Vodacom Problems: Slow Throughput, trying to Connect, DNS, High Latency

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup same APN.

The differences in IP's across the board is weird.

BTW at this point in time my IPCONFIG is similar to the second last set and I can't browse any site. It just sits on "Looking for address..."

Posting with MTN sim.
 
I couldn't access websites last night, today was fine, but tonight again I can't access websites. I've had to log in to my PC at work using VNC to send this.

Same as you, https works, imap works, vnc works it only seems to be http that doesn't. My connection isn't slow at the moment either, I downloaded an attachment via imap and it came in at 2.9Mbps.
Same problem again tonight, disconnected and reconnected and http now working.

ipconfig when http not working:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-53-45-00-00-00
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 41.6.112.245
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 41.6.112.245
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 196.207.40.167
196.207.40.165
Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 10.11.12.13
Secondary WINS Server . . . . . . : 10.11.12.14
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled
ipconfig when http is working:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-53-45-00-00-00
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 41.3.180.135
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 41.3.180.135
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 196.207.40.167
196.207.40.165
Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 10.11.12.13
Secondary WINS Server . . . . . . : 10.11.12.14
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled
 
I'm crying without tears here in Mouille Point.

I'm trying to have a conversation with a girl on Facebook, but with all this disconnects, she has just told me that she is getting cheesed off. ARGGGHHHH!!!

Let me guess, it's the DNS servers screwing things up again? I'm beyond frustrated, I'm mad! :(
 
I'm crying without tears here in Mouille Point.

I'm trying to have a conversation with a girl on Facebook, but with all this disconnects, she has just told me that she is getting cheesed off. ARGGGHHHH!!!

Let me guess, it's the DNS servers screwing things up again? I'm beyond frustrated, I'm mad! :(

Had some problems here too. Was in the middle of a poker torney (luckily only on Facebook:p).
 
Let me guess, it's the DNS servers screwing things up again? I'm beyond frustrated, I'm mad! :(
Nope, DNS is hunky dory, that's why one can still use all the other protocols.

PS: Can't you use facebook via https? I seem to remember there was an option to keep SSL going.
 
me too

just wanted to confirm I'm also getting the problem.
Connecting early yesterday afternoon was fine, but yesterday evening couldn't connect at all, just get "web site found, waiting for reply"
Have had this a few times over the last week - usually in the evenings.
VERY frustrating.:mad:
 
Nope, DNS is hunky dory, that's why one can still use all the other protocols.

PS: Can't you use facebook via https? I seem to remember there was an option to keep SSL going.

Yeah ... you can Facebook via https as well ... so whenever this happens I can access Facebook and Gmail at least ... which accounts for a massive - I dunno ... 5% of my total internet use.

At least having Gmail is useful ... but being unable to browse most anything else is tremendously frustrating. That being said - things have been fine since Saturday evening - I'm hoping it stays that way.
 
just wanted to confirm I'm also getting the problem.
Connecting early yesterday afternoon was fine, but yesterday evening couldn't connect at all, just get "web site found, waiting for reply"
Have had this a few times over the last week - usually in the evenings.
VERY frustrating.:mad:
I think the above message confirms DNS is working, eventually I get a "document contains no data" error. If DNS wasn't working you'd see a "web site cannot be found" error.

Welcome to MyBroadband. :) Please update your location in the User Control Panel on this site.

PS: @everyone experiencing the http problem, please PM me your reference number from when you reported the problem on 155 and I'll forward them all on together. If you haven't already reported it, please do so.
 
Last edited:
Same here, got my new 3G over the weekend and these are my problems so far..

1.) It takes my (K3520) 3G modem 2-5mins (random) to find the vodacom signal or sometimes never (resulting in me having to replug the unit)

2.) Randomly the VMC software will report that mobile tools or whatever can't connect and the only way for me to reestablish the connection is by replugging the modem (which is damn annoying)

3.) Sometimes the modem will state connected but when browsing nothing happens (only to be remedied by unplug)

When it works the speeds are fine (expect for the annoying poor signal error even though I'm in coverage area - Bellville, Cape Town).
 
I think the above message confirms DNS is working, eventually I get a "document contains no data" error. If DNS wasn't working you'd see a "web site cannot be found" error.

Welcome to MyBroadband. :) Please update your location in the User Control Panel on this site.

PS: @everyone experiencing the http problem, please PM me your reference number from when you reported the problem on 155 and I'll forward them all on together. If you haven't already reported it, please do so.

My reference nr is on my PC at home - I'll forward it through when I get back tonight.
 
Looking good my side :)

Download Speed: 1999 kbps (249.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 797 kbps (99.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
 
Even better over here.

Download : 4897 kbps (612.1 KB/sec)
Upload : 928 kbps (116 KB/sec)

Don't know what Vodacom did, but it's looking really good. Me likes. :)

Hey, that does mean I'm outperforming Telkom's fastest ADSL offering with my B970 router & 3.6 Mbps service?? Whoohoo!!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
26 May 2009,
00:54 am.

3G/HSDPA entirely down. No data in or out. Doesn't even connect.
EDGE slow as hell on strike. Disconnects EXTREMELY regular.
 
I had the strangest problem yesterday - I could connect to the internet fine, I could ping, I could send and receive e-mails - I could even FTP. But, I couldn't browse. Not local or international. Then, for some random reason I decided to try accessing my Gmail account using https - and it worked. http was still a no-go however. Same thing with Facebook.
@shadowfox, glamprecht and InquisitorJax: Please PM me your reference numbers, I want to forward them to the technician attending to this.
 
I had the strangest problem yesterday - I could connect to the internet fine, I could ping, I could send and receive e-mails - I could even FTP. But, I couldn't browse. Not local or international. Then, for some random reason I decided to try accessing my Gmail account using https - and it worked. http was still a no-go however. Same thing with Facebook.
I had the same problem on Monday. I could only connect to online banking and receive emails via Office Outlook. But no browsing. I restared the computer and everything worked fine after that.
 
Thanks V3G and everyone else who has helped me with my connection problems.

Alas they continue. Today, Sunday, is particularly bad, as every Sunday this year has been.

I host sites overseas and ADSL does not leave me with page errors that Voda does every time I edit these sites. So that is the route I am taking.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X