Vodacom LTE tested

abandonallhope

Expert Member
As for the pricing, VC know south africans will pay preposterous rates for a premium service, so they are not going to make it cheaper any time soon.

The fastest residential fixed line available from telkom runs at 3 - 3.5 mbps and uploads at 0.4mbps. It is getting more and more laughable every day, when compared to wireless options available from Cellphone SP's.

Only in Africa. Only in Africa.

Last edited:

latro

The fastest residential fixed line available from telkom runs at 3 - 3.5 mbps and uploads at 0.4mbps. It is getting more and more laughable every day, when compared to wireless options available from Cellphone SP's.
You sure about that?

Keegan

Expert Member
Have you guys see the Cell C 4G - LTE ready ad?
Pretty cool

[video=youtube;TM8ytkXnkAo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TM8ytkXnkAo[/video]

Haldex

Expert Member
Have you guys see the Cell C 4G - LTE ready ad?
Pretty cool

[video=youtube;TM8ytkXnkAo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TM8ytkXnkAo[/video]
Very clever ad.
I like how they went 2G, 3G the HSPA LTE ready. 4G would have went down better, but oh well.

Haldex

Expert Member
Ive tested my LTE in Woodmead area, I hit 60Mb/s constantly, love it!!:love:

Madhawk

Honorary Master
LTE is not about speeds, it's about the "User Experience".

The more speed/capacity a base tower has, the more people can connect to that tower and not feel throttled while browsing or downloading.

The only way you'll get those DL speeds is if you are the only one using that base tower.

I'm gald that Cell C is also joining the LTE brigade by the end of the year.

Keegan

Expert Member
Very clever ad.
I like how they went 2G, 3G the HSPA LTE ready. 4G would have went down better, but oh well.
Yup, excellent.
Sorry, Yes I meant to say HSPA - LTE Ready, Not 4G - LTE ready my bad.

Valerion

Expert Member
I have measured 5Mbps on my line before, although I haven't done a complete speed test yet. Officially it syncs at 6. Of course, my ISP limits it to 4Mpbs, but that's not Telkom's fault.

qwertydudeza

Keep an eye and when you run out, load a bundle or go for advanced contract and pay low OOB.

OOB argument is about discipline and easily manageable...

Shardie

All this speed is very good and exciting.... but what about the ripoff prices in South Africa. Lets hope its not going to be a case of the HAVES and HAVE NOTS.

bender-bending-Rodriguez

Remember, you probably won't be able to download stuff @ 60Mbit/s the whole time either.... Chances are you'll get about 10Mbit/s, per download. Many data center's networks won't allow you to download at 60Mbit/s due to the amount of connections to the DC.
BUT, this means watching video's or online will be ultra fast.

Please advise on what Deckert is saying, he is right in saying that bandwidth pricing should dramatically drop,
due to your bandwidth that is being chowed at such a speed. you should also take into account his other
remarks about latency getting higher as you move further away from a tower which means that as fast as you say streaming will
be, it will definitely slow due to higher latency

regards bender

abandonallhope

Expert Member
I have measured 5Mbps on my line before, although I haven't done a complete speed test yet. Officially it syncs at 6. Of course, my ISP limits it to 4Mpbs, but that's not Telkom's fault.
You're part of the tiny minority dude, most of us can only get 4mbps ADSL lines which usually download at around 400 - 420KB/sec.

Nephew_

Vodacon is using your R2 OOB do sponsor the LTE roll-out ;) why would they drop prices now?

Tick

The fastest residential fixed line available from telkom runs at 3 - 3.5 mbps and uploads at 0.4mbps.
Maybe I'm one of a lucky few or something, but (touch wood, I don't want to jinx it) I regularly manage 10Mbps (including full consistent downloads at up to about 950KB/s) on my Telkom DSL line (with Afrihost as ISP). Upload speeds are a bit painful at 0.5Mbps. (Note, single downloads often only reach about 3 to 5 Mbps but I can often hit 10 with parallel downloads, and also on reasonably popular torrents I easily hit over 9Mbps.)

Last edited: