VOIP for Dummies. PLEASE HELP!

cavedog

Honorary Master
There is also Websquad's Cloud Voice VOIP.

R59 monthly includes a number and 100min. 60c mobile networks and 35c landline.

Once activated you simply add the details in CS Wave app, Get a VOIP phone or get a Grandstream ata and use your current analogue phone.

HunterGR

Expert Member
With Greydot you actually get money back for making and receiving calls.

A 13min call to MTN cost me R4.20. I was rewarded with 22c back.
A 8min call that I received I earned 14c back.

Greydot is not the best streamlined service but it works really well actually. You get a free 087510 number.

Call Rates are
29c per minute billed per second calls to Telkom mobile, MTN and Vodacom
35c per minute billed per second calls to Cellc
30c to Telkom landline
Free calls Greydot to Greydot

Greydot also allows you to set your cellphone number as the caller ID.

Greydot also allows you to make call backs. That means they call you on your chosen number and then call the other party no VOIP needed. You get charged for each call meaning ~60c per minute when calling like that as it counts as 2 calls.

View attachment 811067

The cons obviously is not so streamlined in general. App needs work. Loading money the price excludes vat meaning you will load R50 and you will get credited R50 - Vat. The reason they do that is because I believe the call rate is also excluding vat so you pay the vat up front when recharging.

Server is hosted on the Vox network in JHB meaning 25ms for people in CPT and 15ms for people in DUR but for me in Centurion I get 3-4ms to the server so very good quality.

No support for Opus or HD voice codecs it seems just the general G729, G711 a and u law.

R5 per day/ R150 per month for a DID number like 010,011,012 ect. It was free before but they started charging for it now.

Overall I think they compare favorably to other VOIP offers.

Works really really well on CS Wave (Grandstream wave) Free Android and ios app.
Can i use this service on a Voip capable phone like a Yaelink T23G or a Snom 300 (I have about 80 of those lying around) for instance?

cavedog

Honorary Master
Can i use this service on a Voip capable phone like a Yaelink T23G or a Snom 300 (I have about 80 of those lying around) for instance?
If it can take sip details then yes you enter the sip server the username and password and you are sorted.

IceyPieQ

Company I work for is also looking at switching from analogue to a voip solution but does not look like anyone can beat what they currently have with Telkom at R3200 for 3 lines switchboard unlimited calls including 4Mbps adsl.
Full disclosure. I work for Bizvoip. We offer a range of CloudPbx and VoIP services for resellers, but our sister company sells direct to the public for business and home if you want to get a quote?

cavedog

Honorary Master
Full disclosure. I work for Bizvoip. We offer a range of CloudPbx and VoIP services for resellers, but our sister company sells direct to the public for business and home if you want to get a quote?

Nice pricing :)

cavedog

Honorary Master
@system32

Another option to add to your list.

Very cheap Voip even cheaper than Greydot.me Low call rates. Free did number and free Havex to Havex calls. Not bad :) 2 services they offer. Below is the voip sip trunk and then the app offers an instant setup solution but rates are slightly more. Still pretty cheap and the app works really well even have transfer call options which is nice.

Opera Snapshot_2020-04-07_161021_havex.co.za.png

cavedog

Honorary Master
@system32

Another option to add to your list.

Very cheap Voip even cheaper than Greydot.me Low call rates. Free did number and free Havex to Havex calls. Not bad :) 2 services they offer. Below is the voip sip trunk and then the app offers an instant setup solution but rates are slightly more. Still pretty cheap and the app works really well even have transfer call options which is nice.

View attachment 814233

This offer has a minimum of R1000 topup at a time which I think is a bit excessive when you consider it's a "home" product. Pitty.

The Havex voice app does not have the same restrictions you can topup with any value but call rate is slightly higher. Runs on Push so the app does not run always like other sip providers which is a really cool feature.