Vodacom Problems: Slow Throughput, trying to Connect, DNS, High Latency

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Daveogg, feo. I've passed your details on.

Anyone else seeing this 'after-7pm-can't-connect-on-pre-paid' problem?

If so PM me the number, your area, 2G or 3G and your swiss bank account number.

Obviously the first thing the guys will check is if you had money in the account! So please drop me in the dwang...:)
 
@v3g, could you also ask for comment from the gurus, about the authentication error message [directly] on a cellphone being essentially the same as a 619 error in Windoze?

Will confirm but I'm pretty sure it is. Both are equally vague and translates to: 'Could not connect. You figure out why'
 
OK, my bad. We (VC) have known about the '7-PM' problem for quite a while, capacity planning pointed to it even before it started and specific actions were put in place to upgrade in time. These upgrades consist of two elements, systems on our side and bigger pipes from our friendly bits and bytes supplier.

The first system upgrades happened over the weekend, but the new systems decided they like to eat SMTP packets, so we had to roll back. Upgrades scheduled for this week, starting tonight.

Unfortunately the time-frames for the second stage is unknown at this point. :mad: Time for VCS to start digging.....

I'm very glad to hear this :D
I have recently been seriously considering comprimising my morals and resorting to the Telkom battle.. Online Gaming in the evening has just been impossible of late. (For the Horde!)

Could I ask for a bit more information in this regard? How long will the primary upgrade take? Who will be affected? What changes are we likely to see? Who REALLY needs smtp packets, anyway? :p

Am I right in thinking that the 7PM problem only really started about 3 weeks ago? That's when I first noticed, at any rate. I had a pretty constant day-long 700kbps download. Nowadays it's 700kbps in the day, ~100kbps in the evening.

Thanks, V3G!

MrOoze
E220 Prepaid
Southern Suburbs,
Cape Town.
 
I'm very glad to hear this :D
I have recently been seriously considering comprimising my morals and resorting to the Telkom battle.. Online Gaming in the evening has just been impossible of late. (For the Horde!)

Could I ask for a bit more information in this regard? How long will the primary upgrade take? Who will be affected? What changes are we likely to see? Who REALLY needs smtp packets, anyway? :p

Am I right in thinking that the 7PM problem only really started about 3 weeks ago? That's when I first noticed, at any rate. I had a pretty constant day-long 700kbps download. Nowadays it's 700kbps in the day, ~100kbps in the evening.

Thanks, V3G!

MrOoze
E220 Prepaid
Southern Suburbs,
Cape Town.

Seems most people started seeing the effects 3 weeks ago. Let me get more info on exactly what will happen when. Because both the VC and Telkom upgrades are in the same line, it might be that we'll only see an improvement when both are done. Let's hope not.....
 
by disruptions i mean it stops and starts all the time. and sometimes vlive apn is working and internet apn isnt etc etc. just generally very crappy lately. as testified by the fact ive been on mxit less than 30mins in the past 2weeks. thats like a record for me. some of my friends think im dead or backpacking to tim bak tu. . . so like wat is with the problems anyway?
 
okay forgive me for being rash but is it south african thing to predict a problem but only do something about that problem once people start complaining? i mean if you knew it was going to happen why not fix it immediately? vodacom would make more money in the end instead of all this downtime? maybe it is a south african thing. i dunno. anyways carry on gentleman.
 
Well here we go again. 5.43 and GPRS is NON-EXISTANT! :mad:

I'll try being patient and let them fix their network before I start bitching.
 
The worst experience for me is between 19H30 and 21H30. It's difficult to stay connected during these times, and when I'm connected there is usually no data transfer (I can't browse any websites).
 
I'm very glad to hear this :D
I have recently been seriously considering comprimising my morals and resorting to the Telkom battle.. Online Gaming in the evening has just been impossible of late. (For the Horde!)

Could I ask for a bit more information in this regard? How long will the primary upgrade take? Who will be affected? What changes are we likely to see? Who REALLY needs smtp packets, anyway? :p

Am I right in thinking that the 7PM problem only really started about 3 weeks ago? That's when I first noticed, at any rate. I had a pretty constant day-long 700kbps download. Nowadays it's 700kbps in the day, ~100kbps in the evening.

Thanks, V3G!

MrOoze
E220 Prepaid
Southern Suburbs,
Cape Town.


Thanks V3G for the feedback.

I can definitely say it started around 3 weeks back. The evenings are horrid with very slow speeds (7pm - 11pm).

I hit an almost all time low with a download speed of 98kbps! Upload doesn't want to complete (hangs at around 108kbps). I hit the reload current page and then I get around 190kbps d/l on average and 160kbps u/load.

