Unable to Dial PPPOE though any ISP

ghostbunny

I logged a ticket with WebAfrica, and they stated that according to telkom, their whole backend is affected by ransomware, and they can't do anything about it.

It's very confusing, because my line is syncing perfectly, just unable to dial pppoe to any network, have tried vox, afrihost, webafrica etc.

Is anyone else having this problem?

ghostRgg

Submitted a ticket with WA @WebAfrica Helper 2-3 days ago and its still being "processed" and is marked as low. Not sure how low it should be because there has been no internet connectivity for a while now. PPPoE is down, but line is up.

Support staff on Whatsapp created the ticket for me, said they brought it up with Openserve but not sure how accurate that is.

ghostbunny

Just pretty strange how we can't even dial a connection even though the line is syncing fine.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Just pretty strange how we can't even dial a connection even though the line is syncing fine.

This could mean that the dslam has a fibre break. The line is fine between you and the dslam and it's syncing fine but no authentication means the dslam backhaul could have a break.

SpaceIgniter

Master of Messengers
This could mean that the dslam has a fibre break. The line is fine between you and the dslam and it's syncing fine but no authentication means the dslam backhaul could have a break.
Probably a RADIUS server issue?

cavedog

Honorary Master
Probably a RADIUS server issue?

If I'm not mistaken the radius server belongs to each ISP and would not affect every ISP that is why I went with a cable break after the ISAM or DSLAM. The fact that the line is syncing means the copper cable between the router and ISMA/DSLAM is fine. Why is it not authenticating because from DSLAM onwards there is a break. So DSLAM is powered on and copper cable is fine.

"D"

Expert Member
@ghostbunny
@ghostRgg

Are you the same person?!?
Or are you brothers / sisters / brother and sister?!?

Both of you are trying to dial PPPoE connections from the afterlife, both of you are abusing the same ISP, and both of you are getting the same results. Does that mean you are both in the same vicinities in Hell/Heaven?!?

Last edited:

SpaceIgniter

Master of Messengers
If I'm not mistaken the radius server belongs to each ISP and would not affect every ISP that is why I went with a cable break after the ISAM or DSLAM. The fact that the line is syncing means the copper cable between the router and ISMA/DSLAM is fine. Why is it not authenticating because from DSLAM onwards there is a break. So DSLAM is powered on and copper cable is fine.
Youe logic makes sense. :)

ghostRgg

@ghostbunny
@ghostRgg

Both of you are trying to dial PPPoE connections from the afterlife, both of you are abusing the same ISP, and both of you are getting the same results. Does that mean you are both in the same vicinities in Hell/Heaven?!?

Yes (She is my girlfriend and we both share the need to dial PPPoE from the afterlife, as well as chase fibre)

ghostbunny

@ghostbunny
@ghostRgg

This is my favourite post on this forum.

ghostbunny

issue resolved by a tech being sent to the exchange, took around 10 days or something but we are good.