UK Daily Mail - Zuma Article

Balstrome

Banned
PETER HITCHENS on South Africa's next president

Imagine how you would react if Gordon Brown opened and closed his election rallies by bursting into a song called Bring Me My Machine Gun, swaying and jigging to the hypnotic chorus of this menacing ditty.

And how would you feel if the Prime Minister were alleged to be taking campaign money from Colonel Gaddafi; faced 783 counts of fraud, racketeering, tax evasion and corruption which somehow never came to court; and had been acquitted of rape while his fearsome supporters mobbed the courthouse?

Then ponder how you would despair if, despite all these things, Mr Brown's party was certain to win the election whatever he did or said.

If you can picture all this happening here, then you have an inkling of the horrible process South Africa is now going through. Except it is much, much worse.

This fast-approaching catastrophe is a source of shame and apprehension to millions of honest people, white and black, in South Africa itself.

It is also a tragedy for Africa as a whole, a continent hungry for any reason to hope. And it is grave news for the civilised world, which needs no more failed states.

Yet I can promise you I will be accused of alarmism and pessimism for saying so, and quite possibly of 'racism' too.

Why? All the soppy admirers of Nelson Mandela - especially the BBC - gave the new South Africa a free pass when apartheid ended 15 years ago.

They wanted to believe this complicated and important nation had become a sort of heaven on Earth where all tears were dried and all problems solved.

Mr Mandela himself, personally decent but politically ineffectual and naive, served as both figurehead and figleaf for the new order. The world ignored or forgave his continuing friendships with the world's worst despots, and the fraudulent bungling that surrounded him.

Now, looking frail, bemused and ancient, he recently had to be helped on to the stage by his suspect would-be successor, to endorse the grotesque rabble who seek to succeed him.

Once, South Africa dominated the nightly news for weeks on end. Now the liberal media barely mention it. Why not? Because post-apartheid South Africa is a failure.

You don't hear about the terrifying crime. You don't hear about the pestilence of corruption, or the absurd purchase of needless submarines and aircraft for a country with no serious enemies except its own elite.

There is a little about AIDS, but nothing like as much as there should be, given the acres of graves that commemorate the government's moronic policies, of denial and folk remedies (including beetroot).

Violent xenophobic rage against uncontrolled mass immigration was played down both in South Africa and abroad because it did not fit the smiley picture beloved by the Mandela worshippers. And little is said about the unstoppable spread of shanty towns, far outstripping state attempts to build proper houses for the poor.

Electricity blackouts - the invariable sign of a country on the slide - are now frequent. The ill-run nuclear power station inherited from the apartheid regime's atom bomb programme is beginning to judder and fail, raising fears of an African Chernobyl.

Then there are the overstretched water supply, the railway system fraying at the edges and the unguarded borders open to migrants and refugees from every destitute nation in Africa.

It is largely thanks to these new arrivals that wretched, instant slums sprout right up to the edge of Cape Town's slick new airport, currently being expensively modernised ready for the World Cup next year during which Mandela groupies will doubtless once again swoon about the 'success' of the Rainbow Nation.

Of course much of tourist South Africa still looks like the American West Coast: smooth six-lane highways, shopping malls, big houses in shady gardens, all tended by cheap black servants.

But close to the prettiness is fear and apprehension. Even in the lovely Cape wine country, squatter camps have erupted on the outskirts of towns where chefs drizzle olive oil on to fancy salads less than a mile from open sewers and gang wars among corrugated iron shacks.

Here is another world, much bigger than the tourist paradise, and truly, cruelly poor.

It is also increasingly hostile to the soft enclaves where the new rich and the holidaymakers are apparently oblivious of the filth, hunger, alcoholic stupor, drug-taking and wretchedness which lie just the other side of every hill.

Like ice and fire, these two societies cannot coexist forever, and when one is 40 million strong and the other one tenth of that, there is little doubt which will win. The only question is how and when the dreamtime will end.

In the coming weeks, South Africa seems to me to be taking several definite steps towards its cold, shocking awakening - as a full member of the Third World.

