage and will threaten to dump it unless you pay them.

The only thing you can do is pay the fee and then name and shame. https://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/828701-Importing-with-TNT-Express-Avoid-at-all-cost

Actually DHL have a bad reputation for this as well, but TNT's fees are a much bigger rip off.
Nothing on there speaking about DHL in South Africa. They charge some of the lowest clearing fees in the industry.

lorgat94

I've decided to pay the customs duty only. I will tell them that I will not pay the rest as I was not informed prior to incurring the costs and at no point did I agree that I will pay the admin fee. I have went through the order procedure on geekbuying again and there is clearly no mention of this fee.

Will keep you posted on what the outcome is.

lorgat94

Thanks for the advice. I have decided to oppose the fee as you will see in my other post. If this is to no avail, then will take the "name and shame" route.

lorgat94

TNT has the highest clearance fee of all the bigger international courier companies and also the worst :mad: service. DHL's service is quicker and better than Aramex, Fedex, TNT but their shipping fees are usually highest. A lot of the time I pay it because it is worth it for my sanity. Usually I go with Aramex for smaller orders.

Thanks for the input. Will check out Aramex. I've actually used China Registered Airmail a lot, and even though delayed at times, parcels always arrived and found it very cost effective. Decided to pay extra hoping for a quicker service, but to a complete disaster.

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
Yep tnt fees have always been the highest.

Through TNT is one of the few companies willing to courier goods with batteries in it with air freight. Seems quite a few courier does not want to take risk anymore.

lorgat94

I ended up paying the fee.

The other delivery options are much more expensive but I guess with the clearance admin fee of TNT they work out to about the same.

The best would be to confirm with the courier prior to delivery about additional costs

Mimen

How to buy safely from a reputable online store and what aabout courier

I dont want to start a new post but also dont want to hijack this one but here goes; I want to order a Huawei Mate 9, and is a bit afraid of buying online, from overseas.

1 What is a trustworthy online site I can use, I only know Amazon?
2 Which courier service do I use?
3 Would customs intercept it and charge me import tax?

Shayd

Expert Member
I dont want to start a new post but also dont want to hijack this one but here goes; I want to order a Huawei Mate 9, and is a bit afraid of buying online, from overseas.

1. Amazon is the only one I can vouch for now that Orange is kaput.
2. You don't get to choose with Amazon
3. The duties and VAT are calculated and billed by Amazon to you immediately. They ship to South Africa DDP.

akescpt

Honorary Master
Checked my last few dhl invoices - R150
R430 is a ripoff

been pissed off with dhl before. you buy overseas with free shipping. dhl international. then i still had to pay the local dhl.

PM sent!