Vumatel Durbanville - ISP recommendations

mk1

Expert Member
Hi all,

I am planning to sign up to Vumatel in Durbanville and I am looking at a 20Mbps/2Mbps uncapped service and would prefer a ISP with a news server as I do download from Telkom's news servers at the moment.

VOIP would be with Freshphone and Zioper.

Below is a couple of ISP's I have looked at for 20/2 uncapped with a budget of max R800pm.

Crystalweb - R750
https://www.crystalweb.co.za/product-ftth-vumatel
Month to month
Vumatel activation fee not included (R999)
They have their own news server
Looks like alot of negative feedback on their service

Cool Ideas - R799
https://www.cisp.co.za/ftth/vumatel-residential/
No Connection fee
Free router
Month to month
All round good feedback

Telkom ISP - R799
SAIX News server
12 Month contract - free modem, installation and connection
Telkom is telkom - service can suck alot

RocketNet - R695
http://www.rocketnet.co.za/vumatel-fibre-pricing/
Month to Month
Free WiFi Router
R500 Setup Fee
Vumatel Install Fee Excluded
No additional costs (all in)
No News servers
Good feedback

Any advice or recommendations of the other lesser known ISP's available on Vumatel?

Thanks!

ghostR

Executive Member
Don't forget, With Cool Ideas you can make use of the IS News Server.

Kloon

Expert Member
WebAfrica used to have their own news sever a year or so ago when I checked news.wa.co.za they are also IS based. Crystalweb also have their own news server news.crystalweb.co.za and they are also IS based if I am not mistaken.

WAZAR

Banned
WebAfrica used to have their own news sever a year or so ago when I checked news.wa.co.za they are also IS based. Crystalweb also have their own news server news.crystalweb.co.za and they are also IS based if I am not mistaken.

CW does not have their own, they have the IS server and they also resell NextGenNews - which often has problems.

LPCPT

Rocketnet 20/20 @R795 no installation cost and also free modem
Signed up over weekend. working great so far.

mk1

Expert Member
Rocketnet 20/20 @R795 no installation cost and also free modem
Signed up over weekend. working great so far.

On which backbone is Rocketnet? Can you connect to IS or SAIX news servers?

LPCPT

Just remember, you still need to pay Vumatel R1710.
I noticed that the ISP's that cover the Vumatel connection fee either have higher monthly fees and/or contracts. I opted to pay that myself as I like independence.

Heard some bad things about Telkom, like line sharing/FUP etc. and that R799 is for 10/2 if I'm not mistaken.

mk1

Expert Member
Please check if you can telnet to the below two addresses on port 119?

news.is.co.za
news.saix.net

Thanks!

LPCPT

So my speedtest shows full speed 20Mbs, but when I stream a movie (gomovies) it buffers.
WTF
Is it the browser, my computer or is my line shaped?
Vumatel and Rocketnet is my ISP

HeftyCrab

Expert Member
So my speedtest shows full speed 20Mbs, but when I stream a movie (gomovies) it buffers.
WTF
Is it the browser, my computer or is my line shaped?
Vumatel and Rocketnet is my ISP

Have you tried checking on fast.com?

It could also be the movie site thats giving issues. Are you having issues streaming youtube?

Try the Netflix free trial.

Loppas

It could also be the movie site thats giving issues. Are you having issues streaming youtube?

+1. I'v also had issues with gomovies on cool ideas 200/200 and when i was on 10mb adsl with vox. I think its just the stream source, I see the same thing when using kodi too where some streams buffer but others are okay.

One thing to note is that it will usually be fine in the morning through to daytime and then towards late afternoon it will start to run slow. Its possible this is the result of contention, but its not the ISP shaping the line from their side.

LPCPT

Have you tried checking on fast.com?

Try the Netflix free trial.

Yes on fast.com it goes full speed.
Yesterday I tried a speedtest and could not even connect to a server. Noticed my wireless printer was very close to the modem. Switched printer off and connected instantly and got full speed.
I will try the Netfix trial and see.
Youtube is fine, I think. No complaints from the kids and believe me they complain very quickly:D

Totempole

Expert Member
I noticed that the ISP's that cover the Vumatel connection fee either have higher monthly fees and/or contracts. I opted to pay that myself as I like independence.

Afrihost appears to be the exception. They cover the installation costs and activation fee. If you cancel in less than 6 months, you're only liable for the cost of the Wireless Router they supply, provided you opt in for it.

It applies to all signups after 5 October 2017. Before that they were a lot more strict with their cancellation policy.

Not sure how good their packages are though.

lexor

Expert Member
I'm also in Durbanville with Vumatel & Cool Ideas - 100/10 package.

VERY happy with download speeds.