Using 2nd router as a wifi extender

allen001

I recently got a DLink router when I upgraded to fibre. I would like to use my Netgear router (model DGN2200) as a wifi repeater. I have wired a network cable from the DLink to the Netgear and can see the Netgear router from my cell phone, but am unable to connect to the internet. I changed the IP address of the Netgear so that it is different to the DLink. Please can someone advise what else I need to do?
(PS I also had a wifi extender that just plugs into a wall plug which used to work fine before I go the fibre and DLink router, but experienced exactly the same problem in that I could not connect to the internet.)
Thanks.

OneKnight

I recently got a DLink router when I upgraded to fibre. I would like to use my Netgear router (model DGN2200) as a wifi repeater. I have wired a network cable from the DLink to the Netgear and can see the Netgear router from my cell phone, but am unable to connect to the internet. I changed the IP address of the Netgear so that it is different to the DLink. Please can someone advise what else I need to do?
(PS I also had a wifi extender that just plugs into a wall plug which used to work fine before I go the fibre and DLink router, but experienced exactly the same problem in that I could not connect to the internet.)
Thanks.
Just keep in mind that wireless repeaters more or less halve the speed of the Wi-Fi link between the devices at the far end of the network and the primary router because the their signal have to be repeated.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
You need to disable DHCP on the secondary router (now access point) as stated above.

Also you need to connect it via any of the switch ports NOT the WAN port.

Then make sure it has a static IP outside the DHCP Range of the main router.

If there is a Gateway and DNS option that needs to be the IP of the main router.

allen001

Thanks for your response. I have been trying all sorts of combinations, but with no luck. I have changed the IP address of my Netgear (secondary) Router to 10.0.0.50. The DLink Router (primary) is still 10.0.0.2. I have changed the DHCP IP Address Range in the DLink to be 10.0.0.3 to 10.0.0.49; and in the Netgear to be 10.0.0.200 to 10.0.0.254.
When I deselect the Netgear "Use Router as a DHCP server", then when I try connect with wifi. the device (cell phone) tries to get an IP address and eventually gives an error "AP currently not in use. Internet connection slow".
When I select the Netgear "Use Router as a DHCP server", then my device connects to the router, but cannot connect to the internet.
I do not see a Gateway and DNS option on the DLink, although I am not sure where to look for it.
What else can I try? Thanks.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Make the Netgear 10.0.0.1 as a start as that will be outside the default range anyway, then turn it’s DHCP server off.

Did you connect LAN to LAN? Make sure that’s what you did.

Then using a working connection from the Dlink router do a ping to 10.0.0.1 to confirm the Ethernet works. Then check you can each the web interface of 10.0.0.2 and 10.0.0.1 on the same connection.

If that works your Ethernet between the two and base networking is functional at the very least.

Now physically connect to the Netgear with a cable and check you can reach 10.0.0.2 and 10.0.0.1 off the same link and reach the internet etc. And that you get a DHCP IP of course with Gateway 10.0.0.2.

Now worry about WiFi.

You won’t need to set the default Gateway or DNS on the Netgear as the DHCP Clients will get that from the DHCP server of the D-Link.

Silly question but are you sure the network cable actually works?

Last edited:

allen001

Thanks again for your prompt help. Really appreciate it. I have been away from my computer for a while because, very shortly after my last post, somehow I managed to get the Netgear to work. I have no idea what caused it, because the settings were the same as I described to you earlier this evening. I will keep your recommendation above, as I KNOW it will just as suddenly stop working again. Oh, after I got it to work with my cell phone, I read somewhere that one can change the wifi settings on the cell phone (under "show advanced options") to insert the IP address of the router.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Thanks again for your prompt help. Really appreciate it. I have been away from my computer for a while because, very shortly after my last post, somehow I managed to get the Netgear to work. I have no idea what caused it, because the settings were the same as I described to you earlier this evening. I will keep your recommendation above, as I KNOW it will just as suddenly stop working again. Oh, after I got it to work with my cell phone, I read somewhere that one can change the wifi settings on the cell phone (under "show advanced options") to insert the IP address of the router.
Yes you could always use a Static IP on your phone but it’s unnecessary and kind of defeats the point of having DHCP.

