Vumatel Installation Issues

niVoque

For those of you with Vumatel Fibre - I need some help. I am dying here waiting for this blue light to go solid on my CPE. The techie said it would be solid in 10-15 minutes but that was at 2pm today... Did this also take as long for anybody else? I also am unable to send packets on this CPE's LAN - is that possibly from the provisioning?

I seem to have 2 connectors on my boundary wall box (which makes it very likely to be multi-point fibre), and something interesting is happening here. My CPE is connected to one of the connectors (which is obviously a single-mode fibre CPE because of this). When I test the CPE in the first connector and connect it to my PC, I can only receive packets on the LAN network interface (obviously with my PC hooked up straight to the CPE), can't send packets at all. So curious me went outside and swapped the connector on the boundary wall to the other slot and now on my status I can only send packets and not receive them. This seriously leads me to believe that my box is multi-mode and my CPE is running single-mode with no converter. I hope I am correct in this regard.

Could anyone help me with the situation?

cyberbob1979

Expert Member
My experience (twice) with Vumatel (Once with Vuma direct and once with Fibrehoods) was that the provisioning takes 10 - 15 minutes but to reach stability and actually fully on can take a weekend ( Vuma - as they installed it on a Friday night) and on Fibrehoods - about 2 weeks because of infrastructure problems (and people fiddling with the cables at the entrance of the complex). Best thing to do is be patient and contact them every day if there is no change to check on the line provisioning...

Luckily - once it is in - I've never had an issue with it ever - it's just the nail biting anticipation before that killed me

AntennaMan

Expert Member
My Vuma install experience isn't great. The guys arrived as scheduled and the install took about an hour. They told me it can take up to 2 hours for provisioning to happen. After about 3 hours I start phoning (their support sucks). Still nothing. I finally flag down a passing Vuma bakkie and explain my situation. The guy takes a look and tells me that the installers had installed the wrong fibre sfp module.
It took him 5 minutes to replace and another 5 minutes later I was online.

niVoque

Thanks for the responses guys.

I have narrowed it down to be the SFP connector. Installers have used a singlemode SFP on my multimode wallbox. This is why I am only able to either send or receive depending on which port it's on.

Vumatel is seriously showing it's lack of knowledge here. 5 hours of research has explained this to me but I need 24-48 hours for a response? Pathetic.