Vodacom overcharging me on a data contract

Olleey

I have a 20 GB (10 GB anytime and 10 GB night owl) data contract with Vodacom. I am supposed to be paying R320 per month. My bill for March, however, is standing at R6242. I started monitoring my data usage late in March and noticed my bill had already around R4000. Soon after that I got an SMS saying that my data usage was unusual and at that point my bill was R4600. I decided to turn off my router to avoid any further increase in my bill. To my disappointment, the bill had gone up again the next two days to R6242. I then called Vodacom to enquire about the issue and the consultant told me that the bill was not final and that the final bill (invoice) would be subject to possible changes and that there was also a chance that it was going to remain the same. The final bill is still R6242. For the month of April, I turned my router off when the bill was R373 and it has been off ever since. But my bill is still rising and currently it is standing at R406. What is going on here? Please help

ginggs

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Super Moderator
Vodacom overcharge everyone, no need to shout.

WireFree

If your 10GB anytime is already used up, you are probably paying the R2/MB out of bundle rate.

Get a pre-paid SIM card if you don't want surprises. With some of the banks you can use Internet Banking to automatically purchase a data bundle on a regular interval (e.g. every 4 weeks).

Same Internet, No Bill Shock!

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Consider changing to a top up package. Top Up also get night owl. Been like that for a while now.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
If your 10GB anytime is already used up, you are probably paying the R2/MB out of bundle rate.

Get a pre-paid SIM card if you don't want surprises. With some of the banks you can use Internet Banking to automatically purchase a data bundle on a regular interval (e.g. every 4 weeks).

Same Internet, No Bill Shock!
His router is off though.

moedawood

Can't you set a limit? Tell Vodacom that you want your contract limited to the amount you want so if you don't want to pay more than R 320, tell them to cut you off once you used the data.

I'm with MTN and they have this feature. I'm not sure about Vodacom but MTN's contracts are hybrid. Once you reach the limit you set, you can top up with airtime and use it.

I'm sure Vodacom has something similar? Just set a limit

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Can't you set a limit? Tell Vodacom that you want your contract limited to the amount you want so if you don't want to pay more than R 320, tell them to cut you off once you used the data.

I'm with MTN and they have this feature. I'm not sure about Vodacom but MTN's contracts are hybrid. Once you reach the limit you set, you can top up with airtime and use it.

I'm sure Vodacom has something similar? Just set a limit
Yes, it is called top up contract.

moedawood

Yes, it is called top up contract.
I assumed top up contract is where they give you airtime? I don't get airtime. I get minutes, sms and data. So if I didn't tell Mtn to set a limit, once I'm done with my minutes, I'll continue being charged which i assumed is an open ended contract?

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
Or just go over to axxess/afrihost mobile? or telkom mobile?

these are hardcapped.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
I assumed top up contract is where they give you airtime? I don't get airtime. I get minutes, sms and data. So if I didn't tell Mtn to set a limit, once I'm done with my minutes, I'll continue being charged which i assumed is an open ended contract?
Our voice packages are available on top up also. So you get the minutes and data, but if you finish it during the course of the month you can buy prepaid airtime for calls and prepaid data bundles until the 1st of the next month when you get your minutes and data again.