VODACOM/HOMEMARK SCAM

Judicator

VODACOM/HOMEMARK has a scam going:

This is actually quite a long story, but I'm going to summarise it.

About 3 weeks ago I received a phone call from Vodacom (it was a legit call since they gave me my ID number and knew which company I'm working for). The guy told me that since I have been a Vodacom customer for such a long time (it's been 10 years), they are giving me:

FREE HANDSET
120 off-peak minutes and
R135 worth of airtime per month,
for 24-months, absolutely FREE
+ Once off ~R800 and something (I can't remember the exact amount) Homemark voucher

I asked him if there are any extra costs involved, anything, he assured me that it was because I'm such a loyal and long-time customer, and that it is free of charge.

Well, 2 weeks later, my mother phoned me (my account is registered on my home address since 10 years ago I was still living there) and told me I got a package from Vodacom. Great! I got the package, opened it, and I actually got the phone! The receipt with the package listed all the contents, with a total, INC VAT, of R0.00.

I NEVER used it because I have a phone and want to sell this phone. It's a Nokia E5xxx (not sure, it's at my flat). I couldn't even check the sim card that came with it because I first have to register it with/on RICA.

Two Days ago I found an odd debit order on my bank statement from Vodacom. I went to the Vodashop yesterday - I now have a weekender contract for 24months, that costs me R135 per month. They told me that I have to contact Homemark if I want resolve the problem.

Seriously, this is FRAUD. I NEVER accepted the contract, I NEVER signed anything. I made sure that it was free with no strings attached. I don't even want the phone, it was a GIFT?!

Anyone reading this, DON'T accept anything Vodacom/Homemark posts you, return it ONCE.

Daylight robbery!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

R13...

Honorary Master
Erm...it should have been obvious he's selling you a contract?

If you heard him say 'the 24 month contract is free' then demand the recording & prove it. But it's likely he only said the phone & voucher were free.

Judicator

As I said, he told me that there are no extra charges. He said that I would receive an additional R135pm, and an additional 120 off-peak minutes. He made me understand that these would be additional on my current contract. There was no mentioning of a new contract!

Where can one acquire a recording?

R13...

Honorary Master
As I said, he told me that there are no extra charges. He said that I would receive an additional R135pm, and an additional 120 off-peak minutes. He made me understand that these would be additional on my current contract. There was no mentioning of a new contract!

Where can one acquire a recording?
The service provider has to record it to prove you agreed to the contract!

Phone them and tell them you never agreed to a new contract, they must then prove you did if they disagree.

Lino

I am back
You thought you would be getting all this truly for "free?"

Seriously?

Judicator

You thought you would be getting all this truly for "free?"

Seriously?
Well I have been a customer who spends >R300 per month for 10 years. I was VERY sceptical but the guy ASSURED me it was free. Is it impossible to receive a gift from a company your support 10 years? Would you say NO to R135pm extra airtime, if you are assured that it is free of charge?

TJ99

Honorary Master
Yes, better get that recording.

Seriously, have you ever dealt with Vodacom before?? They would never give you anything for free, even if you were a lifelong customer and spent R10 000 a month on them, and your life depended on it. They're not in the "maintaining good customer relations" business.

Also, where are you living now then? A box? A cave?

Also also: That's why they're called telemarketers, not telesantaclauses :D

Last edited:

Gambit

Expert Member
If it is too good to be true, it always is. I get at least 1 call a week with someone congratulating me on being selected for a free phone. I get this from cellc, virgin, elite mobile ... and it is a pain in the ass.

R13...

Honorary Master
If it is too good to be true, it always is. I get at least 1 call a week with someone congratulating me on being selected for a free phone. I get this from cellc, virgin, elite mobile ... and it is a pain in the ass.
Yes they always always say they have a free phone for you... I'm sure I got a call where I too was offered something for free because I had been a valued customer. Upon interrogation it turned out the offer was more expensive than what I could get in the open market.

ShaunR

Did nobody ever teach you NOT to buy something over the phone. Did you honestly think that someone is going to give you a phone and a voucher for free. Come on common sense will tell you that you were entering a contract. Just by the way its not a scam by Vodacom, homemark is a dealer who sells Vodacom contracts.

Judicator

Did nobody ever teach you NOT to buy something over the phone. Did you honestly think that someone is going to give you a phone and a voucher for free. Come on common sense will tell you that you were entering a contract. Just by the way its not a scam by Vodacom, homemark is a dealer who sells Vodacom contracts.
I wish you could hear the recording. The guy got pissed at me because I was very sceptical.

You're absolutely right. Vodacom can't cancel the deal, I have to contact Homemark

Don't I love admin, can't think of anything better to do.

Judicator

PS the guy claimed to be from Vodacom. "We at Vodacom are giving you this....etc etc....for being a valued customer for 10years."

That's why I assumed it's from Vodacom.

