Virgin Mobile to reimburse BlackBerry users

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Kudos to Virgin. I wonder if it will be the whole subscription for the month or if they will be doing it on a pro rata rate?

What I do not agree with is the lady from the CPA! I am for consumer rights...but what she is suggesting is just plain madness! It was a outage that was on RIM's side. To say that people can now take their devices back and ask for a refund due to a temp outage is silly I think.

rpm

Admin
Staff member
Kudos to Virgin. I wonder if it will be the whole subscription for the month or if they will be doing it on a pro rata rate?
Virgin Mobile explained that the refund will be a pro-rata reimbursement calculated according to the number of days the service is interrupted.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Virgin Mobile explained that the refund will be a pro-rata reimbursement calculated according to the number of days the service is interrupted.

So what ....about R6 :D

With regards to the CPA, I think that would be an abuse of the act, it was an outage for heavens sake.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender

Thought as much and it makes sense.

cozinsky

Expert Member

If you bother to properly read the article BEFORE posting comments, you would know that it is of course pro rata. Or did you really expect Virgin to reimburse you for the whole month? Use common sense please.

Shake&Bake

Party Liaison
Good PR and shouldn't cost them too much as they must have the smallest piece of the subscription base pie in South Africa.

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
Why should local mobile networks have to refund customers when they did nothing wrong? This is highly unfair. RIM should reimburse the Mobile networks first.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
If you bother to properly read the article BEFORE posting comments, you would know that it is of course pro rata. Or did you really expect Virgin to reimburse you for the whole month? Use common sense please.

Three things.

1. I missed that part....not sure how but I did and I appologise for that.
2. I am not a Virgin Mobile client and therefore it does not affect me personaly.
3. I suggest you save that pent up anger for the bedroom....where it belongs.

ciao!

Last edited:

Toitjie

Expert Member
haha, see how they clearly state which ACTS in the CPA it is under...

To be honest, I think what Virgin is trying to do here, is not just reimburse its customers, but also get other customers to fight their current Cellular Providers (eg, Vodacom, mtc, 8ta, cell c), hoping that someone will fight so much and take money from them...

Sherbang

Executive Member

What I do not agree with is the lady from the CPA! I am for consumer rights...but what she is suggesting is just plain madness! It was a outage that was on RIM's side. To say that people can now take their devices back and ask for a refund due to a temp outage is silly I think.

It's not the lady from the CPA you disagree with, surely, it's sections 55, 56 and 61 of the Consumer Protection Act - specifically section 61 which says everyone who was involved in the value chain can be held liable.

While the outage was on RIM's side, my agreement is with Vodacom (or whoever), not RIM. I pay Vodacom monthly, not RIM.
If I buy something defective from a shop, the shop must refund me, not send me to the manufacturer of the item for a refund.

BBSA

Honorary Master
Why should local mobile networks have to refund customers when they did nothing wrong? This is highly unfair. RIM should reimburse the Mobile networks first.

The contract is between the local mobile networks and the customers. The mobile networks must ask for compensation from RIM.

Electron1

Expert Member
Well my feeling is that Vodacom don't have to reimburse me all of R6.00 (or whatever it works out to), because they took the effort to update me by SMS twice, and were updating via twitter - that is more than the other local operators seem to have done. Well done Vodacom!

Edit: Just got a third SMS from Vodacom now "Latest info from RIM is that Blackberry services are largely restored, but customers can expect delays as the message backlog clears". Seems like old news, but nevertheless I appreciate the effort.

Now I would like to see them keep it up, and post updates timeously if there are issues on their network. Easy to do when it is not your own infrastructure, not so easy to do when it is.

Edit: I see there was no Twitter update about the Vodacom prepaid accounting issue affecting about 200 000 customers yesterday....http://www.iol.co.za/the-star/vodacom-adds-to-smartphone-meltdown-1.1156145

Last edited:

garrethk

And how do you expect them to get the money to the customer. The operator takes the money from the customer, they need to pay back. The Operator then needs to claim the money back from RIM.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
It's not the lady from the CPA you disagree with, surely, it's sections 55, 56 and 61 of the Consumer Protection Act - specifically section 61 which says everyone who was involved in the value chain can be held liable.

While the outage was on RIM's side, my agreement is with Vodacom (or whoever), not RIM. I pay Vodacom monthly, not RIM.
If I buy something defective from a shop, the shop must refund me, not send me to the manufacturer of the item for a refund.

I agree with the pro rata refund. That is why I said kudos to Virgin. What I do not agree with is her saying that people can take back their handsets to the shops and demand a refund. To me...that is stretching it and being rediculous about it. Like I said...I am all for consumer rights...but you have to have a balance also. This is taking it way overboard.