Vox Telecom suffers downtime

RichardG

Honorary Master
Basically saying that the backup systems failed, although I heard that there was corruption as well.

Hopefully they have some plan in place now! Servers probably went on strike for a day - overworking too hard :p

unskinnybob

Expert Member
We experienced a unanticipated, critical hardware failure on both existing and redundant equipment
Until EMC provide feedback I call poppycock. Human error - either initial setup was flawed or someone made some on-the-fly config changes that cocked things up.

Totempole

Expert Member
UPDATE: Together with EMC, the replacement hardware has now been successfully installed. Full service restoration will occur within the next 8 hours. We experienced a unanticipated, critical hardware failure on both existing and redundant equipment, and we’ll report back to customers as soon as the restoration is complete.

So 8 hours have passed, and I still can't access my email. Not that I will have received anything new between the hours of 11PM yesterday and now, because any attempts people have made to send me emails have resulted in a bounce back (if that).

Thanks guys, once again you've outdone yourselves.

unskinnybob

Expert Member
8 hours my arse. DR my arse. R300k a month customer looking for MPLS and hosting.

Vox Telecom

Vox Telecom Representative
Company Rep
UPDATE: The team has been working throughout the night and 90% of the affected services have been restored. Everything from a services layer is up-and-running (including mail, web servers, etc.), with all mail queues currently executing. There are still issues on certain voice and dynamic DNS services, but both will be back online shortly. We thank you again for your patience and will continue to update you throughout the weekend.

bavmorda

Internet is back. Been watching/listening to IP TV in the background for the last 2 hours. Speed is constant.

e2ss45

In Defence

UPDATE: The team has been working throughout the night and 90% of the affected services have been restored. Everything from a services layer is up-and-running (including mail, web servers, etc.), with all mail queues currently executing. There are still issues on certain voice and dynamic DNS services, but both will be back online shortly. We thank you again for your patience and will continue to update you throughout the weekend.

Most of us have been there too! Come on guys! So their service may have slipped (maybe!!). This is the first time in many years that we have been using Vox that there has been an outage so long. I am confident it will be up soon.

Totempole

Expert Member

My email is back up and I did seem to receive a bunch of emails (not all of them). The date/time stamps on the emails that got through are completely wrong though.

froot

Honorary Master
My clients' sites are finally back up again.
Downtime: around 36 hours. It's atrocious.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Most of us have been there too! Come on guys! So their service may have slipped (maybe!!). This is the first time in many years that we have been using Vox that there has been an outage so long. I am confident it will be up soon.

For a home user it may be different but many large companies rely on data and voice through them and voice has suffered the worst. Yes, sh** happens but it doesn't help the bottom line or having to explain that to non-technical people who see something that works day in and day out and can't comprehend the downtime.

nightjar

Executive Member
My clients' sites are finally back up again.
Downtime: around 36 hours. It's atrocious.

My VOIP is still down.
I supply the Vox product to a lot of homes and small businesses and this is what kills it because the clients are not able or prepared to accept downtime. Telkom has a lot of faults but their voice quality and availability is top class, excluding cable nationalization by the comrades.

unskinnybob

Expert Member
At R4,8 million a year Enterprise service shouldn't "slip". Doesn't help how much money you spend on building a multi-provider redundant network when your hosting companies configuration devices fail utterly.

e2ss45

At R4,8 million a year Enterprise service shouldn't "slip". Doesn't help how much money you spend on building a multi-provider redundant network when your hosting companies configuration devices fail utterly.

Hey! I said "Maybe". I don't have an issue with their service or response or my account manager. I don't think I'm just lucky either. Forge good relationships and get good service. However we are contributing to the R4,8 million too :). It looks like the issue is resolved as our VoIP is back up. It's been a long week in a very short space of time. Keep busy guys, that way it is not a short week in a long space of time. Now to explain this to our clients! Cheers.

Vox Telecom

Vox Telecom Representative
Company Rep
UPDATE: All services are now up-and-running. We apologise for any inconvenience caused and thank you for your patience.

unskinnybob

Expert Member
Hey! I said "Maybe". I don't have an issue with their service or response or my account manager. I don't think I'm just lucky either. Forge good relationships and get good service. However we are contributing to the R4,8 million too :). It looks like the issue is resolved as our VoIP is back up. It's been a long week in a very short space of time. Keep busy guys, that way it is not a short week in a long space of time. Now to explain this to our clients! Cheers.

R4.8mil is my annual bill alone.

DJ...

Banned
Seems Vox are having more issues today. Seems to be a DNS issue...