UnoTelly loses PayPal support

mozez

I must say, this is a smart way of cutting down some users. I really do wonder if they're able to do something with the CC cards. Damn.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Is PayPal going to start cutting off all the other companies offering the same service?

xbmcfan

Is PayPal going to start cutting off all the other companies offering the same service?
Yes.
It's the same as when all the file hosts were cut off from Paypal in the past.
Cutting off Credit Cards is just as easy as Visa & Mastercard are both American companies and follow US laws for copyright and Geo-restricted content licensing violations.
The only way forward will be to pay with Bitcoin.

Milano

Honorary Master
Capitalist integrity. The blind giant suddenly sees (after launching in 130 new countries). how convenient :D

diabolus

Executive Member
Well the service i'm using (Ironsocket) is already using Bitcoin... who needs paypal? I think Paypal is just shooting themselves in the foot here, this is why all these alternative services are popping up , just makes it more and more viable not to use Paypal specifically.

Last edited:

Necropolis

Executive Member
Capitalist integrity. The blind giant suddenly sees (after launching in 130 new countries). how convenient :D
I suspect this has little to do with Netflix directly and a lot to do with the studios that they license content from.

Surv0

Executive Member
Dont use Paypal to pay them anyway, direct CC charge.. I highly doubt they can effect direct CC payments, that would mean forcing the various banks to remove their vender support which wont happen.

Valerion

Expert Member
Dont use Paypal to pay them anyway, direct CC charge.. I highly doubt they can effect direct CC payments, that would mean forcing the various banks to remove their vender support which wont happen.
They just need to convince Mastercard and Visa to block such payments, and it's blocked. As noted above, both are US companies, and can be pressured by the studios filing a court case against them.

Devinity

Yes.
It's the same as when all the file hosts were cut off from Paypal in the past.
Cutting off Credit Cards is just as easy as Visa & Mastercard are both American companies and follow US laws for copyright and Geo-restricted content licensing violations.
The only way forward will be to pay with Bitcoin.
so no EFT's or debit orders?

Sinbad

Honorary Master
They just need to convince Mastercard and Visa to block such payments, and it's blocked. As noted above, both are US companies, and can be pressured by the studios filing a court case against them.
Unotelly is a canadian company.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
It would certainly be a pain in the ass if PayPal, Visa and Mastercard all blocked UnoTelly. Buying Bitcoin isn't easy enough for most consumers to bother with.

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
Yes, just shows you.

Either they knew this was coming or they actually let it happen after they did their global launch.

Probably the first time I have felt a little worried about Netflix turning in to the bad guy. I think its totally going to happen.

UnoTelly

UnoTelly
Company Rep
Hello guys,

To begin with I want to apologize for this inconvenience.

It is true that we no longer accept payments from Paypal. Paypal has severed payment processing agreement unilaterally and without prior warning and this development is outside of our control.

We can only accept credit card payments at the time being. I’m happy to let you know that we are working on adding alternate payment methods in the coming weeks so keep an eye out for that!

Here is how to update your payment method: http://help.unotelly.com/support/solutions/articles/216145 . If you have any problems switching over to credit card, please let me know and we can help.

Closing, if you have a preferred method of payment, please leave a comment below and I will pass it to our team.

Thank you,
Kostas Polichronos
www.UnoTelly.com

Batista

Executive Member
Netflix would have to compensate them to get their way guess the offer was too much for Paypal to refuse.