Vodacom is losing grip?

dr.grimm

Hi fellow humans,

quick question - Vodacom is transforming in a rubbish company (I'm on Vodacom Business)??

Data speeds 4G/ 3G (Stellenbosch to kleinmond - mostly full bars) -+ 4Mpbs IF I can pull data - feels like most of the time I'm struggling to consume 1Gig of data on my phone and ipad (hotspot iPhone 6s plus and iPhone 8 - two lines on vodacom)

Call quality is uhmm okayish - I have -+ 5 to 8 drop calls a week with full bars) but most of the time I cancel call and call back due to poor line (90% people I call is Vodacom and landlines)

I have MTN Business data on B618 router for work (Stellies) and home (Kleinmond) 50Mbps down and up - bit slower in stellies -+ 30Mbps have had it for 6 months now with ZERO throughput issues.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
The voice quality in Gauteng has certainly declined, data network is still fine here though, for me at least.

sts_python_dev

Apps work as they should.
I was referring to the download speed, apps still works fine with other service providers too, it's the download speed that's being a problem.
For instance with Telkom right now, downloading just 1GB is taking 7hrs+

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Whatsapps videos/status videos and browsing and streaming youtube seems fine, I don't really download anything via my phone.

Mr Smooth

My personal phone is with MTN, no issues at all with call quality or using data. Hardly ever experience dropped calls either.

The work standby phone is with Vodacom and I've always had issues with call and data quality. Don't even get me started on the speeds.
It's looking grim for Vodacom :unsure:

dr.grimm

My personal phone is with MTN, no issues at all with call quality or using data. Hardly ever experience dropped calls either.

The work standby phone is with Vodacom and I've always had issues with call and data quality. Don't even get me started on the speeds.
Same here and I need to choose a new provider for my work phone...Vodacom is looking grim.

Solitude

Executive Member
Vodacom fibre is horrible. I don't use Vodacom for my cellphone though.

I get really bad speeds on Vodacom fibre however and their support is non-existent. They basically have a call center that you phone where they will tell you to send them a screenshot of a speed test. So then you do that multiple days a week for months and they won't contact you.

Foxhound5366

Executive Member
Download speeds now might be affected by the cable breaks in Africa. It happened like a week ago and is screwing up all kinds of things. ISPs are using slower international links now, as I understand it.

Dups!

I use both networks, actually, three with Cell C being the back up.

My experiences thus far are that Vodacom has gone down in quality in all aspects- call quality has become horrible, don't get me started with data speeds. I remember in 2015 when I used to marvel at the speeds I was getting with Vodacom. Today, it is beyond bad.

MTN, on the other hand, is excellent. It is like a role reversal, except MTN was not as bad as Vodacom but was not quite as good.

gottagoon

Expert Member
It depends where you are. Here where I am now Vodacom rocks.
When I was in Gordons Bay 2007 MTN had me pulling my hair out. Terrible data speeds :(

sts_python_dev

When I was in Gordons Bay 2007 MTN had me pulling my hair out. Terrible data speeds :(
I guess that has to be the case, because there are people who saying that Vodacom is being excellent in spite of the actual undersea cable issue.
But I didn't get the same result thought!

dr.grimm

My issue with Vodacom has been ongoing since last year. To this day I'm still waiting on call backs on three reference numbers (which I chucked already). My area of movement is --> Stellies, Strand, Gordons, Pringle bay, Oudtshoorn - all these areas I have horrible vodacom performance, but since start of this month 2020 it has been overwhelming. I am struggling to consume 1 gig of data on my iPhone's via Vodacom.

ps.. I'm Vodacom business 2x lines

dr.grimm

I had huge issues in Pringle bay / Betty bay area - Vodacom refused to send someone after few call to there call center. I then went on to call MTN, explained them the issues I have with vodacom, and asked them what can I expect from them as ISP - we had a chat and they suggested a prepaid sim with data (speeds was DSL avg by the time of testing).

The Next week MTN called me back and said they had a look and I should check my connection and coverage again (I only had a prepaid sim that MTN gave me for testing from eikestand mall)

speed and coverage improved and I got speeds of 30 Mbps - 70 Mbps which lead to me getting MTNBusiness LTE deal of 150Gig anytime data. Zero issues since. I chow all my data every month.

This is the action I expected from Vodacom business.

dr.grimm

you should come check their speeds now. Gordon's Bay Checkers 55Mbps avg (I test with testmy.net and iPhone 6s as modem)

Louis72

I use both networks, actually, three with Cell C being the back up.

My experiences thus far are that Vodacom has gone down in quality in all aspects- call quality has become horrible, don't get me started with data speeds. I remember in 2015 when I used to marvel at the speeds I was getting with Vodacom. Today, it is beyond bad.

MTN, on the other hand, is excellent. It is like a role reversal, except MTN was not as bad as Vodacom but was not quite as good.
I can really ditto this. VC has gone to the dogs in terms of network quality and service. They used to be so good from 2004-2017 and it started going downhill. It seems the best years where 2010-2014.

Mr Smooth

I find Vodacom has poor speeds when compared to MTN in the same areas.
Maybe Vodacom has be stagnating while MTN has been spending millions on their network