To me it sounds more like you connected the Netgear via the WAN port at first. Which would work but cause other issues down the line.

allen001

Did this make any difference to your wifi signal?
No. I am still battling. I have changed the IP address of the Netgear to 10.0.0.1 and I am able to access it from my desktop via the network cable. The cables are functioning OK, because I can use the cable on my Android Media box (Telkom LIT box).

allen001

Yes you could always use a Static IP on your phone but it’s unnecessary and kind of defeats the point of having DHCP.

To me it sounds more like you connected the Netgear via the WAN port at first. Which would work but cause other issues down the line.
As I guessed, this morning the wifi couldn't connect again. I did not touch the WAN settings on the Netgear, only the LAN settings.
So, from my desktop in my study, I am able to access the Netgear in my bedroom via the Ethernet cable, so this proves the cable is working and connected in one of the 4 available slots. From my desktop, I pinged both IP addresses 10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.2 using the cmd command. Both of these worked.
I can still connect to the wifi on the Netgear, but cannot access the internet, whether I use DHCP or a static IP (where I set the IP address to 10.0.0.1 and the Gateway to 10.0.0.2.
I have tried to attach snips of the Netgear settings - I am not sure if this was successful.
Sorry to be a pain.
Allen

Attachments

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
You don’t need to touch the WAN settings as it’s not doing any WAN or routing.

You still haven’t confirmed if you are connecting LAN to LAN ports.

You absolutely mustn’t be using the WAN port on either device.

allen001

You don’t need to touch the WAN settings as it’s not doing any WAN or routing.

You still haven’t confirmed if you are connecting LAN to LAN ports.

You absolutely mustn’t be using the WAN port on either device.
Sorry - I definitely am going LAN to LAN. (I have a Telkom LIT media box that I have connected to the DLink with the same cable and it works perfectly). On the DLink the WAN port is used to connect to the fibre box. The Netgear has 1 port labelled ADSL and 4 labelled Ethernet - the ADSL (I assume this is the WAN port) is open; the cable from the DLink is plugged into one ethernet port, and my LIT box is plugged into another Ethernet port. This is proving me with internet connectivity for the LIT box. So it is the wifi that seems to be the issue if my reckoning is correct. I have tried with both my cell phone and table and get the same result - i.e connection to the Netgear, but not the internet.

Hein69

So glad I saw this thead! I did the exact same thing, also LAN to LAN.
I followed the steps in this videohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3plXzZ1Ckc
It does work, but only when it wants to. I can connect to it and it will work, but when I disconnect and connect 30 min later there is no internet connection? Not sure where I went wrong, but I gave up since it frustrated me too much.

allen001

Ah ha! Exactly my experience. I battled for a few hours last night, but then couldn't connect with wifi. Then just as I was going to turn it suddenly both my cell phone and tablet could connect (not having changed any setting). Then this morning, I could not connect. Came back this afternoon and could connect. A total mystery.

allen001

I think I may have resolved this (well it seems to be working for me, at any rate). Hein69 mentioned a video videohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3plXzZ1Ckc. One of the last points made in the video was that the SSID of the main router and the one used as a wifi extender should be the same. I had them with different SSID's, but now renamed the secondary router with the same SSID as the main router. It now seems to work OK in that as I move around my house, the devices swap to the router closest to them.

Hein69

I think I may have resolved this (well it seems to be working for me, at any rate). Hein69 mentioned a video videohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3plXzZ1Ckc. One of the last points made in the video was that the SSID of the main router and the one used as a wifi extender should be the same. I had them with different SSID's, but now renamed the secondary router with the same SSID as the main router. It now seems to work OK in that as I move around my house, the devices swap to the router closest to them.
Maybe I should give that a try too:D