US Election 2020 - Pt 2

lumeer

Expert Member
Just a small reminder of what the protesters are marching for. Sorry, but the US police force are way out of control:

https://www.reddit.com/r/policebrutality/comments/hjlkjp

https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout/comments/hip4ew
Maybe the police are victims themselves, their behaviour due to trauma and ill treatment from the public. They are not the enemy.

If you want the police to be defunded, you had better get used to wild west justice like you saw from the couple, because that's what people will be driven to if they have to defend themselves without the police.

cerebus

Honorary Master
Maybe the police are victims themselves, their behaviour due to trauma and ill treatment from the public. They are not the enemy.
So that justifies them sending in 20 officers to violently arrest someone for possession of weed? Or plowing their car straight into a group of protesters sending them flying? Or breaking into someone's house wrongly and then threatening them when they're filmed? There are hundreds of such incidents. The police need to be accountable and somehow above the fracas. To me it looks like they are becoming an authoritarian force, permeated with racist elements who keep being uncovered.

If you want the police to be defunded, you had better get used to wild west justice like you saw from the couple, because that's what people will be driven to if they have to defend themselves without the police.
I want the police to be reformed. Partial defunding would be a step of a multifaceted solution. Defunding does not mean eliminating the police force. Apart from some special forces, the police do not need to be militarized.

greg0205

Honorary Master

That's not what defund the police means and you know it.

rietrot

Honorary Master
Biden will be such a breath of fresh air after four years of Trump. Why, when I think of Trump, do I think of processed food? I wonder if Trump smells like McDonalds? You are what you eat, after all.
I think this line of thinking, for people not really that interested in politics might be valid and influential in Nov.

People that just want a return to normalcy that would vote Biden in Nov. Without realising it is the left(Dems) pushing the crazy.

greg0205

Honorary Master
Look at Minneapolis where this started for what defund the police means.
Oh, I agree.

Minneapolis Council Moves To Defund Police, Establish 'Holistic' Public Safety Force

Under the proposed plan, the city would eliminate the existing police department and replace it with "a department of community safety and violence prevention, which will have responsibility for public safety services prioritizing a holistic, public health-oriented approach."

The department would be overseen by a director, nominated by the mayor and approved by the City Council. Only individuals with "non-law enforcement experience in community safety services, including but not limited to public health and/or restorative justice approaches," will be eligible to hold the post, according to the amendment.

Additionally, the city could keep a much smaller division of law enforcement in effect under the supervision of the department of community safety and violence prevention.

"We are going straight into the architecture of how safety is provided for in our community, and we're going straight into the heart of the foundations of that work," council member Alondra Cano said.

Lucas Buck

Expert Member
Just a small reminder of what the protesters are marching for. Sorry, but the US police force are way out of control:

https://www.reddit.com/r/policebrutality/comments/hjlkjp

https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout/comments/hip4ew
Although they're being arrested for bullshit charges, the first two guys were resisting. How are you going to easily handcuff someone who is resisting.

The police action in the last video is excessive. The protestors are however putting their own lives in danger. Who says that those policemen didn't get an alert that they need to be elswhere. The protestors are preventing them from doing their jobs. Police have a responsiblity to the public but the public do not have a right to behave irresponsibly, there could be real danger to police in a situation like that, if my job was dangerous I'd try to get out of those kinds of situations before it's too late.

cerebus

Honorary Master
Although they're being arrested for bullshit charges, the first two guys were resisting. How are you going to easily handcuff someone who is resisting.
Why do you say they were resisting?

The police action in the last video is excessive. The protestors are however putting their own lives in danger. Who says that those policemen didn't get an alert that they need to be elswhere. The protestors are preventing them from doing their jobs. Police have a responsiblity to the public but the public do not have a right to behave irresponsibly, there could be real danger to police in a situation like that, if my job was dangerous I'd try to get out of those kinds of situations before it's too late.
Excessive? It's homicidal. Come on...

cerebus

Honorary Master
LOL Trump is still wishing Coronavirus would just go away like magic because he's too useless to do anything about it

access

Honorary Master
There was no mention of China before Peggie brought it up.

I get the impression that he genuinely thinks anything that isn't Trumpism is communism.
"there are two types of people. those who can extrapolate from incomplete data"

also, why do you only you guys get to bring things up, where do you get these rules from? lol

Lucas Buck

Expert Member
Why do you say they were resisting?

Excessive? It's homicidal. Come on...
The first guy is moving around and you can see the second guy fighting when they try and put him in the car. Unless you're the officer holding him down you can't tell what pressure the suspect is exerting in trying to get out of the hold. Which is why it sometimes takes more than one officer to subdue a suspect.

Exessive or homocidal. Why get yourself into that situation, just because you're part of a crowd. If it was one or two people surrounding them then the police could have easily gotten out and arrested them. I wouldn't trust a crowd surrounding my car not to have bad intentions. Some of these situations are not so easy to make snap judgments about.

Police brutality happens, I just don't think that these three videos are good examples.

greg0205

Honorary Master
"there are two types of people. those who can extrapolate from incomplete data"

also, why do you only you guys get to bring things up, where do you get these rules from? lol
Mostly because it's only us guys who tend to post articles here. You guys like to post gotchas and memes.

I've asked 'you guys' to post article worth discussing more than once... I'm still waiting.

Scroll back a bit. Tell me I'm wrong.

Then...

Post something worth discussing so we can have at it.

cerebus

Honorary Master
The first guy is moving around
I beg your pardon? He's pinned to the floor, the only thing moving are his feet. And he's telling them he can't breathe, which .... sounds familiar. What on earth possesses you to claim that he's resisting arrest?

and you can see the second guy fighting when they try and put him in the car. Unless you're the officer holding him down you can't tell what pressure the suspect is exerting in trying to get out of the hold. Which is why it sometimes takes more than one officer to subdue a suspect.
The second guy is twisting yeah. It's a thing you do when you can't breathe.

Exessive or homocidal. Why get yourself in that position, just because you're part of a crowed. If it was one or two people surrounding them then the police could have easily gotten out and arrested them. I wouldn't trust a crowed surrounding my car not to have bad intentions. Some of these situations are not so easy to make snap judgments about.
You do not expect a police car to suddenly plow you over. It's not a reasonable thing to assume. You assume that the police are trying to keep the peace and they will intervene to stop vandalism or violence, but there was absolutely no rationale for the car to drive through the people. You can clearly see the malicious intent in the video.

Hey look here's another one:

access

Honorary Master
You guys like to post gotchas and memes.
wow thats rich

thing is, only things you align with is worth discussing for you, otherwise its insults and memes and gotchas. sound familiar doesnt it.

i dont mind rational discussions, its fun. like i used to think some of you guys had some pretty interesting stuff to say, but the longer i read and the closer i looked at a lot of it, it becomes off key, requested explanations is refused or ignored(or maybe theyre seen as gotchas??). or met with memes or gotchas or insults.