Vintage Computers

Everyones-a-Wally

Honorary Master
True words

Got a couple of boxes of different Netware versions here, building an ArcNet, 3.11 Server high on my to-do list. :)
Yoh... 3.11 was a royal PITA. 3.12 introduced some nice updates including better client loaders. The modular NLM system was a huge improvement on the old 'compile your own IPX driver' though it was a memory hog by comparison. And if you had a buggy card... what a pain to fix. I recall certain 3com and SMC cards that needed special attention.

Everyones-a-Wally

Honorary Master
I assume the Osborne uses a 40-track drive, so the 80-track 1.2MB HD drives will likely not work.

Have a Google to see if a Gotek won't work. Pretty sure I've seen people using them.
Thanks, will take a look. The guys are apparently turning 80 track drives into 40 track drives with a low level format using a magnet LMAO.
Looks like the gotek starts at 1.2M. The osborne uses 160k...

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
About ARCNet and Token Ring.

These scale better under load.

But they also have their drawbacks.

jannievanzyl

Telecoms expert
You guys restore and work with more 'senior' hardware.
People tend to gravitate towards systems that are around the time they got their first real crush on a system. I fell in love with computing in the late 70's, you probably in the 90's. Both are perfectly acceptable.

I always smile at all the arguments on what is the definition of "vintage". Realty is that your "vintage" or "retro" is equally valid to mine. :)

jannievanzyl

Telecoms expert
Thanks, will take a look. The guys are apparently turning 80 track drives into 40 track drives with a low level format using a magnet LMAO.
Looks like the gotek starts at 1.2M. The osborne uses 160k...
The Gotek can emulate large number of floppy formats.

Here it is being used on an Osborne:

Peon

Expert Member
With CA or CD? :)
Csma/Cd my bad.

Token ring networks. Those 20Mbps worked so well.

Yea Pentium 1 75 MHz started for me. Looking back at it now the whole Windows 3.1 and Windows 95 was a contentious issue. We're a camp that refused 95.

jannievanzyl

Telecoms expert
Yoh... you'll have me waxing lyrical about CDDI and FDDI soon. Haven't heard these terms for yonks.
Was a huge FDDI fan, built some cool networks with it. And the way the protocol did the 4/5-bit lookup was quite interesting. :)

But always like how Token Ring worked on the wire. So much more elegant than Ethernet.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
Anyone remeber Lantastic? Used to work well over coaxial, until someone forgot the terminal resistor! Also fun when someone shared their drive with write-access, instead of read-only.

Those were much more innocent and less security conscious years...

jannievanzyl

Telecoms expert

jannievanzyl

Telecoms expert
Anyone remeber Lantastic? Used to work well over coaxial, until someone forgot the terminal resistor! Also fun when someone shared their drive with write-access, instead of read-only.

Those were much more innocent and less security conscious years...
Got a few boxes of Lantastic, still want to set it up at some point :)

Attachments

• 20210322_112405.jpg
    20210322_112405.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 9

Everyones-a-Wally

Honorary Master
Here is a list of drives that Gotek supports, it indicates you need a specific cable but then good to go.

Thanks @jannievanzyl that looks promising. It seems I may have a PSU fault - I tested with nothing connected last night and was getting between 2.5 and 3.5v for the 5v rail and around 5-7 for the 12v rails. I'm in two minds about getting another PSU just to get it booting or repairing this PSU. I'd like to have the original PSU in the box so I may just go with the long game at this stage and sort out the PSU first. I'm hearing a feint ticking sound coming from the PSU when powered.

jannievanzyl

Telecoms expert
Thanks @jannievanzyl that looks promising. It seems I may have a PSU fault - I tested with nothing connected last night and was getting between 2.5 and 3.5v for the 5v rail and around 5-7 for the 12v rails. I'm in two minds about getting another PSU just to get it booting or repairing this PSU. I'd like to have the original PSU in the box so I may just go with the long game at this stage and sort out the PSU first. I'm hearing a feint ticking sound coming from the PSU when powered.
Yeah, best to repair where you can and keep it original.

Did you remove / replace the Rifas? They tend to go up in smoke shortly after turning these old PSUs on.

PS. I'm assuming the Executive has filter caps, the Osborne 1 definitely has and they make lots of magic smoke.

Where are you based?