Vintage Computers

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
is that the first mouse?
it had a bloody long name back in the day
the x and y way navigator tool thingy

gregmcc

Honorary Master
This is the PSU- if I were to guess, I would say a transistor or cap. There's a small humming that initially made me think I was hearing a cap boiling, but no physical signs of swelling on any caps:

Looks like a few RIFA caps there. They are trouble causers in lots of retro PSU's. I would replace these first.

On the second pic. The rectangular ones with the @X

Everyones-a-Wally

Honorary Master
Looks like a few RIFA caps there. They are trouble causers in lots of retro PSU's. I would replace these first.

On the second pic. The rectangular ones with the @X
Yeah, I have a checklist to work through. I will likely replace those rizla caps first lol

jannievanzyl

Telecoms expert
Fully agree with this, I started on the Acorn Electron, BBC Model B and (at home) the Atari 800XL. Would really love to get my hands on any one of them, just for the nostalgia. Emulators and modern versions (think Arm and Micro Bit) just aren't the same
They are not too difficult to find if you're patient. Alternatively you could spend silly money on Fleabay.

Model B and 800XL do come up locally, Electrons less so.

jannievanzyl

Telecoms expert
Yeah, I have a checklist to work through. I will likely replace those rizla caps first lol
A few Rifas in there, absolutely waiting to release the magic smoke.

If you look closely (red arrows) you'll see cracks in them. Once they crack like this, moisture creeps in and when you power them on, they expand rapidly and go boom with a lot of smelly and sticky smoke.

But then, no workshop should *NOT* smell like old Rifas :)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-03-23 222705.png
    Screenshot 2021-03-23 222705.png
    305.1 KB · Views: 33

Everyones-a-Wally

Honorary Master
My long weekend project ...

Something I wanted to try for a while ... I'm using an Arduino to load a ROM file from an SD card into an 8k static ram chip that the Atari 2600 then reads as if it is a normal EPROM.

Dude, that's epic. Congrats!
*in your mother's best voice* Open your curtains and go play outside, the sun is shining!!!

genetic

Honorary Master
A few Rifas in there, absolutely waiting to release the magic smoke.

If you look closely (red arrows) you'll see cracks in them. Once they crack like this, moisture creeps in and when you power them on, they expand rapidly and go boom with a lot of smelly and sticky smoke.

But then, no workshop should *NOT* smell like old Rifas :)

The mains input rifa filter cap in my Apple 2's power supply went out with a massive bang, and released the magic smoke a year or so ago.

IMG_20200428_153308.jpg

The only component to fail in 42 years, and easily replaced.

ponder

Honorary Master
@jannievanzyl

My Apple II circa 1979.

I got an apple iie clone called an Apcon II in 1986 after my uncle passed away, he worked for saa and brought it in from Taiwan. It came in a pc style case with a separate keyboard, dual teac slimline floppies, 80-column display card, Z80 processor card for cp/m, a colour monitor (ntsc), star dot matrix printer, joystic, lots of books, discs etc. The pc/monitor ran off a stepdown 230/120V transformer. Think my aunt sold it for R1500.

As cool as it was I still longed for a c64.

Sold it in early '89 for way more than it cost and got a used amiga 500 with extra stiffy drive & Philips CM8833 rgb monitor from a guy on the bluff that needed a ibm clone for his unisa comp sci studies. Was happy as a pig in schit.

jannievanzyl

Telecoms expert
The mains input rifa filter cap in my Apple 2's power supply went out with a massive bang, and released the magic smoke a year or so ago.

The only component to fail in 42 years, and easily replaced.
That is a really pristine Europlus you have there, suitably jealous! You must please send me your address and the times you're not at home, please. :)

On the PSU; there are more than one Rifa in there typically, a big .47uF and a smaller 0.1uF, if I recall correctly.

Did you get both of them?

jannievanzyl

Telecoms expert
Hopefully no damage to other components!
These Rifa caps were mains filters, to suppress noise going back into the mains from the computer side. They were designed to fail open circuit so when they blow (and they will after so many years), they tend to give your more of a fright than anything else, but normally the computer will happily work without them.

I always replace them in any case, just to keep the system as original as possible. Got a bucket full of old Rifas I 've taken out over the years, including a bunch of these big ones from the Apple IIs. At the next vintage computing get together at my place, I want to wire them across the mains and video them going up in smoke. :)

jannievanzyl

Telecoms expert
I got an apple iie clone called an Apcon II in 1986 after my uncle passed away, he worked for saa and brought it in from Taiwan. It came in a pc style case with a separate keyboard, dual teac slimline floppies, 80-column display card, Z80 processor card for cp/m, a colour monitor (ntsc), star dot matrix printer, joystic, lots of books, discs etc. The pc/monitor ran off a stepdown 230/120V transformer. Think my aunt sold it for R1500.

As cool as it was I still longed for a c64.

Sold it in early '89 for way more than it cost and got a used amiga 500 with extra stiffy drive & Philips CM8833 rgb monitor from a guy on the bluff that needed a ibm clone for his unisa comp sci studies. Was happy as a pig in schit.
Yeah, two very different machines; one aimed at business (the Apple clone) and the other for graphics, but likely used 99% for gaming, right? :)

Today, the Amiga 500 will be more sought after, for sure. And that 8833 monitor is extremely sought after. :)

ponder

Honorary Master
Yeah, two very different machines; one aimed at business (the Apple clone) and the other for graphics, but likely used 99% for gaming, right? :)

Yes, sound & graphics was much better. Only minus was the slow serial interface for the disk drive on the c64.