[URGENT] Windows 8 Password Reset

NomNom

Executive Member
Last edited:
F

Fudzy

Argh, well good luck, let us know what works. My account is linked to my GMail account, I'd forget Mrs. Fudzy's birthday before I forgot that password :D

Aquadyne

Expert Member
I've tried that already, it's total rubbish :(

Luckily for me I have another laptop here tonight that also has Windows 8 so I am going to give this a try: http://reboot.pro/topic/17872-reset-a-windows-8-password-without-using-any-third-party-software/

That seems like a nice workaround, let us know if it worked for you.

If it does, I think that creating a script to enable and disable these changes might be worthwhile to add to ones utility arsenal.

There are other utilities available that will easily accomplish this as well, but they remain guarded due possible nefarious use.

SYNERGY

Executive Member
There was a novel way of resetting the password that I used.

Used a Win 7 installtion disc, selected repair- launced a command line prompt, replaced the Windows Disablity Keyboard helper thingamajig exe with the command line prompt exe.

So booted up into Windows, selected on screen keyboard which launched the command line prompt, and resetted the password. This was on Win7 thou.

There should be a lot of ways to do this- just google for the most non destructive way :)

NomNom

Executive Member
There was a novel way of resetting the password that I used.

Used a Win 7 installtion disc, selected repair- launced a command line prompt, replaced the Windows Disablity Keyboard helper thingamajig exe with the command line prompt exe.

So booted up into Windows, selected on screen keyboard which launched the command line prompt, and resetted the password. This was on Win7 thou.

There should be a lot of ways to do this- just google for the most non destructive way :)

I've had a huge problem trying to reset the Windows 8 password since most of the current password reset disk don't work for Windows 8 only Windows 7 and below.

Luckily there is a "loophole" to reset the password, if there wasn't I wouldn't be able to reset the password.

I'm happy to report that this works!!! :D

http://reboot.pro/topic/17872-reset-a-windows-8-password-without-using-any-third-party-software/

I can also report that Ophcrack doesn't work to reset/crack the password for Windows 8.

Last edited:

Aquadyne

Expert Member
I've had a huge problem trying to reset the Windows 8 password since most of the current password reset disk don't work for Windows 8 only Windows 7 and below.

Luckily there is a "loophole" to reset the password, if there wasn't I wouldn't be able to reset the password.

I'm happy to report that this works!!! :D

http://reboot.pro/topic/17872-reset-a-windows-8-password-without-using-any-third-party-software/

I can also report that Ophcrack doesn't work to reset/crack the password for Windows 8.

Good job and thanks for the feedback. I think I'll try writing a script for this and keep it handy via Dropbox.

bdt

Executive Member
You in the mood to check Old Faithful, aka Offline NT Password Editor? I know it works up to the Win7 family tree but haven't had access to Win8 to try against. FWIW; another, friendlier-looking tool I've used is Rescatux

Last edited:

NomNom

Executive Member
You in the mood to check Old Faithful, aka Offline NT Password Editor? I know it works up to the Win7 family tree but haven't had access to Win8 to try against. FWIW; another, friendlier-looking tool I've used is Rescatux

There have been reports that Offline NT Password Editor doesn't work, never heard of the latter, been sorted already though :)

bdt

Executive Member
Oh I know it's been sorted, I did read that part.:cool: I was more hoping you'd give them a test drive seeing as you have the system in front of you.