Vodacom Problems: Slow Throughput, trying to Connect, DNS, High Latency

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok so my signal hovers around 91dBm to 105dbm, certainly not as good as it should be, what can be done to improve this? (if that is a stupid question i apologize) but would getting a longer usb cable and sticking it near a window make a difference? i'm in a ground floor flat.

anwayz i've stopped using vmclite and just using the connection as a raw dialup sessions through windows and the stability has improved alot.

thanks for the all the info so far guys. appreciate it. :)

-jon

The longer USB cable often work, sometimes just lifting the modem a meter helps a lot, or to get it away from a noisy envitronment. I carry a 5 meter USB cable when I travel, for this purpose.

You can also try Poyntings inductive coupler with an external, high-gain antenna. Should be hte best solution.
 
e220 fiddling

hey guys well i scavenged 2 x 1.8m ext cables and the original cable supplied and rigged that up to the e220 and went back and forth in my flat until finally i got -89dBm - -83dBm which is way better than before. so it seems a little physical distance has created a good effect. now it says its connecting hsdpa more often as well! neato things are looking up! :> thanks again guys for the suggestions, may try getting an external antenna at some point if i have to. + a real 5m usb cable may be in order.
cheers :D
-jon
 
Care to elaborate, maybe even start a new thread?
It seems I can't stay on hsdpa. It starts off on it and then switches to 3G. It's not the first time but since it was off on friday it's mostly on 3G only. Also don't know if this is my imagination but it seems as if no data is going through until it switches to 3G.

Was wondering if this is still part of the fallout or a separate issue.
 
I've got a little problem doing it's course:( . I start off with very bad signal (HSDPA) then it switches over to GPRS, full signal...... :mad: the maybe HSDPA again, then it just bombs out completely. No idea what's going on. Was working perfect last week, still the same spot. (velgro on window):D is there a known problem here in PE. I know everything else takes awhile, but not this.....
 
Connectivity was very bad on Thursday 22nd, afternoon, and Friday morning in Sandton (Rivonia / Fredman). 3G had almost no signal and would not keep a connection; GPRS connections also dropped frequently. On Friday morning GPRS at least was stable. (And 3G connectivity was fine at the same location earlier in the week.)

On Friday afternoon, at another client just at the other end of Fredman drive, 3G signal was OK (around 50%). I suppose the 3G cells really are very small.
 
3G has a smaller footprint than GPRS so more towers are required to service the same area covered by 1 or 2 GPRS towers. Also as more users log on the footprint shrinks.
 
I am having endless problems today in Bryanston to connect to both internet and internetvpn access points. Before blaming my TyTN, v3g, are you aware of any problems here?
 
Not a complaint, but just feedback. I am in Corlett Drive, opp Wanderers, and keep losing connection. When I have it, it seems sloooow. Last week took around 30 mins to get a normal batch of messages

Does it slow down towards Fridays?

Cory
 
28/11/2007. 1 block south of lower end of Conrad Drive, Blairgowrie. 3G only profile. Huwai 620 card. Contract. 3G signal varies suddenly and randomly from 0 to full but changes every minute or so. No long periods of consistent signal. Connection fluctuates randomly between 3G and HSDPA. Throughput very slow to slow. Many disconnects. Restart card and reboot pc did not change anything.

Ken
 
hsdpa doesnt work @ all!

the whole of tonight i've been experencing serious lag. I've isolated it happens when my 3g connection switches to hsdpa mode. Is there something severly wrong with the supporting infastructure for hsdpa as whenever it switches it slows to the point of not working at all?

any1 else discover this?

btw i used the e620 software tool to enable 3g only connecitivity (there is no choice for turning off hsdpa though)
 
28/11/2007. 1 block south of lower end of Conrad Drive, Blairgowrie. 3G only profile. Huwai 620 card. Contract. 3G signal varies suddenly and randomly from 0 to full but changes every minute or so. No long periods of consistent signal. Connection fluctuates randomly between 3G and HSDPA. Throughput very slow to slow. Many disconnects. Restart card and reboot pc did not change anything.

Ken
Very similar to what I'm getting. Signal disappears and only gives me MTN signal. One moment it's on hsdpa and the next on 3G. Also saw that there's now an edge signal but there's either no throughput when I try to use it or it switches to gprs. Wonder if they are doing upgrades and slipping up.
 
Clearly you need to move around until you find a position with better signal strength, see also: [searchforum]"Cell Breathing"[/searchforum].

Sorry, forgot to mention that moving around in a radius of 15 meters or so made no discernible difference. Also omitted to mention that this location is usually rock solid HSDPA. And is much better this evening.

It would be helpful to have a readout of which tower was being accessed in order to track cell breathing and re-direction.

Ken
 
Sorry, forgot to mention that moving around in a radius of 15 meters or so made no discernible difference. Also omitted to mention that this location is usually rock solid HSDPA. And is much better this evening.

It would be helpful to have a readout of which tower was being accessed in order to track cell breathing and re-direction.

Ken
I concur. It's always easy to blame signal strength and cell breathing when there is a real problem.
 
It would be helpful if you updated the location field in your forum profile so we know what area & suburb & province you're in.

In my first post I said exactly where this happened: "1 block south of lower end of Conrad Drive, Blairgowrie." Most people would know that Blairgowrie is in Johannesburg, sorry if you missed that. It is not my home so my location profile would not have helped.

I don't think this is a signal strength problem per se. The maximum signal was 100% so I'm close to a good signal, it was just fluctuating. And, as I say, this location (a client) is usually 100% 3G signal, 100% HSDPA.

Cell breating could be an issue but, in the absence of the information needed to establish the facts, it remains only a possibility. I think something else was happening - perhaps a cell coming in and out of service, but that's equally an opinion, based on pretty much no facts.

Ken
 
In my first post I said exactly where this happened: "1 block south of lower end of Conrad Drive, Blairgowrie." Most people would know that Blairgowrie is in Johannesburg, sorry if you missed that. It is not my home so my location profile would not have helped.

I don't think this is a signal strength problem per se. The maximum signal was 100% so I'm close to a good signal, it was just fluctuating. And, as I say, this location (a client) is usually 100% 3G signal, 100% HSDPA.

Cell breating could be an issue but, in the absence of the information needed to establish the facts, it remains only a possibility. I think something else was happening - perhaps a cell coming in and out of service, but that's equally an opinion, based on pretty much no facts.

Ken

Cell breathing would look EXACTLY like a cell coming in and out of service, so ic is not wrong in his observation.

I did check last night and there were no known problems on the radio network in the area, so it's been escalated to the region.

3G/HSDPA cells are small, so what ic asked for is an exact address otherwise we won't be able to determine the serving tower/cell.

If you're still battling today, PM me with as much detail as possible.
 
Three towers, in the area, had intermittent leased line failures yesterday / last night. The links would come up and then drop again. This would give the impression that '3G comes and goes'.

Two cleared last night (around 6pm and 9pm), still awaiting feedback on the 3rd. I assume it's still in hand with the local telco supplier.
 
Last edited:
860KB of email downloads (pop3) from gmail taking over 10minutes to download on second attempt. Was initially on internet apn now on internetvpn apn.

HSDPA 46%signal strength.

:(:(:(
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X