Vuma Reach Phoenix Thread

ADrunkTeddyBear

Expert Member
Hi guys! not too sure how many people from Phoenix DBN are here. But this thread will be here for future issues and feedback for Vuma Reach in Phoenix

Stiffmeister

Not really an issue, but why aren't there more speed offerings with Vuma Reach? 40mb is the highest. Will this stay the same or are they going to offer higher speeds in the future?

Spontaneous spinach

Expert Member
Not really an issue, but why aren't there more speed offerings with Vuma Reach? 40mb is the highest. Will this stay the same or are they going to offer higher speeds in the future?
I assume higher speed packages will be possible in the future since I believe they started with just 20/10 package , but still for 40/10 at that price! On hold to cancel my adsl

ADrunkTeddyBear

Expert Member
I assume higher speed packages will be possible in the future since I believe they started with just 20/10 package , but still for 40/10 at that price! On hold to cancel my adsl
I think higher speeds will be available soon. 40 megs was introduced in 2020. So maybe in a year or 2 there should be a 100meg option as well.

CapoPlays

Welcome to vumareach from a fellow user in cape town via afrihost best ever im a gamer and i have super low ping on eu 156ms almost 0 jitter toooo, although you may receive an all in one ont wireless router I recommend yall buy a dual band router for 5ghz wifi network easy to setup

Scuderia1

How long after trenching does it normally take for fibre to go live? They are currently digging a road away from me.

Spontaneous spinach

Expert Member
Welcome to vumareach from a fellow user in cape town via afrihost best ever im a gamer and i have super low ping on eu 156ms almost 0 jitter toooo, although you may receive an all in one ont wireless router I recommend yall buy a dual band router for 5ghz wifi network easy to setup
156 ping to the EU..
Man you're living my dream, best I ever got was 178 and currently I'm struggling with 220 ping to EU when playing games like battlefield v and stuff, I wonder what's the best us Durban guys will get

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
156 ping to the EU..
Man you're living my dream, best I ever got was 178 and currently I'm struggling with 220 ping to EU when playing games like battlefield v and stuff, I wonder what's the best us Durban guys will get
Most networks route KZN to Cape Town via JHB for international, which adds around 25ms on top of the WACs latency which is 140ms from Cape Town to London. So 165ms is what to expect from KZN.

ghostRgg

Expert Member
Most networks route KZN to Cape Town via JHB for international, which adds around 25ms on top of the WACs latency which is 140ms from Cape Town to London. So 165ms is what to expect from KZN.
I know you guys have that route, but a lot of KZN ISP's are forced AWS routing from Durban -> JHB - >Durban (Mtunzini) then up to MEA.

I really do miss the 148ms latency from Durban to MRS France which personally would be the best gaming route for Durban.

Reactions: Yuu

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
I know you guys have that route, but a lot of KZN ISP's are forced AWS routing from Durban -> JHB - >Durban (Mtunzini) then up to MEA.

I really do miss the 148ms latency from Durban to MRS France which personally would be the best gaming route for Durban.

Ideally yes for KZN it would be the best to go to NAP DUR and then to France via one of the East Coast cables. The issue is that very few transit providers accept traffic at NAP DUR. AWS does not as far as I'm aware which means that traffic needs to go to JHB first and then they take over the traffic.

If NAP DUR becomes more popular and as fibre coverage grow in Durban and traffic levels pick up that might be reality soon so any fibre rollouts in KZN is welcomed. :)

Sarg3_ZN

Expert Member
How long after trenching does it normally take for fibre to go live? They are currently digging a road away from me.

Once live you will log a request for installation from one of the ISP's, I went with Web Africa, since I had my ADSL data account with them, and it took 3 days

Vis1/0N

Expert Member
I wish there was a roadmap for this. I am in a less affluent area than Woodview/Palmview and see them moving inwards into Phoenix, probably working via the Show your interest page.

Had a meeting with a school SGB on Friday who desperately need internet. By the sounds of it they are with some wisp with not very good signal. Their admin staff was going around to the cellular providers looking for a solution and at the same time not looking to get into a long term contract.

ghostRgg

Expert Member
I wish there was a roadmap for this. I am in a less affluent area than Woodview/Palmview and see them moving inwards into Phoenix, probably working via the Show your interest page.

Had a meeting with a school SGB on Friday who desperately need internet. By the sounds of it they are with some wisp with not very good signal. Their admin staff was going around to the cellular providers looking for a solution and at the same time not looking to get into a long term contract.
I mean you could look at an FTTB option, but it will have to be a long term contract of 12-24 months either way, with a pretty pricey upfront install cost, which isn't great but for most schools, you generally need an FTTB line.

There are a few projects in the KZN area which are offering a decently if not free priced gigabit speed for schools. If you pm me the school name and some basic details I can do a check for you.