Ubuntu Maverick Meerkat

rpm

Admin
Staff member
Maverick Ubuntu

The release of Ubuntu 10.10 is getting closer and details of what will be included are starting to become clear

Other Pineapple Smurf

Honorary Master

ic

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Have you looked at Puppet?
Nope, but I will try to set aside time for creating a puppetmaster - the only problem is that not all my Ubuntu machines are networked with each other.

Avenue

Expert Member
Im just looking forward to being able to get ubuntu to work again... 10.04 refused to install properly on my machine... intel 8800 quad core... 4 GB Ram, so its not like I have some old obscure machine or anything.

This time I was forced to use kubuntu

ic

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Im just looking forward to being able to get ubuntu to work again... 10.04 refused to install properly on my machine... intel 8800 quad core... 4 GB Ram, so its not like I have some old obscure machine or anything.

This time I was forced to use kubuntu
I had NVidia display driver issues upgrading from 9.10 to 10.04, with alternating horizontal black & white stripes across my monitors - I worked around the problem.

What were the symptoms of your 10.04 misadventure?

Avenue

Expert Member
I had NVidia display driver issues upgrading from 9.10 to 10.04, with alternating horizontal black & white stripes across my monitors - I worked around the problem.

What were the symptoms of your 10.04 misadventure?

my problem is slightly different- when I try to install either the 32 bit or 64 bit versions I get an error that says something like "system has encountered an unrecoverable error, and will now start a live session." it then runs live, and I have to install it from there. Once installed I get a mountain of small irritating errors, such as I am unable to mount more than one dvd per session- so if I change dvd's I then have to restart before it will read. security doesn't work properly, so you can access other drives without a password... stuff like that.

kubuntu on the other hand works 99%, but at each log in I have adjust screen resolution.

Even so I find working in linux a great experience, I wont go back to windows in a hurry

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
I was hoping they would include a "System Restore" function or, at the very lease an easy to use, one click Image Backup solution.

Oh, and this has been logged as a request for the Ubuntu team on the official site.

ic

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
my problem is slightly different- when I try to install either the 32 bit or 64 bit versions I get an error that says something like "system has encountered an unrecoverable error, and will now start a live session." it then runs live, and I have to install it from there. Once installed I get a mountain of small irritating errors, such as I am unable to mount more than one dvd per session- so if I change dvd's I then have to restart before it will read. security doesn't work properly, so you can access other drives without a password... stuff like that.

kubuntu on the other hand works 99%, but at each log in I have adjust screen resolution.

Even so I find working in linux a great experience, I wont go back to windows in a hurry
I have no idea as to what could be causing all those problems - perhaps I'm just lucky and never experience weird things like that, but I do have rather old hardware that has had kernel support for some time.

Avenue

Expert Member
I have no idea as to what could be causing all those problems - perhaps I'm just lucky and never experience weird things like that, but I do have rather old hardware that has had kernel support for some time.

yeah its odd, because iv used ubuntu since 8.10 and this is the first time I ever had problems

ambo

Expert Member
yeah its odd, because iv used ubuntu since 8.10 and this is the first time I ever had problems
I have sometimes seen new kernels introduce regressions on older hardware. I had to upgrade to the beta of maverick since the kernel shipped with lucid does not support the insides of my new laptop.

Doing a google search with the exact wording of your error message will often hit discussions on the ubuntu forums or launchpad.

K3NS31

Expert Member
Awesome - Oneconf, Ubuntu One, Mimenu and isn't Unity coming out with this version of Netbook Edition?

Apple and M$ are actually genuinely lagging behind now.