Vodacom - Being unhelpful during the lockdown

rkcj

Due to the Coronavirus lockdown my wife and I have to work from home. As a consequence our data usage has significantly increased. My current cellular data package is 50GB/30GB, and I expect to need in excess of 200GB per month for April and May. I can’t top up 20GB at a time @R699 per bundle, as that will be insanely expensive.

I spoke to their call centre and the options to me were upgrade my package to a larger package, but that will only come into affect on 1st May (not helpful), and there will be a penalty when I want to downgrade back to 50/30. Or, I can start a new contract immediately, but there will be a penalty to cancel my existing contract, and there will be another penalty when I downgrade from the larger plan back to my preferred 50GB/30GB plan.

I spoke to a "Manager" at Vodacom, and asked if there was anything that could be done. All I was asking were for the penalties to be waived, was happy to upgrade to or start a new 300GB package at R999 per month, I would wait the obligatory 3 month wait period before making a change to my contract, and then downgrade back to my 50GB/30GB package. The only response I got was that this is how the contracts are written, and the T&C's must be adhered to. I asked if he could motivate to more senior management, he said he would. Needless to say I have not heard a thing from him.

Managed to get hold of a Vodacom rep on Facebook messenger, they were more focused on migrating me to fibre, they lost interest pretty quickly when they found I was not in a fibre area, and have not heard anything back since.

In light of fibre providers upgrading line speeds for free, I think its bad form for Vodacom to not offer anything to their customers during this national disaster. I'm not asking for anything free, just to offer a bit of flexibility in how they implement their T&C's.

rick9k

go get a telkom prepaid sim( if we can ) load 200+200 gb for R1050 I think and cotinue.

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
Apparently one can get a RAIN SIM in The current Cosmopolitan - R480.00 a month uncapped, but then you need to be in a RAIN coverage area.

rkcj

Thanks for the advice everyone. The complicating factor is I'm in a rural area with limited coverage.

I have an external omni directional cellular antenna which really helped with my Vodacom strength. I think I will try and get a Cell C SIM to see if I can get decent speeds. R500 for 50GB is way more manageable.

ponder

Honorary Master
This get rain sim uncapped.
There's no rain coverage in his area, telkom only has 2/3g coverage. He seems to be just outside cellc fixed 4g coverage but has an antenna so might get lucky with cellc

rkcj

Quite right @ponder. I actually have a RAIN sim for when I am in town, don't have the coverage out here though.

The good news is that the Cell C card seems to work, with good enough speeds for what we require.

@impulse0157 Is that 100GB + 100GB for R449? I was looking at the 300GB + 300GB package for R999

Thanks for everyone's input.

impulse0157

Quite right @ponder. I actually have a RAIN sim for when I am in town, don't have the coverage out here though.

The good news is that the Cell C card seems to work, with good enough speeds for what we require.

@impulse0157 Is that 100GB + 100GB for R449? I was looking at the 300GB + 300GB package for R999

Thanks for everyone's input.
Hey bud no its 200gb anytime.it falls under vodacom business but they had no issues when i applied for home use. average speeds around 26mbs in centurion by me

i thought your were paying R999 for just 300gb anytime thats why i was a little shocked.did not realize its 300gb +300gb

rkcj

Hey bud no its 200gb anytime.it falls under vodacom business but they had no issues when i applied for home use. average speeds around 26mbs in centurion by me

i thought your were paying R999 for just 300gb anytime thats why i was a little shocked.did not realize its 300gb +300gb
You got a very good deal to what's currently on offer, haven't seen anything like that.

I'm currently on 50GB anytime/30GB nightime plan for R299pm, I was wanting to temporarily move to their 300GB anytime/300GB nighttime plan; so it is R999 for 300GB anytime

However, It's going to be easier for me to manage it 50GB at a time with Cell C, and a lot cheaper to what was on offer from Vodacom.

impulse0157

You got a very good deal to what's currently on offer, haven't seen anything like that.

I'm currently on 50GB anytime/30GB nightime plan for R299pm, I was wanting to temporarily move to their 300GB anytime/300GB nighttime plan; so it is R999 for 300GB anytime

However, It's going to be easier for me to manage it 50GB at a time with Cell C, and a lot cheaper to what was on offer from Vodacom.
they dont often advertise Vodacom business contracts..when i was in vodacom in centurion...there was no advertising at all. I was about to sign a more expensive one then i started to go through their pamphlet and found the vodacom business contracts. You could maybe just ask them.as far as i know it was no special or anything..Its just on the business side of vodacom

I Signed up in February this year

rkcj

they dont often advertise Vodacom business contracts..when i was in vodacom in centurion...there was no advertising at all. I was about to sign a more expensive one then i started to go through their pamphlet and found the vodacom business contracts. You could maybe just ask them.as far as i know it was no special or anything..Its just on the business side of vodacom

I Signed up in February this year
Ah, thanks, make sense.

Will keep that in mind when I'm next looking to upgrade/get a new data contract.