Shaylin

Hello All

I have been accepted to study at UCT (BSc Computer Science and Applied Mathematics) and at Stellenbosch University (BSc Computer Science) for undergraduate studies next year. But, I am unsure of which institution to chose.

The degree at UCT is recognised by the British Computer Society (BSC) but Stellenbosch is very mush practical as opposed to research - from what I hear. Which university is more internationally recognised and which degree is more valuable? I also want the typical 'student life' - have fun, explore new places, meet new people and just enjoy my experience. I was set on UCT for a long time but recently I have been offered a bursary by Stellenbosch University - this is the reason for my dilemma.

What should I do?

Thanks in advance.

cguy

Executive Member
I would recommend sticking with UCT. UCT has a better CS ranking than Stellenbosch. Also UCT is the most highly ranked University in SA, and is known to some extent overseas.

https://businesstech.co.za/news/lifestyle/302552/the-best-subjects-to-study-at-sas-top-universities/

There was also some recent discussion here: https://mybroadband.co.za/forum/threads/should-i-study-ap-maths-and-comp-science-at-unisa.1049612/ @bchip hasn't heard good things about Stellenbosch. I haven't heard anything bad myself, but it is definitely a much smaller CS department.

You should definitely try study to your honours degree to get the best international recognition.

As for practical vs research - that's just nonsense. One persons theory/research is another person's practical. Personally, I would choose the degree that does the most amount of research, because it's the most practical thing to do.

I did a CS+Maths major at UCT some 20+ years go.

Packer

I also want the typical 'student life' - have fun, explore new places, meet new people and just enjoy my experience.
I think you may have to speak Afrikaans fluently to make the most of the Stellenbosh experience.

Pegasus

Executive Member
If you're a communist or like throwing poop at stuff and generally burning, breaking and looting then UCT is for you.