The man who will lead it there is called Jacob Zuma. Remember the name. You are going to hear a lot more of it.

Zuma is wholly African. He has at least four wives and 18 children. He has for years avoided standing trial on fraud and corruption charges. Nobody seriously believes he ever will: his approaching election is already spreading fear in South Africa's legal establishment.

Mr Zuma joined the Communist Party in 1962 (he only left a few years ago), and has a dark and inadequately examined past as a much-feared intelligence chief in the ANC's ruthless armed wing, Spear of the Nation. He underwent 'military training' in the old Soviet Union in 1978, when the KGB was very much in charge of such things.

On April 22 he will become President of one of the world's most important countries.

Comrade Zuma, as his supporters know him, certainly is not dull. And South Africa will not be dull either when he takes over.
Read the rest of the article here, if you can stomach it.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/wor...n-PETER-HITCHENS-South-Africas-president.html

jay-co

sjoe this is quite hectic.......

shudder to think whats gonna happen

gboy

Expert Member
You can see this is a author who has got newspapers to sell.

I personally think JZ will not be all that bad, and besides its adapt and survive.

Ricard

Expert Member
You can see this is a author who has got newspapers to sell.

I personally think JZ will not be all that bad, and besides its adapt and survive.

Discuss the article... what are the 'sensationalist' pieces? He doesnt say anything about JZ being good/bad - he does say that JZ avoided court.

The article (did you read it?) is not just focusing on JZ, it looks at who he is surrounding himself with. Winnie,Selebi .. and what the election environment is like.

Is it an inaccurate article ?

Last edited:

zeb

Expert Member
He has four wives and he faced 783 counts of corruption: PETER HITCHENS on South Africa's next president aka The article that got me branded as a racist by Peter Hitchens.

R13...

Honorary Master
Discuss the article... what are the 'sensationalist' pieces? He doesnt say anything about JZ being good/bad - he does say that JZ avoided court.

The article (did you read it?) is not just focusing on JZ, it looks at who he is surrounding himself with. Winnie,Selebi .. and what the election environment is like.

Is it an inaccurate article ?

This is what one site has to say about old Pete'

No matter how aggravating Christopher Hitchens can be at times, he’s basically one of the good guys. I can’t say the same for his kid brother Peter, who takes ignorance and fear-mongering to a whole new level.

It would be nice to laugh it off, but I suspect he speaks for a disturbingly large number of people, including some of our more persistent commenters.

I wouldn't bother with the merits of his article - it looks like he scanned through some of our more colourful newspapers & then added some of his usual stuff & voila...

Ricard

Expert Member
This is what one site has to say about old Pete'

I wouldn't bother with the merits of his article - it looks like he scanned through some of our more colourful newspapers & then added some of his usual stuff & voila...

I didn't ask about his character, I asked if the article is inaccurate. 'Ol pete might be the biggest piece of crap on the planet, but that doesn't make his work all rubbish.
Darwin was labelled a crazy lunatic until the theory of evolution was studied by others. Galileo was persecuted for having a difference in opinion to the populous.

I am not trying to defend Pete, I am trying to get people to discuss the ARTICLE, not the person.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
That was actually an incredibly well written article from a British person who it seems, can see the good and bad in the ANC....

R13...

Honorary Master
I am not trying to defend Pete, I am trying to get people to discuss the ARTICLE, not the person.
Don't think you can divorce the article from the author.
Anyway, what he does is state some "facts - about Zuma" & then uses that as a spring board to attack SA. He does not analyse the reasons for the situation SA is in. He is fear mongering & trying to justify some agenda of his and whateva else.

Sure we have shacks, immigrants, etc; but if he were honest he would at least try & analyse why that is so & why we didn't have those things pre-'94. But doing that would not fit his agenda. Saying Mandela is politically naive & ineffectual is how shall I put - naive!

ToxicBunny

larrychang : Mandela is a great man, but he was an ineffectual leader... and politcally naive in many respects. What Peter Hitchens says in that article is correct.

ToxicBunny

If Mandela was an effective leader, we wouldn't be in a lot of the problems we're in now.... we wouldn't have the arms deal.. etc etc.. Mandela was at the helm when alot of these things were kicked off....

