TPLink Time Load Balancing Guide with B315 LTE Routers

Francoisdupie

Thanks for the snappy reply guys. Okay I've checked and changed the upper IP range limit, confirmed the time was set right (as I saw you mentioned it in your original instructions @Kosmik )

I must still confirm this but for now it looks like I found a solution, I'm busy playing with 2 minute intervals to test it but it seems to work:

Untitled.jpg

It seems like when the time is reached it cuts WAN1 and uses only WAN2. Will confirm in a day or two if this actually works

biometrics

Honorary Master
Thanks for the snappy reply guys. Okay I've checked and changed the upper IP range limit, confirmed the time was set right (as I saw you mentioned it in your original instructions @Kosmik )

I must still confirm this but for now it looks like I found a solution, I'm busy playing with 2 minute intervals to test it but it seems to work:

View attachment 651152

It seems like when the time is reached it cuts WAN1 and uses only WAN2. Will confirm in a day or two if this actually works
Thay may work. :) There are a few ways to achieve things with this router (latest anyway ;))

Speedster

Executive Member

jambai

Question . Having two lte routers next to each other won’t cause interference any issues ? Have the hauwei b in rain and want to get the web africa on Telkom as a backup for a office as no fibre yet .

AlastairS

Thanks for your efforts and the additional info provided by commenters. I have set mine up to have WAN1 as my uncapped fibre line and WAN2 as time based LTE from RAIN. It's working well so far. Just the initial setup was a bit of work to wrap my mind around the settings, but in the end it's simple once you have done it. There is a manual for the load distributing router but it doesn't really provide that much insight for newbies. Can get more from seeing what others have implemented for their particular needs.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Thanks for your efforts and the additional info provided by commenters. I have set mine up to have WAN1 as my uncapped fibre line and WAN2 as time based LTE from RAIN. It's working well so far. Just the initial setup was a bit of work to wrap my mind around the settings, but in the end it's simple once you have done it. There is a manual for the load distributing router but it doesn't really provide that much insight for newbies. Can get more from seeing what others have implemented for their particular needs.
I'm assuming your fibre is technically slower than the LTE? Or are you joining the two?

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Question . Having two lte routers next to each other won’t cause interference any issues ? Have the hauwei b in rain and want to get the web africa on Telkom as a backup for a office as no fibre yet .
Nope, nada, Mine are literally next to each other.

AlastairS

I'm assuming your fibre is technically slower than the LTE? Or are you joining the two?
My Fibre line isn't super speedy no (10/5), but its decent. The idea for me was to combine the speed of both using the load distributing router, and also have redundancy in the process so that if one is down I have the other.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
My Fibre line isn't super speedy no (10/5), but its decent. The idea for me was to combine the speed of both using the load distributing router, and also have redundancy in the process so that if one is down I have the other.
I've thought of doing similar but rather than combining, just getting a low speed fibre for the evening hours. My LTE on a b315 is averaging at 3.1MBPS - 3.5MBPS ( around 25-30Mbps). I got the webafrica LTE router as my telkom replacement which is a b525, so not sure if that will be faster. Bit lazy to go and reconfigure a new router again.

BradleyKZN

I might have missed something here, but what is happening with your wifi. Surely phones etc would say "not connected" if it was connected to the RAIN sim when the sim turned off at 6pm?
The router you are using doesnt have wifi does it?

Kosmik

Honorary Master
I might have missed something here, but what is happening with your wifi. Surely phones etc would say "not connected" if it was connected to the RAIN sim when the sim turned off at 6pm?
The router you are using doesnt have wifi does it?
Nope you are correct. If you look at my earlier posts I addressed this concern in two ways,

1. You can either have a hoppng software on your phone that jumps between the routers as they go down, or have your phones connect permanently to the device that is active all the time but having to ensure that you don't drain its cap.
2. Invest in a dedicated wifi ap and connect that to the balancer, allowing the balancer to be the DHCP broadcaster, issuing leases to devices across the network transparently as the default gateway. ( This is the way I've done mine )

Assasin_Zer0

Hi There guy's ,

I'm running pretty much the same setup as you guy's
1 X B618
1 X B315
1 X Tl-R480T+

I have an issue with the time not sticking cause my policy's to break ,
I have checked the sntp time a few times and tried setting to other ntp servers.
As soon as i reboot the LB time resets to 01\01\2018 00:00

Caliph

Check 'get automatically from internet' in time settings.

I'm using
ntp3.inx.net.za - primary ntp
ntp.is.co.za -secondary ntp

Keeps the time when reboots.

Dan C

Honorary Master
Hi There guy's ,

I'm running pretty much the same setup as you guy's
1 X B618
1 X B315
1 X Tl-R480T+

I have an issue with the time not sticking cause my policy's to break ,
I have checked the sntp time a few times and tried setting to other ntp servers.
As soon as i reboot the LB time resets to 01\01\2018 00:00
Too lazy to reboot mine now. Will check tomorrow and see if it does the same.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
I bounce mine every now and then for an issue i have with my extender reservation but never lost time.