Vodacom: NO SERVICE

macboer

On my way to running errands this afternoon and the bloody thing went off air again - and of course I missed another very important call.

I just got back from CNA where I bought an MTN pre-paid sim. Now I have to figure out how to port from the devil to the demon. Anybody know how? The "help" at CNA wasn't very helpful...

Why did you choose MTN??:confused:

Pixual

Expert Member
Spur of the moment thing to buy a 0.05c starter pack, but having been with them before I have decided that it's probably not going to be any better.

I will look into the pre-paid Cell C / iPhone 4 thing with them tomorrow.

grok

Honorary Master
Question: are you 100% sure it's a Vodacom problem? I suspect them as much as the next guy but reason I ask is my problems started as soon as I upgraded my software to 4.3.3. (8J2 baseband 05.16.02). Nothing else changed, I've been on Vodacom for years and have been running my 3GS on 3.1.3 for about 1.5 years without any issues. Unless of course something changed on the VC network after that outage about a month ago.

Most hits I found on google also point to connection issues since ios4 and up - all this accross various networks.

Anyway I'm as frustrated as you, paying for a service which doesn't give me joy anymore, so please post your findings for the rest of us.

Last edited:

Synaesthesia

Executive Member
I must say, expensive as they are, I've always had zero issues with Vodacom 3G. That's just my experience though, not denying what you guys are going through.

thed33p

I'm still experiencing this issue intermittently as are some of my colleagues.

We need somebody to fight the good fight here....

grok

Honorary Master
We need somebody to fight the good fight here....

Agree, but first we need to identify where the problem lies.

I've been to both Apple & Vodacom re. this issue and guess what? Typical of these kinda companies they weren't interested in acknowledging a problem - both claim there's nothing wrong with their network/software so it has to be my phone. I've asked Apple to have it sent for diagnostics but 'they don't fix they only swop out' & seeing as I'm out of warranty I'm out of luck. Vodacom told me there's no repairs on iPhones & straight away quoted me R5k for a new one - yeah right!

I still suspect software incompatibility more than Vodacom network, but how to prove it?

My findings:
My problem started after software upgrade to ios4, no issues before that. Ever!
My old 2G works fine when I swap sims upon getting the no service message.
Service is more stable after carrier update last week (only had one incident of no service since then).

ps. Spoke too soon, phone showing no service again. Colleague of mine's 3G, also on Vodacom, has full signal right next to mine #&^%*@$

Pixual

Expert Member
I don't think it's software related. I have friends with Blackberries who are experiencing the same thing. People I know on MTN with the same hardware and software as me don't have the problem.

I think that what's happening is VC's signal is changing erratically between GPRS and 3G and when it drops to no signal for some reason the phones cannot pick it up when it returns. If I switch off 3G I have no problems at all.

Another issue for me is that of dropped calls. I cannot remember when I last had a conversation exceeding 60 seconds that didn't result in a dropped call.

My solution is to simply go away from VC and use another network. Unfortunately I just can't get to Cell C today and I also want to avoid this RICA rush. What I just thought of doing though, is getting a test Cell C sim to see how it works on the iPhone 4 and then if I am happy with that I will port my VC number to them.

grok

Honorary Master
If I switch off 3G I have no problems at all.

Our symptoms differ slighly as 1) I get the no service message whether 3G is switched on or not, i.e. even on GPRS and 2) this definitely started happening only after my software upgrade to 4.3.3. Previously no problems on mine, my daughters & my old 2G .. meaning I never (even once in 3 years) saw the no service message on any of our phones prior to the upgrade.

From what I've read on google it not just Vodacom, so could it possibly be an incompatibility between ios4 & certain carriers on certain phones?
No help from either Vodacom or Apple, so is there anyone else on this board with some insider info who can assist us?

Last edited:

thed33p

Been having NO SERVICE on VC for the past hour even after 3 reboots - can anyone confirm? (Data and Wifi turned off....)

MarcW

Vodacom network

Been having NO SERVICE on VC for the past hour even after 3 reboots - can anyone confirm? (Data and Wifi turned off....)

Working out of Edenvale today. Zero signal for past 3 to 4 hours on HTC Legend.

Checked sim in old Nokia and also no signal on that. Prepaid MTN sim has signal in both phones so not device issue.

DeonH

Hi, (IPhone 3G; Vodacom Contract)
I am also on the East Rand, Boksburg. Also NO SIGNAL since earlier this morning. Yesterday I have noticed that sometimes I get Call Failed when trying to phone. People at our office with pre-paid packages have full signal reception.

Any updates?

Deon

DeonH

Hi, UPDATE.

Seconds after I have posted this above I thought I'd take a look at my phone. Full signal now. 13:21

---- EDIT ----
BUT, I still cannot dial. Call Failed.
---- EDIT ----

Deon

Last edited:

Pixual

Expert Member
I went into the Cell C shop at the Pavilion a short while ago and one of their consultants confirmed for me that the iPhone 4 will work properly on their network.

BUT, it will cost me R150 to port to them because they have to do a sim swap from the regular sim to the micro sim. Are they on drugs? I would rather cut the sim and spend the R150 on airtime.

ganjamu

Same here, I cannot make calls :mad:! Looks like its a national problem... Or am I exaggerating?

surfs-up

Expert Member
If you see the news headlines, you will see that vodacon has yet again kicked the proverbial bucket. They have been down for the whole day again today. Vote with your feet...

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
Spur of the moment thing to buy a 0.05c starter pack, but having been with them before I have decided that it's probably not going to be any better.

I will look into the pre-paid Cell C / iPhone 4 thing with them tomorrow.

You also get 8.ta prepaid starter packs...

PeanutX

Hi, (IPhone 3G; Vodacom Contract)
I am also on the East Rand, Boksburg. Also NO SIGNAL since earlier this morning. Yesterday I have noticed that sometimes I get Call Failed when trying to phone. People at our office with pre-paid packages have full signal reception.

Any updates?

Deon

Same thing on Prepaid Deon.