• You are not registered on MyBroadband, which means you miss out on great benefits. To join our community is very easy, and completely free. Register now.
  • New Two-Day Giveaway - Enter Here

Too soon junior (Contains VTEC Yo)

asshat99

Bit sad that a 18 year old car (s2000 first produced in 1999) is still the car that modern affordable sports cars get compared to (and often not favourably). Seems the game never really moved on from 2 decades ago.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
That particular segment is more on the niche side but still highly important for brand recognition & aspiration.

But I get what you are saying.

asshat99

Imagine a modern golf being compared to a golf III gti (1999) and not really coming out on top... Even wanting to compare a new mx-5 or BRZ/GT-86 to a 18 year old car is a sad indictment on how little these cars have advanced compared to other segments.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Honda could launch successor to S2000 sports car

Honda boss Takahiro Hachigo has not ruled out the firm launching a successor to its S2000 sports cars.

“As of today, I cannot say clearly that S2000 will be reinvented as further studies are necessary,” Hachigo said at the Tokyo motor show.

Honda has launched three new performance cars in recent years, each a reinvention of a previous mode: the S660 kei car in Japan, the Civic Type R hot hatch and the NSX supercar. At this year’s Tokyo motor show, Honda has previewed a future electric sports car with the Sports EV concept.

Hachigo was surprisingly open in discussing whether or not a new S2000 would join that stable of performance models. He said the firm always wanted to “pose new models with the joy of driving”, and had a strong history of doing so. Autocar reported in 2015 that the company was developing a new S2000 as a Mazda MX-5 rival.

He said Honda’s priority was to create “evolutions of all three types of performance cars we have now for next generations”.

Beyond that, he appeared open to the idea of an S2000 making a comeback: “I’ve already heard many voices expressing they’d like a next-generation S2000. Honda development engineers are quick to develop sporty cars if the requests are there.

“All over the world – in Japan, North America, Europe, China – more and more voices are expressing the desire to reinvent S2000. However, it has not matured yet. It’s not time yet. We need time to decide if S2000 is reinvented or not.

“If the sales people investigate, look at it and they’re really enthusiastic, maybe we look at it.”

The S2000 roadster was produced by Honda from 1999 until 2009.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/...honda-could-launch-successor-s2000-sports-car

FiestaST

Honorary Master
What Do You Rate As The Greatest Engine Of All Time?

Graham Johnson: Honda F20C

When we last ran this same Greatest Engines of All Time feature in ETi, I declared the 2,0-litre from the Honda S2000 the greatest engine of all time. I highlighted its immensely fun ability to rev to a heady 9 000 r/min (a feat still not matched by today’s car engines and indeed unlikely to be bettered given the trend for lower-revving forced-induction powerplants). I called its mechanical variable valve timing application ‘genius’ (sadly, ever more sophisticated electronics put an end to the mechanical setups that you could actually feel jump onto a different cam. It was a sensational leap in performance the moment the jump happened). Furthermore, I believe it is a fact that Honda never had a warranty claim on a single VTEC unit, while the S2000’s heart remains the most powerful-per-litre naturally aspirated engine. At the time of that original story, I wrote that people will forever remember this engine as one of the all-time greats. Over a decade on, that statement still rings true. Indeed, I often consider buying an S2000 just so I can own a small piece of engineering wonder, but then the sports car that the 2,0-litre powered was, well, bloody awful!

http://www.carmag.co.za/news_post/what-do-you-rate-as-the-greatest-engine-of-all-time/

Engine.JPG

FiestaST

Honorary Master
The Fastest Honda S2000 In The World Did A 6.78s Quarter Mile

Although this is based on a Honda S2000, it is quite hard to call it one as it has been build specifically for drag racing and now packs 1,500 hp.

Amazingly, the builders were able to keep the original F22 engine, but added a turbocharger and many other upgrades to give it a crazy out of over 375 hp per cylinder.

This car was able to complete the quarter-mile in just 6.78 seconds at 203 mph (326 km/h).

