Using POTS filter splitter with VOIP

HaNsA

Expert Member
Hi

Going to be purchasing a grandstream ht802 ata, and connecting up my existing analogue phones to it.
If I use a pots filter splitter will it cause any problems? Ie one phone plugged into the adsl router plug on the pots filter, and another phone into the assigned phone plug on the filter, and the 3rd plug into the grandstream.
Will it have any negative effect on the functionality? Should I get a splitter without the pots part ?

Thank you

Last edited:

Hellhound105

Expert Member
Just get a normal splitter. I never tested what you want to achieve before.

But it might work

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Hi

Going to be purchasing a grandstream ht802 ata, and connecting up my existing analogue phones to it.
If I use a pots filter splitter will it cause any problems? Ie one phone plugged into the adsl router plug on the pots filter, and another phone into the assigned phone plug on the filter, and the 3rd plug into the grandstream.
Will it have any negative effect on the functionality? Should I get a splitter without the pots part ?

Thank you
It won't work. The ADSL side of the splitter filters out normal telephone type frequencies.

What are you trying to achieve? Just have 3 extensions on the VOIP device?

HaNsA

Expert Member
Thanks for the clarification. Will get a normal splitter, want to connect one cable into the cordless handset, and the other into the wall to send the signal along the internal copper wires, to connect a corded phone to the copper in another part of the home.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Thanks for the clarification. Will get a normal splitter, want to connect one cable into the cordless handset, and the other into the wall to send the signal along the internal copper wires, to connect a corded phone to the copper in another part of the home.
Is your wall jack connected to Telkom?

HaNsA

Expert Member
Will disconnect it at the point of entry into the house. Tried it with single phone and it works perfectly over the copper in the wall, just needed to know if I could use the adsl splitter

VoiceEngineer

if you need SIP details, i can get these at extremely low prices. Advise for your setup is provided as well.

dillydog

I think it may work, but you may have issues in the fixed phone ringing before the Grandstream, it is always first prize to go VOIP all over if you can...