Hope this gets sorted soon.

J.
 
This is starting to get on my last nerve, the download rate is so bad, just now I thought to myself let me post the speeds i get right now, but it took me 4 timeouts a disconnect and 10min, just to get this post here! :mad:

As you can see from a previous post i did, my speeds do go up, but like now, its not even worth being called EDGE rates.

Download Speed: 186 kbps (23.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 200 kbps (25 KB/sec transfer rate)

and although it looks as if one can still surf websites, its impossible if you have to EVEN reload google 3 times just to get the site to display, the rate isn't even constant anymore, what is up with the towers? I need internet constantly, and this is causing problems for me.
 
pathetic really!!

Your download speed is: 9.74 KBps, or 77.88 Kbps

Yeah look I mean lets be reasonable, anything under 30kBps is embarrassing and quite frankly in the Norwood area on a full strength signal using e220 and latest mobile partner software the above result is pathetic!!!

It will no doubt speed up the later in the evening we get and tomorrow morning it will be super quick till around 12ish when it will slowly start to degrade...

I think all the paying public ask for is a bit of consistency and I would much rather have slower speeds but consistent speeds i.e. 35-40kBps would surffice (guess I should have opted for adsl).

And I would have but my suburb is not compatiable with the product!!! But that's a whole other debate...

Perhaps I'll post some more speed results later tonight or early tomorrow to put my frustration into perspective.

We know what the product is capable of producing that we get frustrated when it doesn't...
 
look I have posted both positive and negative comments pertaining to vodacoms product because it is just a bit inconsistent generally and just lately I've become a bit frustrated with the 7pm-9pm degradation of the service.

Lets just say when it's good it's fantastic but when it's bad it's pretty awfull!!!

Your download speed is: 14.93 KBps, or 119.46 Kbps
 
Your download speed is: 9.74 KBps, or 77.88 Kbps

Yeah look I mean lets be reasonable, anything under 30kBps is embarrassing and quite frankly in the Norwood area on a full strength signal using e220 and latest mobile partner software the above result is pathetic!!!

It will no doubt speed up the later in the evening we get and tomorrow morning it will be super quick till around 12ish when it will slowly start to degrade...

I think all the paying public ask for is a bit of consistency and I would
much rather have slower speeds but consistent speeds i.e. 35-40kBps would surffice (guess I should have opted for adsl).

And I would have but my suburb is not compatiable with the product!!! But that's a whole other debate...

Perhaps I'll post some more speed results later tonight or early tomorrow to put my frustration into perspective.

We know what the product is capable of producing that we get frustrated when it doesn't...


if your connection is 35-40kbps then I cry for your part, as my grandmother's GPRS wap phone will kick your connection in the bud! I think you meant 40Kb/s , just make sure when you post don't do kBps, Kbps, kbps etc, it's a bit confusing to keep track of. Normally we say kb/s for download speed, and kbps for downlink rate, something like that, much easier to follow thx :P
As with my speeds I would be glad to have 23kb/s download, while VC fixes their s..... but unfortunately that 23kb/s isn't even constant, I get a lot of timeouts etc :(
 
- Your area = East Bank Alexandra
- Your type of modem = Nokia 6680
- The modem's EMEI = ???
- The modem's firmware revision = ???
- apn you're on = internet.GPRS

I'm posting this at 12:50 because this is the only time I get decent speeds. During the morning till about 7:30 in the evening is reasonable but then, from 7:30 till around 11:00, it gets really bad (pages take 5 mins to load). I used to get full 3G speed, but this stopped around Jan of this year and I got EDGE, which was fine but lately it's got really bad

EDIT: and I can't download any zipped/rar'ed files, because they simply won't open when they are complete. Anyone know what the story is?
 
- Your area = East Bank Alexandra
- Your type of modem = Nokia 6680
- The modem's EMEI = ???
- The modem's firmware revision = ???
- apn you're on = internet.GPRS

I'm posting this at 12:50 because this is the only time I get decent speeds. During the morning till about 7:30 in the evening is reasonable but then, from 7:30 till around 11:00, it gets really bad (pages take 5 mins to load). I used to get full 3G speed, but this stopped around Jan of this year and I got EDGE, which was fine but lately it's got really bad

EDIT: and I can't download any zipped/rar'ed files, because they simply won't open when they are complete. Anyone know what the story is?

What error message do you get with the compressed files?:confused:
 
flying this morning

Your download speed is: 78.35 KBps, or 626.83 Kbps


that's better but unfortunately it wont last all day so milk it while it's good...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X