Unsolicited Emails - Pandemic

djungled

There is a serious pandemic on the go in regards to Unsolicited emails - especially from some dying member in some foreign country with some crazy amount of money to be inherited.

I'm sure MWEB (my ISP) can be clever enough to filter these mails as SPAM as i'm receiving up to 3 a day.

How can people send mails which don't show the recipients in it? Shouldn't that at least be a filter for SPAM?

Come on MWEB - take a serious staunch here!

Mars

Honorary Master
a serious staunch?

I'm sure that you can change you spam filter settings with mweb. If you set them to a more aggressive filter you may start losing legit emails. Personally I have faith in my own intelligence not to fall for this stuff and I just delete them when I see them.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
There is a serious pandemic on the go in regards to Unsolicited emails - especially from some dying member in some foreign country with some crazy amount of money to be inherited.

I'm sure MWEB (my ISP) can be clever enough to filter these mails as SPAM as i'm receiving up to 3 a day.

How can people send mails which don't show the recipients in it? Shouldn't that at least be a filter for SPAM?

Come on MWEB - take a serious staunch here!

Why are you still using your ISP's email system? Switch to Gmail and you'll never see a SPAM email again (hardly).

Anthro

Expert Member
Do yourself a favour
  1. Create Gmail Account.
  2. Enable fetching from another POP3 Server
    https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?shva=1#settings/accounts
    -- Doing this enables extra filters which you can apply within Gmail (MWEB sucky sucky 5 dolla, when it comes to this)
  3. Fill in details of particular server
  4. Enable POP / iMAP
    -- https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?shva=1#settings/fwdandpop
    Guide: http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&ctx=mail&answer=12103
  5. Set up your Email client to fetch from Gmail
  6. Profit.

Last edited:

kayvee

Expert Member
Why are you still using your ISP's email system? Switch to Gmail and you'll never see a SPAM email again (hardly).

+1, couldn't agree more.

It's really not that difficult to route all your email addresses via gmail, problem sorted.

chrisc

Executive Member
Only 3? I get 50 every day to my pop3 accounts. GMail is your answer. Just go and look now and then at the spam folder and see how Gmail saves you wading through all this junk.

Zewp

Banned
Been with Mweb for two years now and been almost entirely spam-free so far. Might have had one or two slip through, but no more than that.

Necuno

Court Jester
Only 3? I get 50 every day to my pop3 accounts. GMail is your answer. Just go and look now and then at the spam folder and see how Gmail saves you wading through all this junk.

Stop using email in doggy places? :erm:

Sinbad

Honorary Master
There seems to be a concerted dictionary type spam attack happening at the moment, at least against my domain. I have 6k odd mails in google's spam folder from the last few days.