USB files getting corrupted how to solve

Bhoza

Good day, I have a problem with media I have sent to my USB stick it just keeps getting corrupted .

Detailed break down is as follows

I'm using a laptop with windows 8. Sending the media to an 8 gig USB stick, using DVD to play the media sow I convert all the media(videos) to MPG format.
After converting all videos are under 500 mega bites but most are in the range of 80 -120 mb.

At first, the content in the stick would show signs of being corrupted by not being able to play certain videos and changing the names of the files, also creating new files. Now though after a couple of minutes having sent some videos the stick show's signs of being corrupt as mentioned above while still on the laptop though.

The stick and laptop have no virus and at the moment I am limited to just this stick with the lock down and all. Sow I am hoping for a solution that fixes some problem I don't know of with the material mention or rather in my hands.

and last but not least the format for the USB is FAT23

If you have a solution I would appreciate your help.

chrisc

Executive Member
There are utilities that can restore your USB stick to factory settings. If that does not help, get another

Hephaestus

Forging
FAT32 okay, try NTFS and ExFAT.
If the issue persists try to use a different USB.
If there are still a problem it is with your OS, that has a format or transfer problem

Bhoza

There are utilities that can restore your USB stick to factory settings. If that does not help, get another
What are those utilities ? and doesn't formatting do the same thing?

Bhoza

If there are still a problem it is with your OS, that has a format or transfer problem
At the moment and the next 21 days this is the only USB I can use ,and I assume if it is my OS then the is no fix for it ?

Hephaestus

Forging
At the moment and the next 21 days this is the only USB I can use ,and I assume if it is my OS then the is no fix for it ?
If it is OS just restore to point where it worked, OS update can sometime screw up, but try different formats and another USB first.
You can still get a new one tomorrow

Daruk

Honorary Master
Good day, I have a problem with media I have sent to my USB stick it just keeps getting corrupted .

Detailed break down is as follows

I'm using a laptop with windows 8. Sending the media to an 8 gig USB stick, using DVD to play the media sow I convert all the media(videos) to MPG format.
After converting all videos are under 500 mega bites but most are in the range of 80 -120 mb.

At first, the content in the stick would show signs of being corrupted by not being able to play certain videos and changing the names of the files, also creating new files. Now though after a couple of minutes having sent some videos the stick show's signs of being corrupt as mentioned above while still on the laptop though.

The stick and laptop have no virus and at the moment I am limited to just this stick with the lock down and all. Sow I am hoping for a solution that fixes some problem I don't know of with the material mention or rather in my hands.

and last but not least the format for the USB is FAT23

If you have a solution I would appreciate your help.
It sounds like the USB stick is faulty. You can try formatting with the sd formatter tool, but I suspect the stick is corrupt. Post an image of the corruption (file names) - that might give us a clue.

*This works for USB drives as well

Bhoza

and Changing to NTFS and ExFAT ,I tried that it didn't work as the stick could not load or it would appear blank

Hephaestus

Forging
and Changing to NTFS and ExFAT ,I tried that it didn't work as the stick could not load or it would appear blank
Where are you using the USB from your PC.
Most TV's and other can't read NTFS or ExFAT

Bhoza

Where are you using the USB from your PC.
Most TV's and other can't read NTFS or ExFAT
Indeed they can't sow that change is out of the question FAT32 is my only option ,and again I want to use the stick on a DVD because of a number of reasons like the bigger screen size of the TV etc...

Plus buying another USB at the moment is not an option I swung my weight (money) on food and Booze as I plan to enjoy this sabbatical plus I am not keen on spending the whole day in a mall tomorrow with the last minute buying frenzy going on.

Hephaestus

Forging
Indeed they can't sow that change is out of the question FAT32 is my only option ,and again I want to use the stick on a DVD because of a number of reasons like the bigger screen size of the TV etc...

Plus buying another USB at the moment is not an option I swung my weight (money) on food and Booze as I plan to enjoy this sabbatical plus I am not keen on spending the whole day in a mall tomorrow with the last minute buying frenzy going on.
Dude, its like R60 for a 16gig stick.

But yes, what date did your file transfer work last from PC to USB?

DanDango

Executive Member
Sounds like a fake Usb
This^, bought flash drive from a Chinese shop in Durban (2009). The flash drive size was 8gb but after copying more then 1gb the drive would crash and corrupted all the files.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Sounds like a fake Usb
Was going to say this. Storage is probably a few hundred megabytes and it's just cycling through the storage, overwriting older stuff.

Please note for trial version:
The test run stops after 15 minutes, why?
With the trial version the tests will only run for 15 minutes at a time. After the software has been purchased, the time is unlimited. Note that you can still get a much longer test run in the trial version by clicking on the Go button each 15 minutes After the software has been purchased the test duration can be increased from the, ‘Auto Stop’ field in the ‘Test preferences’ window.

saor

Honorary Master
I am not keen on spending the whole day in a mall tomorrow with the last minute buying frenzy going on.
USB sticks are available almost everywhere.
Hardly need to go to a mall for one.

Bhoza

Dude, its like R60 for a 16gig stick.

But yes, what date did your file transfer work last from PC to USB?
R60.00o_O ok, now I feel ancient.
The last time I bought a USB was years ago and I still have all of them in pristine working condition but they where around R200 - R300 and that is the 4 gig if my memory serves me right.

Sow @Hephaestus and @saor point made, and heard. Tomorrow I'll buy one to end this quest for a solution.

I'll update you soon enough.

Last edited:

Hephaestus

Forging
R60,00o_O ok, now I feel ancient.
The last time I bought a USB was years ago and I still have all of them in pristine working condition but they where around R200 - R300 and that is the 4 gig if my memory serves me right.

Sow @Hephaestus and @saor point made, and heard. Tomorrow I'll buy one to ending this quest for a solution.

I'll update you soon enough.
Let know, if the problem persist we can help you through a system restore

Bhoza

Greeting ...
Update. I bought a new 64 Gig and yes problem solved. The videos work just fine Now thank you,but I took this long to answer because after understanding my USB was the problem I began to do research and experiments to try and fix. I basically wanted to come back here and share my success story with the USB and videos.

Sow my last question is the a way to salvage this USB?

For extra info, it even corrupts music files also even if its only music in the stick . Sow is the any suggestion or should I just bin it?

Daruk

Honorary Master
Greeting ...
Update. I bought a new 64 Gig and yes problem solved. The videos work just fine Now thank you,but I took this long to answer because after understanding my USB was the problem I began to do research and experiments to try and fix. I basically wanted to come back here and share my success story with the USB and videos.

Sow my last question is the a way to salvage this USB?

For extra info, it even corrupts music files also even if its only music in the stick . Sow is the any suggestion or should I just bin it?
Just bin it. It's a physical issue with the drive. Attempting data recovery would be a waste of time IMO.