Uninterruptible Power Supply Requirements

Budza

Executive Member
I need an uninterruptible power supply. Convinced not having one is what caused my mobo to die on me :(

This thing: http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BK350EI
APC Back-UPS, 210 Watts / 350 VA, Input 230V / Output 230V , Interface Port USB

has 3 outputs, max 350VA, 210W. Is the 210W limit for battery output only or for the device as a whole? If battery only, is there no limit on what it can put out while on AC?

Now, does this mean I can run 3 PCs off it? IE, an HP Microserver, HTPC and a gaming PC?

Microserver will be on 24x7. HTPC a few hours each evening, gaming on weekends. Unlikely all 3 will be on at the same time for very long, so best case is only Microserver needs to draw on battery, possibly that plus either of the other two but unlikely all three at once...

The UPS will smooth out power to all attached devices and hopefully allow auto shutdown of the Microserver when left unattended.

Hoping I don't need something like this for these PCs: http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BR900GI

What'd you use? TIA.

Pada

Executive Member
There is no way that you can run a gaming PC off that tiny UPS.
You should be able to run your HP Microserver off it, but I doubt that you'll be able to run your HTPC on its own off that UPS.

You wil have to post your PC & screen specs/model numbers of everything that you want to run off the UPS before we can make any recommendations. The important ones are: CPU model #, Graphics card model #, # of HDD's, PSU model #, to what speed/voltage you're overclocking & screen model #.

You will probably have to go for something like the following if you want to power all three of those PC's of it: APC Smart-UPS SUA1000i @ ~R3,561 (incl VAT, excl shipping)
There are cheaper options available, like the Powercom Black Knight Pro 1500VA.

Last edited:

DanH

Expert Member
Nope, that's only good enough for a single office machine. 3power sockets for pc, screen, printer usually.

It could run either the mirco server or the htpc for 15-20min when new, not the gaming pc. Also it won't run the tv/hifi connected to the htpc.

Pada

Executive Member
DanH:
Please just note that you should NEVER run a Laser Printer off an UPS!

It could probably run the HP Microserver for 15-20 minutes if you have just 1 low power HDD and if the PC is idling. The HTPC's could often be rather power hungry: 150W+.

DanH

Expert Member
DanH:
Please just note that you should NEVER run a Laser Printer off an UPS!

It could probably run the HP Microserver for 15-20 minutes if you have just 1 low power HDD and if the PC is idling. The HTPC's could often be rather power hungry: 150W+.

Yes agree totally. Sorry should of said inkjet printer. That's what the 3 power sockets are for, not 3PCs.

Budza

Executive Member
That's what the 3 power sockets are for, not 3PCs.

:eek:

OK. Thanks. R700 was doable, R3k not so much...

Will have to weigh up pros and cons of 2xR700 UPS and something bigger for the other one or 1xR3k UPS.

HTPC is ~same as Microserver specwise: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_CPU_on_Board/E35M1M_PRO/#specifications

Gaming is old: AMD Athlon x2 7850 @2.8Ghz, 3870 both stock and 4HDDs. Looking to upgrade that shortly for BF3. R3k UPS kills budget tho :(

Screen is a 42" TV.

Pada

Executive Member
Rather just buy one big PSU, unless the PC's are far apart (eg. in different rooms).

Typically you should get a UPS with its wattage being the same/bigger than the PSU(s) of the PC(s). Sometimes you do get PC's that has much bigger PSU's than necessary, like my 850W PSU, where as my PC only draws 520W max.
So if you're running 2 uATX servers with 150W PSU's each, then you should look at getting a 300W (400VA+) UPS if you're going to run both those PC(s) off the same UPS.