Vumatel outage ?

daveza

Honorary Master
Been down all afternoon - nothing on their FB page at all.

1549908927909.png

1549908973576.png

Syphonx

Expert Member
Not down in CPT CBD, but I know Belville/Brackenfell areas are down

daveza

Honorary Master
And if you follow their Twitter feed or Facebook page there's not a mention of it.

CandyMan_ZA

Whole of Northern Suburbs is down since load shedding yesterday. Not a word from Vumatel, not on their website, not on their IVR, not on Facebook, no tweet, nothing. I can accept a technical issue but I can't accept that they have not made on statement or posted something, it's been more than 8 hours, poor service from Vumatel.

Adksuperman

As you are aware, Vumatel hosts the DHCP server internally on the Active Ethernet network. With the introduction of load-shedding on a mass scale, we have seen DHCP broadcast storms after the power has been restored. Whilst we have segregated the network into smaller DHCP domains, the volumes of DHCP requests, given the size of the load-shedding areas, are still considerably high.

These broadcast storms have resulted in some ISP customers (end-users) receiving an updated IP address, in some instances, later than usual. In a worst-case scenario, this has been recorded up to 2 hours after the power has been restored. The sudden volume of DHCP requests results in some DHCP requests being dropped by the Vumatel switches, requiring repeated DHCP requests before the ISP modem receives a response and assigned IP address.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
As you are aware, Vumatel hosts the DHCP server internally on the Active Ethernet network. With the introduction of load-shedding on a mass scale, we have seen DHCP broadcast storms after the power has been restored. Whilst we have segregated the network into smaller DHCP domains, the volumes of DHCP requests, given the size of the load-shedding areas, are still considerably high.

These broadcast storms have resulted in some ISP customers (end-users) receiving an updated IP address, in some instances, later than usual. In a worst-case scenario, this has been recorded up to 2 hours after the power has been restored. The sudden volume of DHCP requests results in some DHCP requests being dropped by the Vumatel switches, requiring repeated DHCP requests before the ISP modem receives a response and assigned IP address.
When you say "we" are you quoting Vumatel or do you represent Vumatel in some capacity?

HeftyCrab

Expert Member
Whole of Northern Suburbs is down since load shedding yesterday. Not a word from Vumatel, not on their website, not on their IVR, not on Facebook, no tweet, nothing. I can accept a technical issue but I can't accept that they have not made on statement or posted something, it's been more than 8 hours, poor service from Vumatel.
Im sending this on my Vumatel fibre line, from the Northern Suburbs. It is most definitely up (for me at least). We did have some issues yesterday when I got home after work, but restarted my router and all was well.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
In a worst-case scenario, this has been recorded up to 2 hours after the power has been restored.
Bullschit...

When power came back on at 16:30, the dreaded flashing blue light on the CPE was going full swing.
I gave it an hour before calling WA. They said Vumatel has issues.

At 20:30 I saw the blue light had stopped flashing, but the account wasn't authenticating as shown by the orange internet light on my router.

Restarted everything and blue light started flashing again.

At 09:45 my router eventually authenticated, but browsing stayed unstable and intermittent untill midnight.

irBosOtter

Expert Member

That's a load of bullcrap, an excuse for something else that happened

SuperMario

There is definitely something wrong with Vumatel, ours is also not working 100% in the Northern Suburbs (Stellenberg Area) and it all started with Load shedding. Our fibre did come back online yesterday within 2 hours after load shedding, and was down again just a few minutes ago this morning, but it seems fine now.

eltherza

Expert Member
It came back up eventually after loadshedding, but it's not down again for some reason. Anyone know whats going on? Had to dust off the old DSL in the mean time.