Vumatel outage ?

Sopbeen

I actually received an IP this morning.... Just before I clicked renew/release. Didn't get another IP.

Down on Vuma in Durbanville, got 3 friends down too - 1 Brackenfell and another 2 Durbanville.

HeftyCrab

Expert Member
Im sending this on my Vumatel fibre line, from the Northern Suburbs. It is most definitely up (for me at least). We did have some issues yesterday when I got home after work, but restarted my router and all was well.
Hmmm. Shortly after posting this mine went down. Still down.

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
Yeah, down yesterday for about two hours after the electricity went on. They responded to someone's Facebook message saying that although all their equipment is on backup power, it's the thousands of ONT's that need to authenticate again. Yeah, right. Was off this morning again, although electricity was on.

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
I actually received an IP this morning.... Just before I clicked renew/release. Didn't get another IP.

Down on Vuma in Durbanville, got 3 friends down too - 1 Brackenfell and another 2 Durbanville.
Yep, it was on, and about 7am down again.

Sopbeen

Just went back up again Durbanville side. Pretty weird as I got assigned the same IP that I manually released (which didn't work at the time).

daveza

Honorary Master
This was due to Load Shedding. Mostly... normally after things come up find but yesterday they had people going out to reboot central switches... as they can plan for outages but not the amount of outages and loadshedding eskom is gonna start throwing out way.

Schyte happens, but to have zero communication with clients is just lazy and unprofessional.

daveza

Honorary Master
Well Stage 3 just started. I wonder if Loadshedding will also mean Datashedding with Vumatel for 6 hours a day?

What are they saying, after every loadshedding outage expect a few more hours for Vumatel to get everything working again ?

GoB

Expert Member
What are they saying, after every loadshedding outage expect a few more hours for Vumatel to get everything working again ?
There was no loadshedding for the 15 hours prior to the break this morning for myself and Slootvreter, so I'm making no assumptions regarding loadshedding until proven otherwise.

Hein69

I can also confirm that things aren't working as they should in Durbanville.
Glad its not just me

SilverNodashi

Expert Member
As you are aware, Vumatel hosts the DHCP server internally on the Active Ethernet network. With the introduction of load-shedding on a mass scale, we have seen DHCP broadcast storms after the power has been restored. Whilst we have segregated the network into smaller DHCP domains, the volumes of DHCP requests, given the size of the load-shedding areas, are still considerably high.

These broadcast storms have resulted in some ISP customers (end-users) receiving an updated IP address, in some instances, later than usual. In a worst-case scenario, this has been recorded up to 2 hours after the power has been restored. The sudden volume of DHCP requests results in some DHCP requests being dropped by the Vumatel switches, requiring repeated DHCP requests before the ISP modem receives a response and assigned IP address.
What do you need DHCP for? Should the end user's networks not be isolated from the bigger network, and then their own equipment rely on DHCP? The core fiber network shouldn't run DHCP, but rather use hardcoded IP's. I don't know what routing / switching equipment you use but I imagine Cisco routers would have a feature similar to Ubiquity and Mikrotik, where you can quickly see a newly added device on the LAN and then give it a static IP address? IMO any routers, switches, firewalls, etc, should have static IP's as it makes management and security a bit easier.

Piesang

Executive Member
Any Vumatel Representative on here that can shed some light on this? If there are any light.

Loadshedding in my area again at 14:00 today. Does that mean that I will have no Fibre connectivity again until 22:30 tonight?

They blaming Loadshedding. There was no loadshedding this morning at 6:40 when they went down again.

daveza

Honorary Master
So, clients must wait two hours after every outage, surely they aren't serious ?

1549960088996.png

tibbydudeza

So why are only the norther suburbs effected ???.
Colleagues who live in Southern Suburbs have no issues with their Vumatel network.

It is very lame to expect me to wait 2 hours for a connection after power failure … it smacks of poor network design and not having planned for redundancy … it is not like we never had load shedding before.

I am going to ask for a refund for each hour my service is not operational.

And I have a UPS installed … still had a failed connection.

Sopbeen

Interesting how the new network wasn't designed to handle basic issues like power failure...

Cius

Executive Member
Just got an email from Vumatel saying essentially what has been shared here. Our home internet is working but behaving very strangely. Some sites are fine but when my wife tried to access a specific local page she got redirected to a Vumatel page asking us to enter a cell number to activate our fiber. Its been active for years. Really odd stuff.