How does someone make a four-cylinder car so fast. It is an incredible feat that must been seen to be believed.

http://www.zero2turbo.com/2017/11/fastest-honda-s2000-world-6-78s-quarter-mile.html

S2000.jpg

[video=youtube;KiLCy1xAjWA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiLCy1xAjWA[/video]

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Honda On A New S2000: 'Never Say Never' But It's Not Currently In The Works

When AutoGuide shared a story Monday with the headline that the Honda S2000 is “definitely never coming back, Honda exec says,” it seemed like a bold and foolish move by Honda to shut the door completely on one of its most iconic cars. But Honda isn’t, and those ideas appear to have come out of nowhere.

The current market seems right for an enthusiast-centric car revival like the S2000, at least in America. A new Toyota Supra, which may or may not be called the “Supra,” is expected this year, the 2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt came around at the Detroit Auto Show, and the U.S. finally got both the Honda Civic Type R and Ford Focus RS hot hatches.

But according to the AutoGuide story, Hayato Mori, senior manager of product planning for Honda Canada, told the website to forget it. AutoGuide reported that Mori said the S2000 was a car of the past, and that there will probably never be another version because of the current car (crossover) market in North America.

From the story, which didn’t quote Mori but summed up what he said as such:

People who buy crossovers are dominating the market, and small, convertible sports cars and roadsters are impossible for companies to make any money on because of their relative impracticality in the eyes of today’s buyer.

Mori reminded us that safety regulations make it very difficult for small sports cars to exist, and that’s probably another reason why we haven’t seen another generation of the Nissan 370Z yet — R&D simply costs too much money and the regulations for crash safety are too stringent. And that high cost is difficult to justify with such small sales numbers.

Jalopnik got into contact with a source at American Honda, who’s familiar with the company climate as well as current and future product plans but preferred not to be named. They told Jalopnik that because Honda Canada is such a small part of Honda overall, Mori doesn’t have much influence in the scope of future products for other areas like the U.S. market. While the above may be Mori’s opinion, the source said, he doesn’t speak for Honda’s U.S. division.

The source told Jalopnik that a lot of people at Honda push for a new S2000 and that it’s something the company continues to look at—just like the with Civic Type R, which finally materialized in the U.S. after a lot of calls for it to happen.

In response to that and whispers about a future S2000—very loosely rumored to come out this year as a celebration of Honda’s 70th anniversary, along with 320 horsepower and a twin-charged four-cylinder engine—a spokesperson from Honda’s North American division told Jalopnik to “never say never.”

“There are constantly, internally, proposals being made,” the spokesperson said. “That’s the source of all the rumors, because we’re a passionate company full of passionate people who are about cars, who are enthusiasts, and S2000 is an iconic and loved product and an important part of Honda’s legacy.

“As such, there are always proposals being made—maybe we could do this, or maybe we could do this. But as of now, there are no current plans for an actual introduction.”

While there aren’t any current plans, the spokesperson told Jalopnik “as long as there’s a Honda, there will be proposals being made.” If the proposals turn out anything like an American Civic Type R did, maybe we really will learn to never say never.

https://jalopnik.com/honda-on-a-new-s2000-never-say-never-but-its-not-curre-1822523326

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Honda S2000: Everything you need to know - Donut Media

[video=youtube_share;njEtOuOmAwA]https://youtu.be/njEtOuOmAwA[/video]

NWI

Should a low mileage S2000 come onto the market for sale - would there be any serious buyers?

NWI

I have a 2006 Deep Burgundy Metallic S2000, 73k on the clock. I have lovingly owned this car since almost new and enjoyed every minute driving it. The time however has unfortunately come for me to reluctantly sell - will be emigrating and as much as I tried to find a way to take it with me, it has just proved impractical.
My wife has always accused me of loving my S more than I do her and she may be right so I will be very selective when finding a new owner.
As I said serious buyers only please PM me as I will be looking for a die hard S fan who will pay what this car, which is in excellent condition, is worth. I am only leaving in Sept so sale would be around that time.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Supercharging My Honda S2000! - Engineering Explained

[video=youtube;6lss7Rh7EzQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lss7Rh7EzQ[/video]

TehStranger

Executive Member
what happened to the stranger
Teh*, am disappointed in your spelling son.

I moved to Europe a few months back, it cut into my online time somewhat. I can still smell S2000 posts from a mile away, even though my commute involves public transport, a bike and hopefully an electric skateboard soon.