[URGENT] Fix Windows XP Boot

NomNom

Executive Member
Ok long story short, I botched up dual booting windows xp pro with another windows xp pro and now when I try and get into the original windows xp pro install I get a blank screen with a blinking _ at the top left.

I have tried EVERYTHING like:
fixmbr
fixboot
bootcfg /rebuild
copy d:\i386\ntldr c:\
copy d:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\

And nothing, please tell me I am doing something wrong I need to get the windows working asap. I CANNOT format it and start from scratch.

:crying:

Elimentals

Honorary Master
From my limited Windows knowledge (Linux User) I dont think you can install 2 copies of XP as dual boot.

It will install one copy and move the prev version to a c:\WINDOWS.OLD folder.

Would you mind checking and see if this is what happened?

Smiley_lauf

Expert Member
I have not had experience with your setup, but try using EasyBCD in Win XP Pro (2) to rewrite the MBR; then reboot and then use EasyBCD to map the other partition with Win XP Pro (1).

You may have a misaligned disc partition system--OS not recognizing boot sectors on dics--not not sure how to solve this??

NomNom

Executive Member
From my limited Windows knowledge (Linux User) I dont think you can install 2 copies of XP as dual boot.

It will install one copy and move the prev version to a c:\WINDOWS.OLD folder.

Would you mind checking and see if this is what happened?

I attempted to follow this guide: http://www.simplyguides.net/guides/dual_boot_xp_and_xp/dual_boot_xp_and_xp1.shtml

After the Windows XP installed the installation files I restarted and then it wouldn't go into the installation.

I have removed the second windows xp since it wouldn't boot up in the first place after the first step of installing it. I am unable to get into the Windows Xp that is currently installed.

You may have a misaligned disc partition system--OS not recognizing boot sectors on dics--not not sure how to solve this??

That sounds like what might have happened since I used gparted to shrink the original windows xp to make room for the second one, but it was still working after I did that.

Last edited:

Elimentals

Honorary Master
I attempted to follow this guide: http://www.simplyguides.net/guides/dual_boot_xp_and_xp/dual_boot_xp_and_xp1.shtml

After the Windows XP installed the installation files I restarted and then it wouldn't go into the installation.

I have removed the second windows xp since it wouldn't boot up in the first place after the first step of installing it. I am unable to get into the Windows Xp that is currently installed.

Wow, ok I did not even know that was possible, never to old to learn. Sorry can not help you then as I have no experience on this type of stuff-up. Normally just dual boot Linux/Windows and normally use GRUB or the old LILO to handle the boot menu's.

Just a hint as (To late I know) next time use Virtualbox

Burnblaze

Sure you can, I just did it yesterday.

That sounds like what might have happened since I used gparted to shrink the original windows xp to make room for the second one, but it was still working after I did that.

Why did you shrink the partition? Multiple windows instances can be installed over each other in the same partition without any problems. Unless of course the windows install did not detect your 'old' windows to begin with...

NomNom

Executive Member
Just a hint as (To late I know) next time use Virtualbox

I reason I wanted to install another Windows XP was for incase the current one fails in anyway, it's not my pc it's for someone else who is leaving the country in a week, so I thought it would be neat to have a second windows xp as a backup incase the current one have any problems.

If the problem is still not fixed after going through that checklist then I think I will have to reinstall from scratch, will have to backup the firefox bookmarks/emails somehow though. Thanks for trying to help and not simply just saying "Just upgrade to linux" :)

Why did you shrink the partition? Multiple windows instances can be installed over each other in the same partition without any problems.

Didn't know that, if I did maybe this problem would of been averted.

NomNom

Executive Member
Ended up having to completely reinstall from scratch owell, lesson learnt.

Smiley_lauf

Expert Member
NomNom--also what you could do while you are at reinstalling--create a data only partition and system OS partition (you can have 2 primary partitions and 1 extended)--then install the 2 XP on each of the 2 partitions; do all this through Win XP installtion during partitioning. It has always worked for me.

and oh, why not just upgrade him to Win 7--he will not have issues in a long time.(compared to XP that is).

NomNom

Executive Member
NomNom--also what you could do while you are at reinstalling--create a data only partition and system OS partition (you can have 2 primary partitions and 1 extended)--then install the 2 XP on each of the 2 partitions; do all this through Win XP installtion during partitioning. It has always worked for me.

and oh, why not just upgrade him to Win 7--he will not have issues in a long time.(compared to XP that is).

Good idea thanks will do that for next time. She doesn't have the time to get used to Windows 7 unfortunately, otherwise I would of put Windows 7 on.