Balstrome

Banned
I mentioned elsewhere, that all the "negative" stuff we have been talking about, no one has yet, shown that we, negativers, are liars or are incorrect. In other words, rather than deal with the topics mentioned, these folk would run around shouting that we are negative and are not doing anything. If it was left to them, they would happily accept all the crap that is being fed to them. Maybe they should thank us for showing them the problems that are around us, because they don't seem to notice them, or maybe they like the smell..

Ricard

Expert Member
Don't think you can divorce the article from the author.
Anyway, what he does is state some "facts - about Zuma" & then uses that as a spring board to attack SA. He does not analyse the reasons for the situation SA is in. He is fear mongering & trying to justify some agenda of his and whateva else.

Sure we have shacks, immigrants, etc; but if he were honest he would at least try & analyse why that is so & why we didn't have those things pre-'94. But doing that would not fit his agenda. Saying Mandela is politically naive & ineffectual is how shall I put - naive!

All valid points, but he is not analysing the ANC specifically, he is analysing the up coming elections. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.... but being labelled a 'racist, crackpot, loser' etc on the basis of a differing opinion is not very tolerant and not very open-minded.

I also think Manedla is naive.... but I think FW and Tutu and all are naive too :D What did Mandela do AFTER becoming president? Nominated Mbeki as his successor!.. now that is a success story :D

Ol Pete is trying to sell papers, I cant dispute that - but where is the article inaccurate or incorrect ? just assume it was written by Mr A Nonymous for a bit without knowing the persons nature.

R13...

Honorary Master
If Mandela was an effective leader, we wouldn't be in a lot of the problems we're in now.... we wouldn't have the arms deal.. etc etc.. Mandela was at the helm when alot of these things were kicked off....

I thought you would have a bit more substance than that.
Mandela took over a mess, to mention but a few,
-The police was, untrusted by the people they were meants to police (read - the thin blue line for starters),
-The SADF was murderous & only known to shoot teargas thru the windows of sleeping folks in the townships (or black areas),
-During the states of emerg, the SADF wud regularly rape school girls whenever called upon to quell dissent or just when they felt like,
-White people where leaving key positions in droves for fear of a black gov, in the great chicken run,
-The civil service was staffed by a white afrikaner staff that was not prepared to bow to a black (this is true of most gov depts)
- Mind you CODESA agreements meant a lot of people who deserved to be purged could not be purged for the sake of a peaceful transition.

It was Mandela's job to manage the minefield he inherited from the nats.

Need I go on..

ToxicBunny

Yeah... go on...

Because he didn't fix those things, he put incompetent leaders in place ultimately.. so ineffectual leadership.

Alan

Honorary Master
That was actually an incredibly well written article from a British person who it seems, can see the good and bad in the ANC....

Agreed. Nice to see somebody from overseas has the common sense to see through the avalanche of propaganda spewed out about this country

You say he was naive. Do you believe he was so incompetent he couldn't grasp what was going around him? IMO he knew full well what has happening and endorsed it completely. I find it hard to believe this "great man" suddenly just changed into weak infective leader any more than say Mugabe suddenly changed from peaceful "progressive" into a vile tyrant.

ToxicBunny

I also think he was aware of SOME of what was going on around him and endorsed it.... Some he didn't have a clue because his lieutenants were hiding it from him...

R13...

Honorary Master
Toxic, it is very hard to manage people who don't want to be managed & in fact who are hell bent on fullfilling their prophesy of all doom & gloom. Unfortunately that mentality still exists to this day.
There are prophets of doom exploiting the naive & stupid with fear mongering - Zim 2.0, the Mandela death scam, and people actually believe the stuff. Even supposedly intelligent members of the community gobble up for gospel. I am not saying SA is headed for prosperity at the moment, but its inhabitants aren't helping with their self-fulfilling prophesies...

Too much I-told-you-so mentality!

ToxicBunny

Wow.... you live in a strange world....

Maybe theres just too much corruption and stuff going on, which feeds into the "I told-you-so mentality"