Lino

I am back
You got a free phone with monthly airtime for 24 months? Plus once off R800 cost as well? You didn't see the signs?

*Eish I can't believe*

Rule of thumb nothing in life is free

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
Please let us know how this goes. Open a case of fraud against VodaCom and homemark.

Why cant VodaCom terminate the contract? Sounds like they are avoiding blame to me.

But please open a case of fraud against homemark. They need to learn.

Judicator

Please let us know how this goes. Open a case of fraud against VodaCom and homemark.

Why cant VodaCom terminate the contract? Sounds like they are avoiding blame to me.

But please open a case of fraud against homemark. They need to learn.
Will do man

Finally someone helping me solve this instead of telling me that I made a mistake

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
I guess if VodaCom, um, subcontracts to HomeMark, then it would make sense for VodaCom to not be able to terminate it.

I mean, imagine if you signed up with Nashua Mobile, then 6 months later decided you didnt like it and wanted to cancel it. VodaCom would not be able to do that without Nashua Mobile's permission, which makes sense.

But HomeMark seems to have done a dirty here. I would demand a recording of the conversation and request that they immediately A) cancel your contract and reimburse any fees charged or taken, B) tell you where they obtained your details from (they have to by law), C) remove your details from any and all marketing databases they may have or at least mark you as someone they cannot call.

While you are doing this, dont sign anything that will limit your rights to pursue this matter in court. Well, you can if you want to. It might make your life easier to just let them fix the mistake but not get investigated by the police, but perhaps it would benefit society for them to get investigated by this. It may end up that the case gets thrown out of court, but you know what companies hate more than anything else - bad publicity. Send it to a newspaper, along with the recording if you can get it, and watch them squirm.

The only concerning this about this, from VodaCom's side, is that they allowed confidential details that you entrusted with VodaCom to be used by HomeMark to bill you. I mean, you gave your bank details to VodaCom, but personally I dont feel VodaCom was right in allowing HomeMark to use them. Ideally, HomeMark should bill you themselves (I'm not sure if Nashua Mobile bills people directly?). This oversight allowed HomeMark to get money out of you - if you didnt already have a VodaCom contract, the HomeMark rep would have needed to awkwardly ask you for your bank details. That would have set the alarm bells ringing.

Also, hello peter this. Its another form of bad publicity which corporations hate. I dont think its important to contact them first before hello petering, but if you want to open a case with the police perhaps it might be a good idea to at least talk with HomeMark first. If they are unwilling to do anything, I'm sure the police will force the recording out of them.

Lounger

Expert Member
I can well believe this. I had a similar offer from a Cell-C salesman in a shopping mall. He kept saying "I want to give you a free phone". Of course I kept saying thanks, give it to me. He just wouldn't admit it was a contract until forced to.

Judicator

I guess if VodaCom, um, subcontracts to HomeMark, then it would make sense for VodaCom to not be able to terminate it.

I mean, imagine if you signed up with Nashua Mobile, then 6 months later decided you didnt like it and wanted to cancel it. VodaCom would not be able to do that without Nashua Mobile's permission, which makes sense.

But HomeMark seems to have done a dirty here. I would demand a recording of the conversation and request that they immediately A) cancel your contract and reimburse any fees charged or taken, B) tell you where they obtained your details from (they have to by law), C) remove your details from any and all marketing databases they may have or at least mark you as someone they cannot call.

While you are doing this, dont sign anything that will limit your rights to pursue this matter in court. Well, you can if you want to. It might make your life easier to just let them fix the mistake but not get investigated by the police, but perhaps it would benefit society for them to get investigated by this. It may end up that the case gets thrown out of court, but you know what companies hate more than anything else - bad publicity. Send it to a newspaper, along with the recording if you can get it, and watch them squirm.

The only concerning this about this, from VodaCom's side, is that they allowed confidential details that you entrusted with VodaCom to be used by HomeMark to bill you. I mean, you gave your bank details to VodaCom, but personally I dont feel VodaCom was right in allowing HomeMark to use them. Ideally, HomeMark should bill you themselves (I'm not sure if Nashua Mobile bills people directly?). This oversight allowed HomeMark to get money out of you - if you didnt already have a VodaCom contract, the HomeMark rep would have needed to awkwardly ask you for your bank details. That would have set the alarm bells ringing.

Also, hello peter this. Its another form of bad publicity which corporations hate. I dont think its important to contact them first before hello petering, but if you want to open a case with the police perhaps it might be a good idea to at least talk with HomeMark first. If they are unwilling to do anything, I'm sure the police will force the recording out of them.
They listened to the recording and agree that it is unclear, actually it's obvious that I didn't concent, but point is I'm getting my money back and the contract is cancelled. Should've billed them for my time as well.

It's not Homemart, but AFRIZON Telecommunications. Still pretty pissed at Vodacom for giving them my details.

Cheers