Vodacom activates WiFi calling for iPhone?

whatwhat

Executive Member
Some feedback - I just spent about two weeks on and off trying to get VoWIFI on Vodacom working. Turns out, after about 8 calls to support, and multiple escalations, VoWIFI still does not work on Vodacom if roaming is enabled. I was told that there is a workaround, and that the workaround would be applied to my account - still nothing, and customer care won't even respond anymore. Gave up and got a Cell C prepaid sim - VoWIFI works perfectly(!)
You have a prepaid or contract number?

smc

They are working on a fix but no timelines on the fix. So probably a lot of months.
Astonishing. :mad:

Not just that with Vodacom's budget, they don't just fix the problem, but that they still advertise VoWIFi as a feature without any small print warning of the problem, and none of the support staff even know there's a problem.

smc

FYI, VoWIFI on Vodacom now works, at least for me, even though I'm on prepaid and have international roaming activated. It appears that Vodacom resolved whatever the previous problem was with that configuration sometime in early November.

The slightly odd thing is that "VoWIFI" doesn't show on my iPhone until there isn't a cellular signal anymore, which is the opposite of how the same phone handles Cell C. With Cell C, VoWIFI appears whenever VoWIFI is available, even if there is a cellular signal.

I'm not sure what changed, but big thanks to Vodacom. This makes my life just that little bit easier(!) Now could you also sort out proper eSIM support??????????

whatwhat

Executive Member
FYI, VoWIFI on Vodacom now works, at least for me, even though I'm on prepaid and have international roaming activated. It appears that Vodacom resolved whatever the previous problem was with that configuration sometime in early November.

The slightly odd thing is that "VoWIFI" doesn't show on my iPhone until there isn't a cellular signal anymore, which is the opposite of how the same phone handles Cell C. With Cell C, VoWIFI appears whenever VoWIFI is available, even if there is a cellular signal.

I'm not sure what changed, but big thanks to Vodacom. This makes my life just that little bit easier(!) Now could you also sort out proper eSIM support??????????
Can you send a sms to an international number while only on vowifi? I.e airplane mode with just WiFi on.

That was something that didn’t work in the past.

smc

Can you send a sms to an international number while only on vowifi? I.e airplane mode with just WiFi on.

That was something that didn’t work in the past.
Sadly, no, that does not seem to work