Vodacom introduces roaming tariff information SMS

SaiyanZ

Executive Member
With the amount of data Vodacom offers on their cellphone packages, those "data roaming tips" should be changed to just "data tips". People end up with huge bills whether they're roaming in another country or just using data in SA.

Sodan

Expert Member
Data Roaming Tips
Don't.

Voice Roaming Tips
Don't.

There, much simpler.

Electron1

Expert Member
At least they are trying to warn their customers about higher rates. For those that are unaware (how many posts have there been about roaming on MyBB?), maybe this will help?
Edit: Sodan has the best advice: Don't !

FNfal

Executive Member
To scared to use roaming overseas after receiving a bill for one SMS R36 and an incoming call cant remember the price . i just buy a local sim and use WiFi Skype in MacDonald or Starbucks for calls back home . Skype works so well on my galaxy S2

Johand

Expert Member
Hear hear! Buy a local SIM, damnit!

Not an option in some countries. South Africa is really good and really cheap to get prepaid SIMs. In Japan for example it is impossible unless you have an Alien Registration Card.

Roaming is awful on all operators, but Vodacom is relatively the best. The nicest option is their SMS only roaming option. You can buy a Vodacom prepaid SIM card, put it into SMS roamer mode and pay very little to send and receive SMS.

So I would recommend:
1) If you need data look at prepaid options, but most likely device rental would be the cheapest and easiest in a lot of countries.
2) For SMS only - go the Vodacom SMS-only prepaid SIM route.
3) For voice - get a OneSim / WorldSIM / GoSIM from your nearest travel agent.

rory

Best option is to use a prepaid vodacom sim activated for sms roaming. (to receive sms's)
Then get a kindle 3g the keypad version. (touch version only allows access to amazon and wikipedia). The keypad version allows global 3g for free and includes an experimental browser that works on gmail mobile site and www.fsms.co.za (for sending free sms back home) amongst other mobile websites.
Then if one can get a cheap local prepaid sim card in the country being visited this is a plus otherwise look for open/free wifi.

Johand

Expert Member
I've found this site quite useful before:

http://prepaidwithdata.wikia.com/wiki/Japan

(Interesting to see the Japan options with reference to Johand's post).

Yes I did investigate B-Mobile, but I did not mention it because it is not really a cheap solution either. You pay for the time spent on the internet. R3500 is a lot for 150 hours of internet use. And to be frank in my experience Japan's 3G networks are crawling compared to ours.

For voice I would just use a GoSIM from now on - I used it during my time in Japan. It is super cheap and you get to use it in more than one country (even SA).

And yes the Kindle is quite handy :) I do think that Amazon limits 3G roaming use on the new Kindles though.

rory

Nice initiative from Vodacom.
At the risk of sounding a bit negative I guess they are a bit worried about the CPA impact of someone not realising the cost of roaming.
In the work I do if we do not inform clients of the risks we get sued.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Data Roaming Tips
Use wifi
[-]If a customer uses a smartphone or a tablet, they must ensure that only essential data related activities on their device are enabled to avoid using large volumes of data. Receiving email, browsing the web, using instant messaging services and other applications should only be activated when necessary to avoid using large volumes of data and accumulating a high bill.
It is also important to note that using a handset to check email, browse the web, use instant messaging or other applications, is not free when roaming regardless of whether these are available for free in South Africa; and will be billed at the applicable Vodafone world rate for data roaming.
Accessing Vodafone Live! is also not free when roaming as it is in South Africa and will also be billed at the applicable Vodafone World rate for data roaming.
Customers should set up their email client to download the header of new emails only. Once they receive the headers of new emails, they can then manually select which emails should be downloaded in full to prevent large downloads. Try to avoid downloading emails with large attachments to prevent high bills.
Streaming video, person to person file sharing or any other type of file download is extremely data intensive and can result in extremely high bills.
When using data roaming on the laptop abroad, customers must remember to disable all automatic download activity which happens in the background, like operating system updates or software/app updates.
Customers should disable their smartphone or tablet from performing automatic app refreshes or automatic software updates when abroad to prevent large data downloads.
When using data roaming, where possible customers must always roam on selected partner networks to qualify for the Super Saver data rate which is lower than the standard data roaming rates in a specific country. Devices should be manually set to only roam on networks which qualify for the Super Saver data rate.
If customers do not want to use data roaming at all, they must turn Data Roaming off on their device: select ‘Settings’ > ‘General’ > ‘Network’ > ‘Data Roaming’ or consult your device manual for more information.[/-]

psc

Sodan;7437339[B said:
Voice Roaming Tips[/B]
Don't.

Not always - if you get a Vodafone passport *and* there is a roaming agreement you pay ZA - domestic rates for your call (incoming - free/outgoing) plus a call setup fee (was R 17.50) well worth it rather than notifying your whole address book of a new temporary number.

Last edited:
K

kingrob

Not always - if you get a Vodafone passport *and* there is a roaming agreement you pay ZA - domestic rates for your call (incoming - free/outgoing) plus a call setup fee (was R 17.50) well worth it rather than notifying your whole address book of a new temporary number.

+1

SaiyanZ

Executive Member

Or get a local data sim and just use Skype. A 4 hour call to the UK last night cost me about 50MB of data. Basically free.